Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Now it's time for another Good Idea, Bad Idea  

Author Topic: Now it's time for another Good Idea, Bad Idea  (Read 7967 times)

LuckyKid

Now it's time for another Good Idea, Bad Idea
« on: Mar 08, 2008, 11:46 »
Okay, while I'm at prototype, I need to start thinking about what boats to request. I'm a skimmer puke. Which boats are good, and which are lame?

Ready................go.

taterhead

Re: Now it's time for another Good Idea, Bad Idea
« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2008, 12:15 »
To be quite honest with you, to borrow a line from a song, "It's all the same, only the names change."

A ship that is "good" today can suck in 6 months with a new CO, XO, RO, DMC, you name it.  They all ride cycles; one ship might be operating well now and in a year might have MTT or NR living onboard.  Chances are that whatever ship you get, you will have a cycle of each.

I would first think about where you would like to live.  You should get a little time in port, so what part of the country is best for the things you like to do?  The choices are very different from each other, and I have been in all 4 carrier ports.  Is it important for you to be close to family?  You have to take that into account as well if that is important to you.

Where do you want to visit?  If Hong Kong, Singapore, and other Pacific ports sound interesting, then you want a west coast ship.  Europe or the Caribbean?  East coast ships go there.

You will find someone on each ship that will tell you that it sucks.  Having been on several carriers, I will tell you that, ship to ship, there aren't that many differences.

Fermi2

« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2008, 12:28 »
A pontoon or bass boat on the Tennessee River. Oh wait, not an option but just as relevant.

Mike

Offline G-reg

• Heavy User
  • C'mere and chum some of this...
« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2008, 11:21 »
Luckykid,

Taterhead is correct about focusing mainly on where you'd like to live.  After you have decided which geographical area you want (for example, Norfolk) then the next big criteria is ship's schedule.  Do you want to go to a ship headed for a two-year refueling overhaul in the shipyards this summer, or would you prefer a ship that's heading out on an extended overseas deployment?

Once you know which port you'd like to call home, Google the Naval Base/Station there and find out which ships are stationed at that port.  Once you've narrowed your search down to two or three ships, start asking the sea-returnee staff at prototype if they know anything about those ships' schedules.  And if you're only talking about one or two ships, you can try calling your Detailer (who will have some general information about upcoming schedules).  But keep in mind that nobody is going to give out detailed day-by-day, place-by-place schedule information over a phone line or a web page.

And finally, take everyone's opinions about 'this ship' or 'that ship' with a grain of salt.  There are good points and bad points to every tour in the Navy.  Even as a student, you've already seen this - how many students that went through your same class are going to leave saying "Prototype was an OK time", and how many are going to leave saying "Prototype sucked"?  Eye of the beholder, and all that.  Don't get too caught up in good ship vs. bad ship.  I've seen people have bad tours on good ships, and vice versa.  Most of the time, it simply boils down to "you get out of it, what you put into it".

So focus primarily on where you want to be stationed (geographically), and then determine which ships at that location are scheduled to do the things you'd like to experience in the Navy.

- Greg
"But that's just my opinion - I could be wrong."
  -  Dennis Miller

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 2008, 01:37 »
If you are talking about soon. Then I would try to get on the next CVN to start refuel unless you want lots of sea time then pick anyone of them. If you want to see the world and exotic asia then pick the GW (73) if you want refuel current (70)(bad idea) if you want next refuel (71) all others you will have a variable sea tour of deployments and other BS. I like most will say try to stay away form the prize (65) unless you are an EM (they are the only rate I have not heard comlaints form for that ship).

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 2008, 08:08 »
I can attest that the first part of a refueling overhaul (called RCOH) is a pretty good duty.  The end, however, is absolutely brutal.  I did two years on IKE during her RCOH.  I left before life started to get really bad for the nukes. 

But, I really don't think you'll have much say in your first assignment.  I know when I was enlisted and finishing the pipeline, I said Submarines--West Coast.  I got CVN 73--Newport News--Initial manning.
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline Loffy Muffin

• Moderate User
  • Little hand says it is time to rock and roll
« Reply #6 on: Mar 21, 2008, 12:49 »
boats are subs,

the others are ships (or fill in derogatory name here).

I liked SanDiego FWIW.  The subbase was nice.  the skimmer base was no so nice.  But, it probably beats Norfolk.  I would avoid that place if possible.  Bremerton is Ok.  Not sure what the other bases left.  I would take a carrier over a CGN if they still have those things.  They are women on carriers now, so that is cool. Plus, a carrier has a weight room, multi food lines, stuff like that...you can jog the flight deck.  Watch flight ops...Maybe more opportunities for classes once you qualify. 
See right through the red, white and blue disguise
With lecture I puncture the structure of lies
Installed in our minds and attempting
To hold us back
We've got to take it back, Take the power back

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #7 on: Mar 21, 2008, 07:08 »
I'm surprised that I am the first to say this, but hare goes:

"There are only TWO good ships in the Navy - the one you came from last, and the one you are going to next."
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

jowlman

« Reply #8 on: Mar 21, 2008, 09:06 »
Troy......Now you sound like a crusty old sea dog.....LOL ;D

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #9 on: Mar 21, 2008, 10:08 »
I'm surprised that I am the first to say this, but hare goes:

"There are only TWO good ships in the Navy - the one you came from last, and the one you are going to next."

Ah yes, fits perfectly with the only 3 things wrong with the Navy;

1. Calm seas.

2. The sight of land.

3. Nubs.

;D

Justin

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #10 on: Mar 22, 2008, 10:08 »

Ready................go.

Is this a legitimate question, or some sort of game to see who will give you lovins and attention?? Why not start with what YOU plan to bring to the boat, etc. How will you make that command a better place?

Fermi2

« Reply #11 on: Mar 22, 2008, 11:24 »
Is this a legitimate question, or some sort of game to see who will give you lovins and attention?? Why not start with what YOU plan to bring to the boat, etc. How will you make that command a better place?

I think I'm gonna by Dave a Beer. Heck make it two!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?