Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Miscellaneous Questions (New Recruit)

Author Topic: Miscellaneous Questions (New Recruit)  (Read 7403 times)

Agoodwin

Miscellaneous Questions (New Recruit)
« on: Apr 13, 2008, 01:53 »
Hello There,

I just went through MEPS and walked out with a nuke contract.  I had a couple of questions I thought I might pose while at the same time introducing myself to the community (If this isn't threadworthy, please let me know).

I have about 30 credits from my time in college as an engineering student before enlisting.  Is it likely that I would be able to get a degree while active?  If not, how long do you think it would take to get a degree ( My recruiter insinuated that Nuke school would be recognized for college credit at some institutions)?

My enlistment bonus was 16,000 USD for a 6 year active / 2 year reserve contract... does that sound typical?

My ship date is set for Oct 7th, but I'd prefer to leave as early as possible.  How often do you folks see a ship date getting pushed up?  I was told leaving earlier might also increase my enlistment bonus, but this seems odd considering it's really up to them when I get to leave.

Thanks in advance.

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
  • CONFIRMED!: The dumbest man on the planet
Re: Miscellaneous Questions (New Recruit)
« Reply #1 on: Apr 13, 2008, 06:39 »
Hello There,

I just went through MEPS and walked out with a nuke contract.  I had a couple of questions I thought I might pose while at the same time introducing myself to the community (If this isn't threadworthy, please let me know).

I have about 30 credits from my time in college as an engineering student before enlisting.  Is it likely that I would be able to get a degree while active?  If not, how long do you think it would take to get a degree ( My recruiter insinuated that Nuke school would be recognized for college credit at some institutions)?

My enlistment bonus was 16,000 USD for a 6 year active / 2 year reserve contract... does that sound typical?

My ship date is set for Oct 7th, but I'd prefer to leave as early as possible.  How often do you folks see a ship date getting pushed up?  I was told leaving earlier might also increase my enlistment bonus, but this seems odd considering it's really up to them when I get to leave.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to NukeWorker and thank you for your service to our country. ;D

Here is a thread you can look at regarding getting a degree while serving. Your other questions can be found (I think) by searching the forums, as I believe they have been the topic of discussion in the past. Good Luck and again Welcome to NukeWorker ;D

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,8006.0.html
If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many days will it take a grasshopper with a rubber foot to kick a hole in a tin can?

Forum rules..http://www.nukeworker.co

LDO4CNO

« Reply #2 on: Apr 13, 2008, 10:39 »
Welcome aboard Shipmate,

You will find your Navy experience to be educational in many ways.  You will find obtaining a degree while you are in is certainly achievable.  A little over 20 years ago, I found myself enlisting under very similar circumstances.  The Navy helped me get my degree.  Through correspondence courses, CLEP tests and years of night school, I was able to get all of the education I wanted.   The catch is, that it will be a couple of years before you have a lot of time to work on your Degree.  I was on my first shore tour before I had time to get serious about classes.  By then you will have a couple of years of operational time, a couple more hash marks on your sleeve, and some senior in rate qualifications.  All of these things coupled with your education in the Nuclear Training Pipeline, will get you several credits that many colleges will accept.  Your Career Counselors at all of your commands will have all of the details.  Bottom Line, work hard, do well, and the educational credits will come.  If for some reason you leave the service without a degree, you will be very close.  You Montgomery GI bill will easily help you finish it.

Regarding your enlistment bonus, that is typical.  The military tries to level load boot camp throughout the year.  They use bonuses to help provide incentive to fill the seasonal gaps, that are less desirable times for new recruits.  If someone drops out, and you fill their spot during a high demand time (Summer) then it sounds like they will offer you the higher bonus.  Good Luck

JB

Khak-Hater

« Reply #3 on: Apr 14, 2008, 11:22 »
First of all, congratulations on being a man and serving your country.  You've chosen the higher road, and, whether you find it pleasant or not, enjoy it.

As far as attending college while in the service, it can be done, and there are many routes to get there.  The Navy probably won't support any any higher education until you complete your nuclear training (i.e., A-School, Nuke School and prototype).  Then, once you get to sea, while available, the chances to make any real progress toward a real engineering degree will be very limited and difficult [Although things might (???) be better now in the internet age (e.g., UT offers a Masters in Nuclear Engineering over the internet)].  It looks like all the information that you're getting right now from the Navy is Pixie Dust and Rainbows.  It might be handy to get some real life examples of how it has been done.

