Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Can I change job at boot camp? honeypot

Author Topic: Can I change job at boot camp?  (Read 30691 times)

df0lks

Can I change job at boot camp?
« on: Feb 04, 2008, 12:45 »
Is it possible to change my job to nuke at boot camp?

I scored 88 on the asvab and 69 on the nuke test. My current job is AECF and I'm due to leave in 9 days(02/13). I require a waiver because my husband is not a US citizen. I don't know how long it will take for the waiver to go thru, but I know that I am more than satified with my current job and I am ready to leave as soon as possible. I already go in as E-3 because of college credits.

If I got to bootcamp and they see that I am qualified for nuke and my waiver is approved, is it likely that I can get switched to nuke?

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
  • CONFIRMED!: The dumbest man on the planet
Re: Can I change job at boot camp?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2008, 01:04 »

I scored 88 on the asvab and 69 on the nuke test. My current job is AECF and I'm due to leave in 9 days(02/13). I require a waiver because my husband is not a US citizen. I don't know how long it will take for the waiver to go thru, but I know that I am more than satified with my current job and I am ready to leave as soon as possible. I already go in as E-3 because of college credits.

If I got to bootcamp and they see that I am qualified for nuke and my waiver is approved, is it likely that I can get switched to nuke?

Welcome to NukeWorker and thank you for your service. Try looking at some of the threads in Navy: Getting In, you should find some answers to your question. Here is a good place to start:

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,11513.0.html

Good Luck and again thank you for your service ;D
If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many days will it take a grasshopper with a rubber foot to kick a hole in a tin can?

Forum rules..http://www.nukeworker.co

df0lks

« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2008, 01:29 »
Thank you for the reply. I looked through the posts, but didn't find anything about changing job while at bootcamp. I know that I can change while in DEP if my waiver is approved, just trying to weigh my options because I am ready to leave asap ;D.

taterhead

« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2008, 04:36 »
I'll be honest with you, I wouldn't leave until I have exactly what I want in writing. 

They aren't under any obligation to change you over once you leave.  If you could wait to go, I would wait.  You could tell your recruiter that you aren't leaving until you get your waivers, and let him/her sweat it out.  They will be way more interested in getting your paperwork done at that point.

After you leave, you get what the contract says unless someone feels like doing you a favor.

rlbinc

« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2008, 05:42 »
It happens. People do change jobs at boot camp. Nothing in the Armed Forces is really what is known in the civilian world as guaranteed.

The Greatest Guarantee - The GI Bill...
Think you have a GI Bill? Hundreds of thousands of Vietnam Era veterans were denied benefits. The late 1970's recession was so bad that people actually used their GI Bill because the job option simply wasn't there. This impacted the federal budget pretty seriously.
The government "changed" the GI Bill to the "Montgomery GI Bill" which required service members to either (1) re-enlist to get the MGIB or (2) lose much of their 10 year eligibility of the Vietnam Era GI Bill. In any case- 12/31/89 was the latest benefit paid under the old GI Bill.
If you got out in 1985, your benefit eligibility period was cut in half. Lo and behold, The Montgomery GI Bill didn't come close to matching the Vietnam Era GI Bill ( 445/month for 45 months) as promised.

A member of the Armed Forces has so little legal recourse with the US Government, that an enlistment contract has been interpreted to be a de facto waiver of rights.

My advice is to read carefully and understand your contract. Get help from an attorney, if you need it. Understand that once signed - you have very little recourse.

"The Navy is not a democracy, its a dictatorship designed to defend a democracy."
-Anonymous Enlightened Non Commissioned Officer

taterhead

« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2008, 06:04 »
Sure it happens.  But it doesn't have to happen, and if it doesn't happen, you have no leg to stand on.

I am just saying that if your contract says you are going to be a nuke, then chances are you will be a nuke.  If it doesn't, well, you do the math.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2008, 06:26 »

DO NOT LEAVE FOR BOOTCAMP if you want nuke. You do NOT have to leave for bootcamp, let your recruiter know you want to switch NEC's. He should go out of his way to get a nuke in...

