Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu SDAP

Author Topic: SDAP  (Read 14124 times)

TMarsland

SDAP
« on: Jan 29, 2008, 12:24 »
Hey all,

I'm an ET1 with no current sea time. I was in the STA-21 program but have been disenrolled due to some unfortunate circumstances. Anyways, I'm getting ready to head to my first boat and am curious about Senior Supervisor Pay, or the SDAP increase. One of my friends has told me that there is now a qual card that must be completed to obtain the pay raise, but I looked at the SDAP message, NAVADMIN 140/07, and didn't see anything about this.

Does anyone have any information on this?

Thanks,

ET1

ddklbl

Re: SDAP
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2008, 07:03 »
I don't know what the rules are for changing your NEC.  I filled out a request chit as an E5 to change mine to 3363.  I don't know if as an E6 over six if it automatically changes without your direct influence.  Find the instruction that dictates NEC change and there is your answer.  I don't doubt what your friend is saying is true.  I don't think your getting the whole picture from him, though.  I wouldn't put it past a command to give junior guys, like I was, a qual card prior to granting permission to change the NEC early.  I am not so sure about more senior guys that are otherwise entitled to it.  Your friend probably has the answers as to fill in your blanks. 

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2008, 08:25 »
ET1,
You still need to qualify senior in rate to get supervisory pay.  So, you got a lot of work to do.  Reactor Operator is your senior in rate qual.  It'll take you at least a year to get there I'd guess. 

BTW...Don't think that because your an E6 that your deserve special treatment.  You're just a nub who gets paid more money then the other nubs.  However, if you have the right attitude and work hard, you'll be able to qualify faster.

We had a guy on my last boat that was a SPU ELT who showed up as a 1st class.  He had the attitude that he could do what he wanted despite being a non-qual.    He pissed the COB off with his attitude.  We pulled into Rota, Spain for a port call in the middle of our patrol.  E6 got to do his mess crankin' time while the remainder of the boat (minus duty section) was on liberty.  I noticed a significant change in his attitude when we left port and got underway again.  He ended up qualifying SS by the end of the patrol.
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

taterhead

« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2008, 09:27 »
ET1,
You still need to qualify senior in rate to get supervisory pay.  So, you got a lot of work to do.  Reactor Operator is your senior in rate qual.  It'll take you at least a year to get there I'd guess. 

What he said.

E6's must be over 5 years in, SIR qualified, and recommended by the chain of command (via special request chit). 

TMarsland

« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2008, 01:20 »
All, thanks for the advice.  I did see subnukederek's post regarding SDAP, but it didn't really answer my question. Nothing in the NAVADMIN talks about a qual required, just being an E6 over 6 assigned to a nuclear vessel or command. However, I'll talk to my friend some more and see what he can find out. He wasn't sure if it was something local to his carrier or not.  Also, as to my past experience, I was also a past SPU at NPTU Charleston, MTS-635.  I've gotten all the talks about being humble in quals when I get there.  I'm sure within the first week I'll be told I'm dink.

Thank again all.

ET1

taterhead

« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2008, 03:31 »
All, thanks for the advice.  I did see subnukederek's post regarding SDAP, but it didn't really answer my question. Nothing in the NAVADMIN talks about a qual required, just being an E6 over 6 assigned to a nuclear vessel or command. However, I'll talk to my friend some more and see what he can find out. He wasn't sure if it was something local to his carrier or not.  Also, as to my past experience, I was also a past SPU at NPTU Charleston, MTS-635.  I've gotten all the talks about being humble in quals when I get there.  I'm sure within the first week I'll be told I'm dink.

Thank again all.

ET1

Right, the NAVADMIN doesn't address it, but what LCPO is going to sign off a supervisory propay chit when the guy isn't even SIR qual'd?  In my experience, none. 

Then again, you are a turd pusher ;D
Good luck.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2008, 06:44 »

BTW...Don't think that because your an E6 that your deserve special treatment.  You're just a nub who gets paid more money then the other nubs.  However, if you have the right attitude and work hard, you'll be able to qualify faster.

I think I am going to cry.  :'( That was nice. :)

Justin

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2008, 06:45 »

Thank again all.

ET1

Well, you are dink, as a matter of fact.

;D

Good luck to ya.

Justin
« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2008, 06:45 by JustinHEMI05 »

TMarsland

« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2008, 10:29 »
Thanks. ;)

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2008, 01:58 »

Thank again all.

