Career Path > Navy:Staying In

How would you fix the NNPP

<< < (2/157) > >>

rlbinc:
The dial has been turned back on The Wayback Machine.

It is now 1980. Hope you enjoy punk rock.

The Navy is considering raising Nuclear Reenlistment Bonus cap from $15,000 to $20,000.

The Bureau of Personnel believes their desired retention rates of 40% first term, 50% second term, and 60% third term will be achieved - which will man all nuclear billets, by rate, in the proper proportion.

The Wayback Machine is now set to 2008.

The Navy does not now, and never has wanted everyone to re-enlist.
They want the truly disgruntled to leave. They want the truly motivated to stay. Plain and simple. Money won't do it. A new poster slogan won't do it. The Navy knows that.

So, dudes... and dudettes...

If you like it - stay in. I appreciate your service.
If you don't like it - do your time and get out. And I'll enjoy working with you.

Notice the positive energy? We make energy.

You can't fix the Navy, it's not broke.

You can enjoy the ride.

93-383:
1)   Eliminate the automatic E-5 for STAR- I know this is hypocritical since that is how I and many other people advanced to E5. But here is the problem our advancement is too fast due in part to poor retention. Our E5s are not ready to lead a workcenters our E6s are not ready to be LPOs and Many of our E7s are not ready to be LCPOs. As a community we typical base someones “rank” on their qual level or speed. Currently this is how it must be since you can easily have a six year E4 CRW quallified that has significant LOK and experience over a STAR E5. We further assign “rank” by “clicks”,politics, and other subjective factors. How can we function as a military unit when our rank means nothing amongst ourselves? 
2)   Raise the standard for NNPTC back up to their pre “no child left behind” nuclear navy. This will drop the number of incoming nukes I admit however that can be offset by incorporating more stikers and convential ratings in to the engine room. Many of the watches currently required to be stood by nukes do not require that level of knowledge (speaking for a CVN)

mlslstephens:

--- Quote from: withroaj on May 07, 2008, 01:59 ---While it is true that most of us folks who would post to this are somewhere between E4 and E6, meaning we have limited perspective into the "Big Navy" and its ability to monitor and resolve problems, maybe we can make our recommendations here in a respectful manner and someone can at least read them.

I guess I should preface my recommendations here with the acknowledgement that most of the issues with the NNPP probably need to be addressed at the command level,
--- End quote ---

Great post and awesome topic.  Withroaj, I'm posting this as my short answer for now * (I'll explain this in a minute).

Yes, the command level does read these posts and we, they do listen...sometimes.  That whole we/they thing sounds good.  [I say that as my gotee is growing out.  :P]

The command level is listening now more than ever because they have finally realized that their way isn't quite working.  IOW, keep this and other good comments coming.

* It is a very good idea to unplug the food processor prior to attempting to remove the blade...experience talking here!  Typing is tough...I'm AF JKL; (no SD).  I did this two days before my retirement ceremony.  Good going huh, now I have time to play golf but I can't hold the clubs with these bandages. 

Guess what I served at my retirement ceremony reception?

Finger foods  :P

Also, I'm one of those guys who enjoy pedicures and manicures [and I'm not afraid to admit it], so now I get a 20% discount on my manicures.  ;)

Sorry I got off topic, please don't smite.

Preciousblue1965:
FINGER FOODS ;D ;D ;D ;D

That is funny, I don't care who you are. 

Gamecock:

--- Quote from: 93-383 on May 07, 2008, 04:47 ---
2)   Raise the standard for NNPTC back up to their pre “no child left behind” nuclear navy. This will drop the number of incoming nukes I admit however that can be offset by incorporating more stikers and convential ratings in to the engine room. Many of the watches currently required to be stood by nukes do not require that level of knowledge (speaking for a CVN)

--- End quote ---

We as LPO's, LCPO's, DIVO's, PA's, etc...need to stop complaining about the level of knowledge todays newbie's have.  The current system is not going to change.  So,  it is a leadership challenge that WE as leaders need to overcome.

BTW...when I was a young nub MM3 back in 1990 I occasionally heard the "old timers" complaining about the level of knowledge of the nubs.   I'll bet if you if you went into the way back machine and emerged in the 1970's you probably would have heard some crusty MM1 complaining about the level of knowledge of his nubs.  Same thing over and over. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version