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2008, 02:35 »
Can you change? yes
Is it likely? that all depends on the manning of the FC community (rating for the AECF program) if FC manning is high then yes you may be able to change is FC manning is low you will not be able to change.

Currently FC manning is up in the air, the recent rating mergers have thrown that comunity all out of wack.

df0lks

« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2008, 09:28 »
Thank you all so much. This is exactly the information I needed (and then some lol). I'll just stick it out and wait for the waiver. I might as well keep my options open while I have them, cause once I'm in... ;)

Offline thenukeman

• Very Heavy User
  • Elements Rule Battle , Elementis Regamus Proleium
« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2008, 09:35 »
It is probably best to try to change it before you leave as Suggested.  I was an executive officer of a training unit and the only people I reclassed were people who failed school.  I got one person who had a degree in Chemistry who was told he could go to his Basic and then go to officer training.  He wrote his Senator while in Nuke School to get Officers nuke school. He went through all the Enlisted and about the last 2 weeks of training he was given a slot.  He finished his Enlisted school and had to go to OCS before he went Officer Nuke.  To be honest with about 250 trainees per group it is almost impossible to get something out of the ordinary done in Basic.
Get it changed now or stand fast no matter how mad the recruiter gets.  

Offline thenukeman

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: Feb 05, 2008, 03:46 »
Also 88 is a real low ASVAB score for Nuke.  You are going to have to try extra hard.  Most people that failed out I seen had borderline scores, So that day you want to go out and get drunk or goof off, FORGET ABOUTIT,  Stay in and study or get a loser speciality and lose your bonus. 

Offline mikec426

• Light User
« Reply #11 on: Feb 05, 2008, 07:52 »
I put a guy in with a 64 on the ASVAB...  It all depends on your line scores...

Anyway...  +1 on what's been said.  Wait for the waiver.  Then the hurdle will be getting a shipping seat.  Don't know if you're in the East or West half of the U.S.  I'm in Region West and winning the lottery may have better odds than getting a shipping seat for a female to boot camp in under 10 months.

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #12 on: Feb 05, 2008, 08:19 »

Anyway...  +1 on what's been said.  Wait for the waiver.  Then the hurdle will be getting a shipping seat.  Don't know if you're in the East or West half of the U.S.  I'm in Region West and winning the lottery may have better odds than getting a shipping seat for a female to boot camp in under 10 months.

I agree. I only had and 80 somthing on my ASVAB and had an academic waiver for low achivment. However I sailed thought A and Power school on "vols"

Offline thenukeman

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #13 on: Feb 05, 2008, 08:26 »
I forgot this is navy, A minimum ST 95 for Army Nuke.  No wonder when I was at a plant all the Army Guys were NRRPT none of the Navy were.  LOL

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 05, 2008, 10:04 »
I forgot this is navy, A minimum ST 95 for Army Nuke.  No wonder when I was at a plant all the Army Guys were NRRPT none of the Navy were.  LOL

So how does ST relate to ASVAB? Does the Army still have nuclear operators I thought they were phased out in the 70's or 80's. The barge in Panama and the reactor in the antarctic I thought were the last two operational Army reactors.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 05, 2008, 10:12 »
So how does ST relate to ASVAB? Does the Army still have nuclear operators I thought they were phased out in the 70's or 80's. The barge in Panama and the reactor in the antarctic I thought were the last two operational Army reactors.

