Career Path > Outages

Where will you be spending the spring outage season?

<< < (4/5) > >>

G-reg:

--- Quote from: ShovelHeadRed on Feb 06, 2008, 06:25 ---..Hey,,G-reg..I know you are fresh out of the Navy,,,so you don't remember the big IRS takeaway at D.C.Cook, in the 90's...you better reread or read MaxParity's post about perdilio..prediem...per-diem whatever..there were many R.A.T.'s that were doing what you described,,and had to pay quite a large sum of money ...MaxParity said he wouldn't advise doing what you are..Beercourt told you what he thought..and Rhennhack told you Bartlett reads these posts,,,so wake up...if you get a good deal..keep it to yourself, or like what happened at Cook,,which was someone getting busted for taxes and ratting out their Buddy's, so their payment to Uncle would be less could happen to you,,believe me, this isn't that canoe club you are used to, this is the real world, brother,,and it's every tech for themselves..if you don't believe me..wait until layoff time comes and you haven't bought the site coordinator or the lead tech enough beer or like at Duke ( bought enough Oklahoma salsa), you will be numero uno, and the money spenders will there when you go to Massachusetts for an unemployment check, or do you know about that, yet?..red
--- End quote ---
Red,
I read you loud & clear, and I read MaxParity's post (http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,7256.msg50653.html#msg50653).
None of what I posted really struck me as a scam.  I'll take per diem whenever/wherever it's offered, and keep all of my receipts, and I'll sort it all out at the end of the year.  If the per diem (or any part thereof) ends up as taxable income, then I'll "give unto Caesar ..." as required.  But I think it would be senseless to turn down ANY per diem on the basis that it could be taxed; that would be similar to saying "don't give me a pay raise because it will make my taxes go up".  Taking the extra money and paying the extra taxes (if/when required) still ends up as an overall net deposit in my bank account.  So I guess I don't count the presence/absence of per diem as a state secret...
Favoritism isn't a monopoly anywhere, either.  My failure to embrace the ways of the Inner Circle is the primary reason it took me 18 years to make Chief here - and you may make of that whatever you choose to.  I'll do what I get paid to do - to the very best of my ability - and if I subsequently get dropped early because I didn't make somebody's SPECIAL list, then so be it; I'll take my pink slip and go work somewhere else.  Some people are more about playing the game, and it certainly does work well for them - to each their own...  What works for me doesn't have to work for anybody else.
Peace, everybody.
 - Greg

PWHoppe:
G-reg,

You're on the right track. I too was at the Cookie Farm during the great Per-Diem bust. It was not as simple as it all sounds. Some (not all) of the folks involved did NOT live greater than 50 miles from the plant. There were also many of those involved who had been at the plant in excess of 2 years continuously. Get a good tax professional and let the chips fall where they may. Good Luck  ;)

To stay on topic, I'll be at the Besse ;D

Cathy:
Damn the time off went too fast!!
Leaving for Brunswick soon and then off to Summer and then off for summer!!

Camella Black:

--- Quote from: G-reg on Feb 05, 2008, 06:11 ---Millstone.  The pay struck me as fair, especially for my first-time-ever outage.  And I live just outside of 50 miles from the plant, so I'll draw PD and still be able to commute (3.5 gallons of gas per day still beats lodging costs, but if prices go up any further I may have to recalculate...).  I'm hoping I'll be lucky enough to roll into another outage during the ramp-down, but I'm not betting the farm on it - one day at a time, and I'll see what tomorrow holds when I get there.

But for now, Millstone is what I've got.

- Greg

--- End quote ---

Hey, Millstone is a great place to work, please tell everyone that Henry and Camella Black said hello.

HousePuke:
Fitzpatrick.  Not an outage, just a new "house"puke job. 

Actually, happy to be here. 

Good luck and safe travel to those of you working the road.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version