Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu performance honeypot

Author Topic: performance  (Read 15827 times)

texan168

performance
« on: Feb 08, 2008, 09:09 »
I understand that this post has a lot of blowing my son's horn and I appologise  but I'm rationalizing that since no one knows who I am or my son is it really isnt. My son finished number one in A-school and is currently number one or near it at power school. My question is does where they place in school have any effect on their military and civilian careers other than being able to choose their first post?

taterhead

Re: performance
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2008, 09:32 »
It may or may not help him with his first tour choice...needs of the Navy will always prevail.

It will ensure that he doesn't need a waiver to get an instructor tour later if he so desires (reenlists).  It may help him out with an officer package later.

Beyond that, his job is just beginning.  His scores will all but be forgotten when he gets to the ship/sub.  He starts from scratch there, and they could honestly care less if he was first or last, as long as he qualifies on-time or early and contributes to his division/department/ship/sub.

As far as civilian stuff goes, I am inclined to say that no one really cares about school scores.  I am in the job market now and I have not yet been asked my class standing, and I can hardly remember it anymore.

Good on him, though.  It's a nice accomplishment.
« Last Edit: Feb 08, 2008, 09:33 by taterhead »

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2008, 11:44 »
A' School performance really does not matter.  That being said, if he chooses to apply for an officer program, it certainly is a feather in his cap and something that should be mentioned prominently in his application package.

Your son needs to graduate top half at nuke school then top half at prototype in order to be viable for instructor duty  The top half/top half thing is waiverable for prototype duty, but, I can tell you from experience, nuke school/ A school  shore duty is as good as it gets for a nuke.
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Fermi2

« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2008, 12:30 »
None of it matters, especially in the civilian world. Look at it this way, it's the equivalent of a guy showing up at the World Series Champs and saying he once struck out 10 in a junior high baseball game.

Mike

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2008, 02:03 »
I agree with what Mike said for the commercial world, and I agree with the others that it will have little, but some importance in the navy nuke world. That said though, its still an accomplishment for which both of you should be very proud.

Justin

texan168

« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2008, 03:35 »
Gentleman, I am immensely proud of my son for serving his country and appreciate your candid replies, I received a private mssg from one of you that was very informative and unfortunately i am unable to pm you back but want to thank you. I also want to say that I enjoy reading this site more than others as most of you don't try to blow bubbles up peoples asses as I have found on other sites.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2008, 01:19 »
I understand that this post has a lot of blowing my son's horn and I appologise  but I'm rationalizing that since no one knows who I am or my son is it really isnt. My son finished number one in A-school and is currently number one or near it at power school. My question is does where they place in school have any effect on their military and civilian careers other than being able to choose their first post?

choosing their first post? haha...

at best he will get a 3.5-3.8 eval and a hearty hand shake from the captain. his ability to put pen to paper doesnt neccessarily make him a good sailor, keep that in mind too.

However, hopefully he is squared away and is also attempting to help his shipmates with his astounding abilities. Good luck to him, and I hope he does well :)

Last but not least... tell him not to get complacent in prototype. I qual'd MUCH faster then our top guy their.

LDO4CNO

« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2008, 11:33 »
Congratulations on your sons’ performance.  Contrary to what Mike may say it certainly can help him in the Navy.  The better students who avoid discipline problems are far more competitive for Officer Programs.  I would advise him to apply for any Officer programs that he finds appealing and to keep working hard in school in the meantime.  Good performers in school often do well in prototype as well.  Being a good performer in both gives him a better shot at immediately becoming a staff instructor at prototype.  This defers his first sea tour, enables him to better negotiate his first set of orders as a Staff Pickup rather than as a pipeline student, entitles him to the opportunity to earn training experience, go to college, etc.  (I think Mike may have been a SPU, he should be aware of this.)
Bottom line, the better any of us do in any job we do (Military or Civilian) will always open more doors.  Tell him to keep it up.  BZ! 

Fermi2

« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2008, 09:10 »
While I appreciate the young man's service you'll never hear me congratulate anyone for doing what they were hired to do in this case do well on tests.

I was primarily referring to the commercial world. It might help him short term in the Navy but it won't help him in the commercial world. Also, in the Navy it's only worth something if he proves to be able to responsibly handle a watch station. I saw a lot of genius idiots not be able to identify a steam leak or an adverse trend even it the leak burnt them or the trend was so obvious a child could figure it out.

Mike

LDO4CNO

« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2008, 10:03 »
Positive reinforcement is a wonderful thing!  I have found it inspires and motivates people far more than other methods.  If there is one thing I wish I had figured out sooner, it is how to effectively use positive reinforcement.  Positive reinforcement provided to people that are doing what they are hired to do, will result in a happier, more productive and more effective work environment.  I suppose we agree to disagree.

taterhead

« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2008, 11:27 »
I never thought it my job to positively reinforce someone's dad, though. 