Yes they are all gone since the 70's and currently are in a safeshut down mode with no fuel since the 70's. Of course there was SL-1 that was an Army reactor.... but they auto ejected that fuel.  :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_Nuclear_Power_Program
« Last Edit: Feb 05, 2008, 10:27 by Marlin »

taterhead

« Reply #16 on: Feb 05, 2008, 10:28 »
Yes they are all gone since the 70's and currently are in a safeshut down mode with no fuel since the 70's. Of course there was SL-1 that was an Army reactor.... but they auto ejected that fuel.  :)

Army nuclear power...only the strong survive(d). :P
« Last Edit: Feb 05, 2008, 10:31 by taterhead »

Offline thenukeman

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #17 on: Feb 06, 2008, 06:35 »
Army Is Nuclear war, Fallout predictions, Shielding of tanks, Stay times, More like get the He** out of there, not many of us, Air ground coorelation factor with helicopters to calculate ground dose,   Crossing fall out zones, Hint don't walk across, tank it or fly over etc.  Thats basic army nuke, and for your oral board do not bring a calculator, they will say the EMP Electromagnetic pulse got it andcalculate by hand + or - 20percent of school solution.  Then ofcourse Nuclear target analysis with moderat, emergency, negligible risk criteria thrown in based upon the reading of a tactical dosimeter that starts at 50 R and ends at 450 R,  So I say engage the bad guys with the 150 to 450 R peole , bring the others back and given emergency risk criteria, which means the general and I are about 30 miles away from a million bad guys and we got a fewed R'd up people to barely hol them I say Nuke em while engaged.  Aw yes, now general lets get back to our coffee.
« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2008, 06:41 by thenukeman »

df0lks

« Reply #18 on: Feb 06, 2008, 10:44 »

I am prepared to work hard to complete nuke training, but waiting for a ship date is what I'm worried about. I already have a great job that is also challangeing and will advance me to E-4 once completed; so I have 7 days to figure out what I want to do. I'm going to call today and check the status of the waiver.

On a side note, this is a great forum. I posted this yesterday and I've already got more than I was looking for. If I get into nuke, I hope to contribute my experience and knowledge here for others. Thanks everyone. :)

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #19 on: Feb 07, 2008, 02:20 »
Also 88 is a real low ASVAB score for Nuke.  You are going to have to try extra hard.  Most people that failed out I seen had borderline scores, So that day you want to go out and get drunk or goof off, FORGET ABOUTIT,  Stay in and study or get a loser speciality and lose your bonus. 

88 seemed about average from what I've seen.

df0lks - heres what I'm going to say.... I think deep down, if you truly wanted Nuke, you would have started with that. You also seem too responsible and mature to be a Nuke wannabe :D

df0lks

« Reply #20 on: Feb 11, 2008, 11:37 »
Well in recent news... my waiver was approved (my husband is not a US citizen) and in the beginning I was told that the only female nuke slot was available October 2008. I declined it and prepared to leave on my original date (Feb. 13) with AECF.

Long story short, I was called today by a Senior Chief, who told me that there was an opening Feb 19th (my birthday ;)). I sign my new contract tomorrow. I guess things have a way of working themselves out.  :)

Thanks to everyone who responded. I will be sure to contribute in the near future.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #21 on: Feb 12, 2008, 12:04 »
Good luck!

Justin

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #22 on: Feb 12, 2008, 09:21 »
Well in recent news... my waiver was approved (my husband is not a US citizen) and in the beginning I was told that the only female nuke slot was available October 2008. I declined it and prepared to leave on my original date (Feb. 13) with AECF.

Long story short, I was called today by a Senior Chief, who told me that there was an opening Feb 19th (my birthday ;)). I sign my new contract tomorrow. I guess things have a way of working themselves out.  :)

Thanks to everyone who responded. I will be sure to contribute in the near future.

enjoy the LAST time a sr chief will go out of his way to help you :-D have him get you a cup of coffee next time you see him :-p

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #23 on: Feb 12, 2008, 09:59 »

enjoy the LAST time a sr chief will go out of his way to help you :-D have him get you a cup of coffee next time you see him :-p

Oh this just struck that nerve in me that sends me off on navy rants some time... I need to go count to 10...

Justin

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #24 on: Feb 13, 2008, 05:10 »
Oh this just struck that nerve in me that sends me off on navy rants some time... I need to go count to 10...

Justin

haha I wasnt serious :D  Our khaki's have earned the right to order us blue shirts around :) (well... most of them anyway)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?