Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Help, I'm 2 weeks away from the Comp!

Author Topic: Help, I'm 2 weeks away from the Comp!  (Read 8668 times)

millerUSC

Help, I'm 2 weeks away from the Comp!
« on: Feb 18, 2008, 11:39 »
Hi I'm at Power School right now (with the officers) and in like the 23rd week or so.  But I've been struggling the entire time, and it doesn't really look like I'm going to graduate.  But I've put in a long, hard fight the whole way and my advisor and my instructors know that as well.  I was just wondering what probably will happen, since I'm pretty sure it's not gonna happen (I've already even had an academic board, but they're gonna let me finish to the end anyway).  And if they get me a lateral transfer somewhere else, would I be able to voice my preference on where I'd like to go? Thank you.

JustinHEMI05

Re: Help, I'm 2 weeks away from the Comp!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2008, 02:37 »
I am sorry to hear things are not going well, despite your efforts. I am sure Gamecock or NavLiv will have more up to date information than I can give you, but when I left the Navy 2Q07, ENSs that didn't make it were being seperated. Before that though, they did transfer to something else. Might be back to that by now. Good luck no matter what happens!

Justin
« Last Edit: Feb 19, 2008, 02:40 by JustinHEMI05 »

Offline ruth13

• Sr Dosimetry Tech
  • Moderate User
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2008, 11:38 »
Just wanted to say - thank-you!  Sorry it isn't working out for you - but I appreciate all you've done. I don't know much about the program, just what I've read on here, but I do have a son in the army, in a program that is very difficult, so can appreciate the work, dedication, stress and uncertainty you are dealing with. I want you to know that I'm proud of you for continuing to work to completion even though you may not graduate - that says alot about your character. Whatever happens, I believe you will be successful! May God bless you!
'We do not believe if we do not live and work according to our belief."
Heidi Wills

mlslstephens

« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2008, 12:43 »
Hi I'm at Power School right now (with the officers) and in like the 23rd week or so.  But I've been struggling the entire time, and it doesn't really look like I'm going to graduate.  But I've put in a long, hard fight the whole way and my advisor and my instructors know that as well.  I was just wondering what probably will happen, since I'm pretty sure it's not gonna happen (I've already even had an academic board, but they're gonna let me finish to the end anyway).  And if they get me a lateral transfer somewhere else, would I be able to voice my preference on where I'd like to go? Thank you.

Miller, Fear not!...and keep trying.  I am close to the situation and I have extremely current information for you.  In my time here in GC, I've seen many O's come to my command having failed the comp and passing their academic board.  (I'm not saying don't try your hardest) (effort goes along way at these boards)

Once at prototype, you may indeed flourish as some who score well on exams don't do so well on watch and others who don't test well, do extremely well on watch.  Yes, there are exams down the road too, but standing watch is what counts the most.  Rightly so.

However, some people just don't make it through the pipeline.  Here is what is currently happening to O's who do not graduate from prototype.  There are two categories: lack of effort and lack of ability.  I don't think I need to go into detail about the lack of effort category...you don't want to go there.  But, if you work hard and just can't complete the school, the Navy wants to send you to another billet where you can be an asset.

The first thing that happens is you will fill out your request of the top 5 communities that you desire.  Then you complete your lateral transfer package, then you wait.  Since I have been "down the road", everyone has been granted their first or second choice of communities.  (just like the stock market, past performance does not guarantee future results)  :)

My advice to you is to work hard (not saying you aren't already) and give it your very best effort on the comp.  Then, see what happens; either way, keep charging.  I hope this helps.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2008, 05:51 »
See I knew you would have newer information. :) Hope he makes it though!

Justin

PapaBear765

« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2008, 11:49 »
Yes, there are exams down the road too, but standing watch is what counts the most.

Unless you're putting in for SPU, then you better have a good CAC average...

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2008, 11:14 »

didnt know officers had SPU programs  ;)

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2008, 06:50 »

I believe they used to and I always said they should. I have trained some terrific officer students that would have made great EOOW trainers... besides drinking/poker buddies  ;)

Justin

PapaBear765

« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2008, 08:18 »

Forgive me for breaking the cardinal rule of formal writing.  I post should have read: Unless one is putting in for SPU, then one better have a good CAC average...

And, yes, O-gangers used to get picked up as staff.  Don't know when it last happened.  If it's one thing prototypes are not short on is qualified EOOWs.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2008, 09:49 »
Forgive me for breaking the cardinal rule of formal writing.  I post should have read: Unless one is putting in for SPU, then one better have a good CAC average...

And, yes, O-gangers used to get picked up as staff.  Don't know when it last happened.  If it's one thing prototypes are not short on is qualified EOOWs.

We were pretty short, all the time.

Justin

PapaBear765

« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2008, 04:39 »
We were pretty short, all the time.

Justin

Well, where I'm at now the TEOOWs are never hurting for bodies unless 3 or 4 of them are on leave.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2008, 05:39 »
Well, where I'm at now the TEOOWs are never hurting for bodies unless 3 or 4 of them are on leave.

S**t that must be nice. That kind of manning would have saved me a lot of bitterness my last year. :)

Justin

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #12 on: Feb 25, 2008, 09:10 »
I've seen officers go down the road to NPTU that were three course failures.  The only hard and fast rule is that you must get your 5000 points, because the 2.50 overall GPA ain't waiverable. 

I saw many things during my tenure as a nuke school instructor in regards to how dropped officer students were treated...
1.  Hard worker....just couldn't make the grade...usually had the option to lateral transfer...NOT always...needs of the navy!!!
2.  total slacker...didn't work hard...lack of effort..... we went after the ascession bonus and kicked you out
3.  mediocre performer...mediocre effort...just kicked you out.

When I left in 2006, we were just starting to send failures on IA to Iraq or Afghanistan.

If you're a hard worker, don't sweat it.  Its not a career killer to fail out of the hardest school in the navy if you tried your very best.  Let us know how it works out for you.

I can give you more gouge via PM if your interested.  Let me know.
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline goobs22xx

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #13 on: Feb 26, 2008, 10:18 »

Maybe my Internet sarcasm detector isn't working today but you have to be joking.

I keep reading it trying to make sure, and I just can't picture it without tongue planted firmly in cheek.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?