No smoke.  I couldn't tell you ONE of my Sailors' power school scores, but I could tell you every last one of them that was dinq on a watchstation. 

He could parlay those scores into an officer program, but he had better do it in power school, 'cause the fleet frankly doesn't care what his scores in school were.

What have you done for me LATELY.  That is the Navy way, be it right or wrong.
« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2008, 01:34 by taterhead »

mlslstephens

« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2008, 12:56 »
Positive reinforcement is a wonderful thing!  I have found it inspires and motivates people far more than other methods.  If there is one thing I wish I had figured out sooner, it is how to effectively use positive reinforcement.  Positive reinforcement provided to people that are doing what they are hired to do, will result in a happier, more productive and more effective work environment.  I suppose we agree to disagree.

I agree, and by the way, have I told you lately that I think you are doing a great job?    :)
« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2008, 12:57 by NaVLI4 »

taterhead

« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2008, 01:34 »
I agree, and by the way, have I told you lately that I think you are doing a great job?    :)

You two O's need to GET A FREAKIN' ROOM!!!!! :P

edited 8)
« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2008, 02:31 by taterhead »

mlslstephens

« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2008, 01:45 »
You two LDO's need to GET A FREAKIN' ROOM!!!!! :P
I know it was bad,  but I just couldn't help myself. :D

(Just to set the record straight, I'm not an LDO, but I am a mustang)  ;)
« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2008, 01:54 by NaVLI4 »

Fermi2

« Reply #14 on: Feb 13, 2008, 01:51 »

Agreed but when someone is about to enter junior high I don't congratulate them on being number 1 in kindergarten.

Mike

PapaBear765

« Reply #15 on: Feb 17, 2008, 08:20 »

I've often noticed that the navy's assignment of nuke graduates evens out the upper and lower percentiles.  That is, they keep track of how many of the poor performers they send to a ship and balance that with an equal number of great performers.  The middle of the road students (2.8 to 3.2 GPA) can go where ever.  So the cynical piece of advice I would give your son is to deliberately get a middle of the road GPA in order for his assignment after Prototype to not be influenced.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #16 on: Feb 17, 2008, 10:33 »
I've often noticed that the navy's assignment of nuke graduates evens out the upper and lower percentiles.  That is, they keep track of how many of the poor performers they send to a ship and balance that with an equal number of great performers.  The middle of the road students (2.8 to 3.2 GPA) can go where ever.  So the cynical piece of advice I would give your son is to deliberately get a middle of the road GPA in order for his assignment after Prototype to not be influenced.

dude... your avatar....  wow

anyway....  From the past few graduations, I've noticed mass movements to a single ship. last 2 were the enterprise, the one that just finished was the carl vinson. on paper, im fairly middle of the road, but i was a single billet out to the Ike. Not sure why, I even ASKED for the big E lol

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 17, 2008, 10:42 »
I don't know how it works now but most detailers that made the assignments when I was in were non-nukes. They frequently resented the early advancements, bonuses and pay that nukes got and it showed up in our orders if you did not get your command involved.

PapaBear765

« Reply #18 on: Feb 17, 2008, 01:36 »
On the other hand the order's you receive to go to your first command are not as easy to pin down.  I still think the needs of the Navy will always outweigh any thought of gpa to a ship. 

Remember to a Detailer you are a Qualified Nuke after prototype.  He does not care about gpa.  He's got positions to fill.

Everyone is right: the needs of the navy will prevail.  Having said that, unless there's a great need for someone to fill a particular billet, then they're going to try to even out the distribution of "hot runners" and "anchors."  Also detailers will try to meet the desires of the individual.  I always got whatever I asked for.  But at the same time, when I got to the PCU Texas (now the USS Texas) right out of prototype my orders were modified to the USS Montpelier due to their RC Division losing too many people and them going on deployment in less than two months.  So the needs prevailed.

Detailers now are nukes, too.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #19 on: Feb 17, 2008, 02:21 »
dude... your avatar....  wow

I had not noticed until you mentioned it. I pushed Papabear one notch closer to positive Karma.

mlslstephens

« Reply #20 on: Feb 17, 2008, 04:54 »
Everyone is right: the needs of the navy will prevail.  Having said that, unless there's a great need for someone to fill a particular billet, then they're going to try to even out the distribution of "hot runners" and "anchors."  Also detailers will try to meet the desires of the individual.  I always got whatever I asked for.  But at the same time, when I got to the PCU Texas (now the USS Texas) right out of prototype my orders were modified to the USS Montpelier due to their RC Division losing too many people and them going on deployment in less than two months.  So the needs prevailed.

Detailers now are nukes, too.
PB, welcome back after your smite induced absence.  Although, we typically stand on opposite sides of the fence on most topics, it is good to have your side of the story presented. 

I too offer a bit of K to you for your pleasant comments.

X

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?