Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Should I even consider going ELT?  

Author Topic: Should I even consider going ELT?  (Read 17368 times)

andrew.pigg

Should I even consider going ELT?
« on: Apr 28, 2008, 03:41 »
Alright--Heres my background--

Im 20 years old with an assoc. degree under my belt for precision machining technology.  Im extremely mechanically inclined.  Now with that being said--Would it even be worth my time to try and get picked up into ELT or not? Is there any real benefit as far as monetary benefits go? MM is undermanned already and cant be guaranteed to be placed in MM, but I dont see why they would deny me even when I already have a degree in a related field.  On top of having that degree, I also have numerous certificates for welding and what not....so somewhere around 100 college credit hours already.

All I keep reading is "Oh man, if you get the chance go MM/ELT!! They dont do a damn thing!" Thats not me!! I love working with my hands and getting dirty, but honestly, are there any benefits to doing it for a person like me?  I auto qual. for nuke and scored a 93 on my ASVAB with a 266 in nuke portion.  Ive been through Calc II so math is really no problem and going through the program that i went though for my assoc. there was also a very intensive PLC and electrical portion working with CNC and crap like that. 

Im single, I love life--Ive got no kids and Im just looking at starting a new chapter of life and not be working another corporate america bull S*** job and want to travel, even if its in 30k leagues under the sea!! Im young, so what the hell. 

--Andy

mlslstephens

Re: Should I even consider going ELT?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 28, 2008, 06:35 »
Alright--Heres my background--

Im 20 years old with an assoc. degree under my belt for precision machining technology.  Im extremely mechanically inclined.  Now with that being said--Would it even be worth my time to try and get picked up into ELT or not? Is there any real benefit as far as monetary benefits go? MM is undermanned already and cant be guaranteed to be placed in MM, but I dont see why they would deny me even when I already have a degree in a related field.  On top of having that degree, I also have numerous certificates for welding and what not....so somewhere around 100 college credit hours already.

All I keep reading is "Oh man, if you get the chance go MM/ELT!! They dont do a damn thing!" Thats not me!! I love working with my hands and getting dirty, but honestly, are there any benefits to doing it for a person like me?  I auto qual. for nuke and scored a 93 on my ASVAB with a 266 in nuke portion.  Ive been through Calc II so math is really no problem and going through the program that i went though for my assoc. there was also a very intensive PLC and electrical portion working with CNC and crap like that. 

Im single, I love life--Ive got no kids and Im just looking at starting a new chapter of life and not be working another corporate america bull S*** job and want to travel, even if its in 30k leagues under the sea!! Im young, so what the hell. 

--Andy
I was just sworn in last week--Enlistment bonus=24,000$  Then again I do have 90 something credit hours and scored a 95 on the ASVAB and something like a 266 on the nuke portion. 

Andy, I have a few questions for you.  I've attached your two post from this morning that were 21 minutes apart.  What did you score on the ASVAB and how many credit hours do you have.  This may seem a bit picky of me to show the disparity between your post, but I would think you would know exactly what you scored. 

Welcome to the forum.  Thanks for raising your right hand.  From what you've said, you sound like the perfect MM; there are thousands of little condenser tubes that are eagerly awaiting your skilled approach with a pressure washer.   ;)  But seriously, there are other areas that you will be a huge asset in.  If you let your actions/deeds do the talking, you should be okay. 

Having just been sworn in, what are your dates?  Are you going submarines or surface?  I wish you the best in the pipeline.

andrew.pigg

« Reply #2 on: Apr 28, 2008, 11:25 »
Yes--I have 96 credit hours at one college alone--plus add on my certificates from welding--over 100 credit hours...I pushed myself hard through school running around 26-28 credit hours a semester.  I scored a 93 on my ASVAB--Im on my laptop and a good majority of the time I have to slam the keys to get them to work--my bad--plus it was around 0300 after a long day of work.

I have a ship date for November 3rd but Chief is pushing hard for me to go earlier--I only live about 4 hours away from Great Lakes and I have a few close family friends who are RTC's there and ill be going up there next weekend for a tour.  But im just not a pencil pusher or one who just sits around.  And no im not going to be on flight deck...I dont want to completely throw my degree down the drain...That thing cost a lot of money!!  Im looking at going on surface--I dont think I would do all that great on a sub haha--Im a freelance photographer, and I have to be able to see the sky!!

--Thanks
Andy

withroaj

« Reply #3 on: Apr 28, 2008, 01:03 »
It sounds like you would be a shoe-in for welder, but you'd have to go to a sub and you wouldn't be able to be an ELT.  That decision is tough to make because you have to decide before you have any idea of what your job will be.  As a welder you won't ever actually weld anything on the ship, but you will get a day or two ( a week if you milk it ) off the boat every year to requalify / maintain proficiency.