Twenty years ago when I went through boot camp in Orlando, the Navy had screwed up the curriculum for A-school and my entry into nuke training was delayed for several weeks [get use to the term "needs of the Navy"].  Because of this, I was put to work digging ditches [manually] with the CBs for a couple of months.  Having had about three semesters of college, I went ahead and signed up for some college courses in the evening [as opposed to going out and getting drunk every night like most of my classmates].  That went well, so when I finally started A-school, I continued to take evening classes.  Then after A-School, Navy efficiency in scheduling led to another three month delay before my class was to start Nuke school.  Well, it was back to digging ditches for three months [I was getting to be a pretty good ditch digger by this point].  So, given the abbreviated two-month semester schedule of the night school that I was attending, I was getting pretty close to finishing my degree.  When Nuke school started, I only had a few classes to go, so I pushed on.

Then one day [several weeks into Nuke school] I was walking down the hall in Nuke school and passed this fat old bald dude that was in one of my evening classes [keep in mind that he was probably no fatter, or older, or balder than I myself am now, but in my memory he'll always be a fat old bald dude].  As I said howdy to him, I noticed that he was dressed in a Master Chief's uniform.  Well, the next thing I knew I was called into my chief's office where he informed me that it had come to the Command Master Chief's attention that I was taking college classes at night thereby cheating the navy out of study hours that I could otherwise spend studying for my Nuke school classes. 

I explained that I had a 3.6 GPA in Nuke school and was meeting all of my recommended study hour requirements.  He responded that if I spent that extra study time on Nuke school, I could have an even higher GPA.  When I protested that what I did on my free time was my business, he reminded me that you have no free time in the Navy.  It all belongs to the Navy.  He then gave me a direct order to stop attending my evening classes.  So, I spent the remainder of my free time in Orlando going out and getting drunk like most of my classmates. 

Luckily though, the prototype that the Navy sent me to in New York [S3G] was broken when I got there [stress corrosion cracking on the reactor inlet nozzle] and once I qualified on everything I could without having the plant operational, I had another four month delay, during which time I completed my degree.

So, it can be done during a six year enlistment, but you'll need to seize the opportunities when you get them, and roll with the punches.  I'll tell you this though, I had plenty of friends who spent all of their off duty time drinking and playing Rugby.  These guys had a blast while they were in the Navy, and once they got out, they had no trouble at all finishing their degrees within a couple of years.  So, if I were you, I wouldn't worry about it too much.  Do the job that the Navy gives you to do.  Enjoy the time that they allow you off the ship, and pick up your education again when you get out.  The practical experience you get will make school a piece of cake six years from now.

Enjoy,

MGM

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #4 on: Apr 20, 2008, 08:25 »
Agoodwin - hey dude, just wanted to offer some tid bits of info

1) I spent 13 months in DEP :( It takes a while because they fill up classes and you have to wait until  your cycle can come around. That said, you can push to get sent earlier.

2) your enlistment bonus is based off when you join. Why? Who knows... But you will make more money joining in the early part of the year (feb ish). Also... you have enough credits to get a "College Kicker" which adds anywhere from 2-8000 MORE on top of your bonus. Id go push on that, unless if you signed your contract already.

3)  despite what "khak-hater" (despicable, disrespectful name btw shipmate) says, you can get a degree fairly easily nowadays. With JUST our nuke training, I got accepted to thomas edison and got a VERY accelerated program in nuclear engineering. DONT THINK ABOUT going to college while you are in the pipeline. Thats not your point and purpose in life during those many months. Study hard at the school that matters and controls your future. However, once you get to your ship, and qualify ALL of your watchstations (will take you anywhere from a year to 2 years), then you are elidgable for TA (tuition assistance). I see people taking a couple classes a week, and they will have a degree before leaving the ship. If you dont get it on the ship, its VERY conducive to get it while on a shore command. I swear, almost everyone I spoke with during training pipeline was taking college for something. (Side note... I dont get TA, but I can take the PACE classes the ship offers)

4) Listen to khak-hater's last paragraph. I think he just went through a different navy then what you will go through

5) most important.... enjoy your time as a civilian :) Id actually see if you can get your enlistment delayed to the beginning of next year... think about it, its several thousand more dollars, and you get to spend the holidays with your family for the last time as a civilian.  starting A school in the beginning of december would kind of suck.

If you have any direct questions concerning the training pipeline, feel free to pm me.

good luck!

-Jordan

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #5 on: Apr 21, 2008, 12:08 »
Agoodwin - hey dude, just wanted to offer some tid bits of info

3)  despite what "khak-hater" (despicable, disrespectful name btw shipmate) says, you can get a degree fairly easily nowadays. With JUST our nuke training, I got accepted to thomas edison and got a VERY accelerated program in nuclear engineering.

Who cares about his name? If he hates khaki, who are you to judge? Anyway, is thomas edison offering nuke engineering now? Or is it still the non-accredited nuke engineering technology?