ET1

The NAVADMIN is based on NEC. The requirements for a 339X or 336X are that you be senior in rate (among other things). If you already have a 339X or 336X (unlikely) you have six months to qualify senior in rate before your command is required to have your NEC reduced to a 338X or 335X. Some commands fail to do this however If found out by DFAS you will owe the difference in propay for the time you where not eligible.

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2008, 06:20 »
Well, you are dink, as a matter of fact.

;D

Good luck to ya.

Justin
Hey all,

I'm an ET1 with no current sea time. I was in the STA-21 program but have been disenrolled due to some unfortunate circumstances. Anyways, I'm getting ready to head to my first boat and am curious about Senior Supervisor Pay, or the SDAP increase. One of my friends has told me that there is now a qual card that must be completed to obtain the pay raise, but I looked at the SDAP message, NAVADMIN 140/07, and didn't see anything about this.

Does anyone have any information on this?

Thanks,

ET1
The qual card is not approved yet.  There is a new instruction that specifically lists the watches you must qualify to get the supervisory NEC.  It also now allows the CO to remove your supervisory NEC for a short period of time if you are not meeting all the wickets (i.e. you are not qualifed SIR or EWS after six months on board (if previously qualified, depending on your situation).  I couldn't find the instruction on line.  I will give you the reference later today (I have it electronically at work).  Why the qual card?  We've seen many guys with the NEC detailed into leadership positions based on holding (and getting paid for) the NEC, but not ready to be in a leadership position.  The qual card would help prevent the rubber stamp of meeting the TIS, senior qual requirement and make sure guys with the NEC have been trained on all the other areas that comes with being a propulsion plant supervisor.  Some of you will remember PARS.  This will be similar to that.  The general rules for the supervisor NEC right now are:
1. Greater than six years in.
2. E-6 (or E-5 and met all requirements to advance to E-6)
3. Qualified senior-in-rate (SRO/ERS).  CPO's must be qualified EWS.  If you previously had the NEC and report to a new command, you have six months to requalify SIR or EWS (if previously qualified). You continue to draw the supervisor SDAP while in quals.
4. Waivers allowed for select individuals at the five year point who have qualified EWS.
5. CO recommendation.
The new instruction tells you exactly what to put on the NEC change form.  You can submit the form up to three months early so your new SDAP starts as soon as you meet the TIS requirement.  The hot-running commands have this on their admin tickler so the guys see the pay raise as soon as they've earned it.

Derek Murray
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2008, 10:22 »
  There is a new instruction that specifically lists the watches you must qualify to get the supervisory NEC.  It also now allows the CO to remove your supervisory NEC for a short period of time if you are not meeting all the wickets (i.e. you are not qualifed SIR or EWS after six months on board (if previously qualified, depending on your situation).  I couldn't find the instruction on line.  I will give you the reference later today (I have it electronically at work). 

As promised:  Here's the internet link.  The instruction is OPNAVINST 1220.1C (Sep 2007)

http://doni.daps.dla.mil/Directives/01000%20Military%20Personnel%20Support/01-200%20Personnel%20Classification%20and%20Designation/1220.1C.pdf

Derek Murray
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

S3GLMS

« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2008, 12:37 »
     I remember during the 1990's while I was in the Chain of command, that the guiding shipboard instruction for who could get Senior in rate pay was completely based in the Nuclear ship's Engineering Department manual (EDM).  It listed length of service, NEC number and watchstation qualification requirements by ship class and in some cases hull number. 

The number one problem that E-6's experienced was that if they transferred to the ship previously qualified senior in rate they had to re-qualify within 6 month's or risk losing the supervisory pro-pay and NEC.  If they were not previously qualified senior in rate then they had to get qualified to meet the requirements for command approval to get supervisory pro-pay and the NEC change. 

I know this is old information but I can't really believe the surface ship EDM's have changed all of that much because they were essentially NR, NAVPERS established criteria just reprinted in a shipboard document that was non classified. So, that is another shipboard reference you should look through because that is exactly what I remember having to do when routing the chits to the ENG.

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
« Reply #13 on: Jan 30, 2008, 01:46 »
     I

I know this is old information but I can't really believe the surface ship EDM's have changed all of that much because they were essentially NR, NAVPERS established criteria just reprinted in a shipboard document that was non classified. So, that is another shipboard reference you should look through because that is exactly what I remember having to do when routing the chits to the ENG.
  Don't remember the EDM having the specifics of what watches, other than CPOs have six months after advancement to qualify EWS.  The EDM was re-written a few years ago.  It applies to sub and surface.  The EDOM, which amplifies the EDM, is now class specific.  It does not include specific NEC procedures.

Derek
T. Roosevelt

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?