Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu So, I may be discharged

Author Topic: So, I may be discharged  (Read 6330 times)

Cycoticpenguin

So, I may be discharged
« on: May 31, 2008, 06:01 »
Ok guys, you know whats going on. I want to explore some things

Even though Im really junior, I still have QA, 3M and my SRW, and various non tld requiring watches done. Does that stuff matter at all? I would very much like to work at a civilian plant, but am unsure of what to do to go about that. How hard is it to get in the program at a civilian plant? should I expect them to accept me with open arms?

Does anyone have a good website that I can read up on this stuff for?  Im not sure of the heirarchy of nuclear jobs :(  (I dont expect SRO with my experience, or rather lack thereof, but I should be able to qualify for an auxiliary operator, no?).

Thanks in advance.

P.S. ->
Mike - I searched, but nothing seems to be similar enough to my situation to carry it over.

EDIT: I have done research on the company I would like to work for (entergy) if I get out, and it seems Auxilliary operator is right up my alley. Does anyone have any pertinent advice on how one would work up the food chain at a civvie plant? I know it may seem like im jumping the gun, but Im just trying to get my ducks in a row.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 06:27 by Cycoticpenguin »

JustinHEMI05

Re: So, I may be discharged
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 07:37 »

Does anyone have a good website that I can read up on this stuff for? 

www.nukeworker.com

Sorry, couldn't resist. :)

You may or may no be qualified for NLO, it really depends on the utility. All you have to do is read the job posting qualifications, and submit your resume. Mike will be more usefull with this info though, since I am still green behind the ears out here myself.

Justin
Justin
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 07:40 by JustinHEMI »

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 10:12 »
Even though Im really junior, I still have QA, 3M and my SRW, and various non tld requiring watches done. Does that stuff matter at all?

The fact that you completed NNPS and NPTU alone is enough for some companies to hire you. In fact, I have seen hires that didn't finish NPTU. Of course, they were hired because of what they said and did during the interview and examinations, not because they were discharged prior to completing NPTU.

The longer you are in (higher percentage of first enlistment completed) the cleaner you will be considered. After your initially battery of quals is completed (through ERS) you will then get "bonus points" from commercial nuke OPS for EWS and EOOW qualifications. But there is no hard and fast requirement for ERS.

And Justin is right about the best website!
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #3 on: Jun 01, 2008, 04:40 »
Roll Tide please give us an update.

I've sent many a PM but your box is full.  PM me again with your numbers.  I'd like to catch up.

Thanks,

Jason

Should be better now. Wondering what happened...
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
« Reply #4 on: Jun 01, 2008, 07:02 »
CP,

Don't sweat your qualifications. I am in a class of 20 NLOs and some of them have biology degrees, hp degrees, physics degrees, and some have no degree and no nuclear experience. What I am saying is don't be discouraged by your situation.

Its all in the presentation and the POSS.

The POSS is easy, just taken at a quick pace.

Jason

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #5 on: Jun 02, 2008, 08:08 »
CP,

Don't sweat your qualifications. I am in a class of 20 NLOs and some of them have biology degrees, hp degrees, physics degrees, and some have no degree and no nuclear experience. What I am saying is don't be discouraged by your situation.

Its all in the presentation and the POSS.

The POSS is easy, just taken at a quick pace.

Jason

so its power school all over again? :D

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #6 on: Jun 02, 2008, 10:35 »

so its power school all over again? :D
Worse, you actually have to know something.

Justin

withroaj

« Reply #7 on: Jun 04, 2008, 09:01 »
Not to play devil's advocate too hard here, but time is running out.  Reenlistment paperwork takes about 45 days to process.  That means you may be running short on time to serve god and country for two more years (or get money for nothing). 

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #8 on: Jun 08, 2008, 03:22 »
Not to play devil's advocate too hard here, but time is running out.  Reenlistment paperwork takes about 45 days to process.  That means you may be running short on time to serve god and country for two more years (or get money for nothing). 

I had to cancel my reenlistment date. I get screwed if I get discharged.

Go navy... :(

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?