I also hear NY prototype has withdrawn support of the RPI program. Way to go up there!

Justin
« Last Edit: Apr 21, 2008, 12:09 by JustinHEMI »

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #6 on: Apr 21, 2008, 03:58 »
Who cares about his name? If he hates khaki, who are you to judge? Anyway, is thomas edison offering nuke engineering now? Or is it still the non-accredited nuke engineering technology?

I also hear NY prototype has withdrawn support of the RPI program. Way to go up there!

Justin

I'm not the one to pass judgement, I'm merely displaying my emotion on his name. I dont like it when people group everyone under one label. It's the same thing as racism, and I dont like it. His business is his business, I agree.

Anyway, thomas eddison has a regionally accredited Nuclear engineering degree. the NY protoype JUST recently took away support for RPI, but I dont know why. People were still taking classes when I went through as a student.

Floydbob

« Reply #7 on: Apr 21, 2008, 04:33 »
Thomas Edison is accredited but the degree is nuclear engineering technology, not nuclear engineering - big difference.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #8 on: Apr 21, 2008, 05:13 »

Anyway, thomas eddison has a regionally accredited Nuclear engineering degree. the NY protoype JUST recently took away support for RPI, but I dont know why. People were still taking classes when I went through as a student.

DUH because it was a good deal!

Congrats on furthering your education!

Justin

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #9 on: Apr 21, 2008, 06:54 »
Thomas Edison is accredited but the degree is nuclear engineering technology, not nuclear engineering - big difference.

Accredited yes, but not ABET accredited. This only matters if you want to get a PE licenes. Every state is different some will not let you get a PE even with a ABET accredited "tech" degree. But many states will not let you get a PE without a ABET degree.

link below for reqs
http://www.ncees.org/licensure/licensing_requirements_2005/survey_e.pdf#4
« Last Edit: Apr 21, 2008, 06:58 by 93-383 »

Offline War Eagle

• Moderate User
  • PWR SRO
« Reply #10 on: Apr 22, 2008, 08:09 »
RPI decided to close the Malta campus. It should happen within a year.  The degree program is still there for NPTU staff, however, they will have to travel to Troy for all classes.  I know the CO went to RPI after we found out the decision, and I'm pretty sure he tried to talk them into keeping the Malta classes open. Bottom line is nobody from the command "took away" support.  The program is still available, but its going to be a pain in the ass to drive to Troy for every class.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #11 on: Apr 22, 2008, 11:31 »
RPI decided to close the Malta campus. It should happen within a year.  The degree program is still there for NPTU staff, however, they will have to travel to Troy for all classes.  I know the CO went to RPI after we found out the decision, and I'm pretty sure he tried to talk them into keeping the Malta classes open. Bottom line is nobody from the command "took away" support.  The program is still available, but its going to be a pain in the ass to drive to Troy for every class.

Good to know. Thank you. The way it was put to me though, is of course "they" took it away. I am glad "they" didn't.

Justin

withroaj

« Reply #12 on: Apr 23, 2008, 10:05 »
From what I understand from a friend of a friend off the boat, the Navy stopped the TA program from covering RPI because guys would leave the boat early to go to NPTU, get the good degree from RPI and get out.  They also say that the only difference between a fairy tale and a sea story is "Once upon a time" and "Wait, this is a real no $#!tter."

If I may offer some advice (take into account I have only been in for five years and I haven't moved on from the Navy yet), don't fall into the FTN crowd too fast.  Your recruiter didn't lie to you, he just didn't tell you that there are long working hours and a lot of red tape involved in running an independant nuclear power program (don't get me wrong, it's getting out of control -- we spend more time proving that we work than actually working).  Try to be amazed by the marvel of modern engineering that it will be your responsibility to work on.  Reactors are cool.  Carriers are cool.  Submarines are cool.  As long as you always keep the awesome concept in mind the reality won't actually bother you.  In a sick way you can actually look at your situation as a privelege.  How many people actually get to go into a reactor compartment?

Since it will be a significant amount of time before you can actually start finishing your degree, make sure you enjoy the time you spend waiting.  It is really easy to hate being a nuke, but it is also easy to enjoy it.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2008, 09:05 »

AH! ok, I was really confused about what was going on. I had a couple staff members complain about not being able to attend college any more, so I took that to mean the command was halting support of RPI. thanks for the clarification!

93-383 - I can get that degree relatively easily, and it will put my foot in the door. It will be good enough to get a job working at a civilian plant. Besides, its only a start of my college education, I want to get my doctorate some time in the future.

withroaj- thats a great way of looking at it :)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 09:06 by Cycoticpenguin »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?