I love(d) being an ELT on a submarine.  It was not an easy job, since I showed up to the boat during a RL Div "renaissance."  The division had been sleazy for a few years and some past mistakes and shortcomings surfaced, and it was time to do the job right the first time, every time.  Fortunately we had a good chief who made us into a self-correcting division without blowing a whistle about all of the problems.

I don't know my point here, other than that you can be an ELT and hate it or love it.  You can also get away with being sleazy (for a while -- google USS Hampton).  You don't get paid more than anyone else, but you don't really deserve to get paid more than anyone else (except RC Div - THEY don't do anything!).  Being a nuke is hard work, and it WILL be extremely frustrating from time to time, but you will really get to see and do things that most people aren't even allowed to know about.

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #4 on: Apr 28, 2008, 06:38 »
In response to your monitary question. No, not while in the Navy. In fact and ELT currently recieves less SRB (reenlistment bonus) than an MM. In addition you will have to qualify more watches to be considered sienor in rate so it may take more time to get the higher pro-pay.
« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2008, 06:39 by 93-383 »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #5 on: Apr 28, 2008, 06:58 »
Based on the avatar, I'd say ET ............ definitely ET  ;)

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #6 on: Apr 28, 2008, 10:44 »
Well here is another tidbit that you might want to consider. 

ELTs have to take the MM test for advancement all the way up to E7.  There is tons more MM stuff on those exams than ELT stuff.  As an ELT, I seriously doubt you would know the little nuances of putting on a mechanical seal for a pump, the aspects of filling out a QA-2, or other Mechanical Maintenance stuff.  Not to say that all those things could not be overcome(thousands of SMAGs do it all the time) just that it is a little more difficult.  Of course you could volunteer( ;D ELT volunteering for extra work ;D) to help out M/RM with pump overhauls, valve repacks, etc. 

On the flip side, when you go to qual for EWS/PPWS being an ELT does have its advantages.  That is probably one of the harder sections of Sup Quals is Chem/RadCon. 

All in all based on what you told me, you would be a waste as a SMAG(if you don't know what that is, it is a look up NUB.  And you better bring a cold beverage with you when you get me that look up.  Mt. DEW or anything not diet!)  Now fair warning, the "fun" maintenance for MMs is few and far between.  You only get to tear a pump completely apart every once in a while for PMS or when it breaks.  Most of the time it will be some BS small valve maintenance or blow down this air tank or even blowing down the EOOW(snicker, snicker). 

Forget the SMAGs and go Mdiv Tough. 
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

andrew.pigg

« Reply #7 on: Apr 28, 2008, 11:30 »
Haha--thanks, yeah I know all about the navy slang--my uncle is an RTC and has given me s#$& all the time--especially since im a machinist and yeah, the avatar only shows a portion haha...im covered with tattoos from chest to toe.  Like with school...im a workaholic, while pushing 28 credit hours a semester I still had a job...and now that Im enlisted im driving myself crazy because im done with school for the time being...I dont have a "job" I run my own business as a freelance photographer--but I dont really consider that work. 

Edited by moderator for language.
« Last Edit: Apr 29, 2008, 06:10 by Marlin »

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #8 on: Apr 29, 2008, 09:21 »
I thought... well... doesn't matter since of course I guess all things are waiverable especially when it comes to nuke... but I was just going to say something about the tattoo policy these days but obviously it wasn't a problem for you. I am not even sure what it is anymore. Now I wonder why this new maintenance tech I work with was turned away from the marines for his tattoos. Anyway, good luck.

Justin

PS The Chiefs are going to love you.
« Last Edit: Apr 29, 2008, 09:23 by JustinHEMI »

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #9 on: Apr 29, 2008, 09:58 »
I thought... well... doesn't matter since of course I guess all things are waiverable especially when it comes to nuke... but I was just going to say something about the tattoo policy these days but obviously it wasn't a problem for you. I am not even sure what it is anymore. Now I wonder why this new maintenance tech I work with was turned away from the marines for his tattoos. Anyway, good luck.

Justin

PS The Chiefs are going to love you.

If it is still the same as when I got out, it goes a little something like this.

If you have tattoos that are not visible while in uniform(short sleeve ones) and are not vulger/racists/inflamitory/etc.etc.  No big deal
If you have some that can be considered vulger/blah/blah/blah then you have to apply for a waiver directly to the CO of your command.  Same thing goes for if they are visible in uniform.  This goes for tattoos already on your body prior to this policy coming out. 

For new tattoos, they can not be Vulger/etc and not visible in uniform.  You can get new ones just make sure they don't show. 

Piercings(aka Shrapnel) are ok for ears only(males can't wear earings while in uniform).  All other piercings are nay nays. My old CMC had a collection of various and sundry piercings that guys got caught with, including one of my buddy's nether region piercing(got him pulled from PPWS quals).

andrew.pigg

« Reply #10 on: Apr 29, 2008, 03:01 »
Well its pretty similar--I had to have a waiver for 2 of my tattoos...basically if it cant be covered by your hand while in working uniform you have to have a waiver from higher up approval that it isnt gang/sexist/race related.  All of my tattoos are religious..my half sleeve is of a dove with its feathers pulling flames up my forearm and hebrew wrapped aaround--

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #11 on: Apr 29, 2008, 03:25 »
Just promise all of us that you won't go and get your crow and rating symbol tattooed on your arm.  I know a guy that did.  He never lived it down.  Get something manly, like "MOM".

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #12 on: Apr 29, 2008, 03:28 »
Ah cool thank. I am going to have to look at this guys tats to see whats up. Of course there could be more to his story.

Justin

andrew.pigg

« Reply #13 on: Apr 29, 2008, 06:18 »

andrew.pigg

« Reply #14 on: Apr 29, 2008, 06:22 »
Also I had to fill out 7 pages of written statements stating that none of them are sexist, racist, or gang related describing each tattoo and its meaning--lots of paperwork and then getting pictures taken to send to some higher up to get them approved then I had to have an interview with the CO at MEPS--but it really wasnt that big of a deal, thats really the only hiccup I had at MEPS

Rad Sponge

« Reply #15 on: Apr 29, 2008, 07:36 »
Nice ink, you will fit in just fine on a sub.

West Coast or Hawaii all the way for you.

Bon Voyage.

Rad Sponge

« Reply #16 on: Apr 29, 2008, 11:25 »
put a round into your fuse box!

Hmm, I don't know what that means.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2008, 08:51 »
Hey andrew,  Here are some things that you need to consider

1) theres ALWAYS work to be done. If you are a hard charger, you can find stuff to do, and spin some wheels.
2) Being an ELT doesnt mean less work, or "no hard work". Its just different. I'm not an ELT, so I cant speak from a personal side, but I can see what they do, and on my ship, some of the hardest working people are ELT's. Sure there are some lazy ones, but thats unanimous throughout the ENTIRE navy!
3) I've heard to take what schools you can, but it boils down to your preferences. ELT was just something I didnt want to do.
4) ELT bonus = crap right now

thanks for your service :)

andrew.pigg

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2008, 02:17 »
Thanks for all your imput!! our CO at MEPS st louis is a Nuke--Im going to go in and talk with him sometime soon.  Either way im totally stoked---now the next thing on my mind is sub or surface....hmmm

Rad Sponge

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2008, 02:41 »
There are about two zillion threads about subs or surface.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2008, 01:05 »
There are about two zillion threads about subs or surface.

Um, I am not sure there is such a thing as zillion. You must be talking about septillion, in which case I agree there are at least the many threads on subs or surface. I can sum them up for him though... subs.  :P ;D ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SI_prefix

Justin

PS Sorry just bored. :)

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2008, 02:50 »
Well Sub ELTs and Surface ELTs and Enterprise ELTs are all different too.  Looks like you got a balancing act going on here for what you want to do.  Just go Surface and go Dirty Piper and learn to be a real mechanic. 

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2008, 07:17 »
Well Sub ELTs and Surface ELTs and Enterprise ELTs are all different too.  Looks like you got a balancing act going on here for what you want to do.  Just go Surface and go Dirty Piper and learn to be a real mechanic. 

LOL that has got to be one of the funniest things ever. A real mechanic... on a surface ship??? ROTFLMAO

Justin

andrew.pigg

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2008, 03:12 »
I love the sarcastic humor in all the posts!! Its flippin great--But seriously, I dont even see being a machinist mate as a real mechanic--Trust me, ive worked the precision machining field for 3 years now, talk about real machining!! Tolerance of +0-.0005 or less plus GD&T and all sorts of other things to take into consideration--not to mention being able to reverse engineer parts after theyve been complete destroyed.  Come home every day covered in coolant oil, metal chips, grease and whatever else.  Honing "oil" is the best by far--its refined lard oil that stains your hands for weeks and the smell stays with it!!  Steel toed boots are part of my everyday attire.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2008, 05:05 »
I love the sarcastic humor in all the posts!! Its flippin great--But seriously, I dont even see being a machinist mate as a real mechanic--Trust me, ive worked the precision machining field for 3 years now, talk about real machining!! Tolerance of +0-.0005 or less plus GD&T and all sorts of other things to take into consideration--not to mention being able to reverse engineer parts after theyve been complete destroyed.  Come home every day covered in coolant oil, metal chips, grease and whatever else.  Honing "oil" is the best by far--its refined lard oil that stains your hands for weeks and the smell stays with it!!  Steel toed boots are part of my everyday attire.

That is the second funniest thing in this thread. Thanks!

Justin

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?