Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Navy Achievement Medal

Author Topic: Navy Achievement Medal  (Read 36554 times)

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
Re: Navy Achievement Medal
« Reply #25 on: Jul 10, 2008, 11:44 »
You fellers ever heard of getting one on LIMDU? 

I have.....

But the guy was TAD working for a 3-star while being on LIMDU.
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

withroaj

« Reply #26 on: Jul 11, 2008, 11:45 »
I have.....

But the guy was TAD working for a 3-star while being on LIMDU.
What about a charming, witty second class going to work for a shipyard tech code, catching the training program up by about three years and saving the shipyard at least $40K in the process.

You have to remember being a young blue shirt and catching wind of an award headed your way.  Even though the awards don't mean too much, the prospect is still exciting.  Tack a little star onto my NAM and I will feel like I have less trouble explaining why I am still E5 after almost six years (for some reason I like to excel, get noticed and then torpedo my own career).

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
« Reply #27 on: Jul 11, 2008, 12:03 »

You have to remember being a young blue shirt and catching wind of an award headed your way.  Even though the awards don't mean too much, the prospect is still exciting.
I remember....but despite my studliness as an enlisted MM, I didn't get my first NAM until I was a LTJG    :'(

« Last Edit: Jul 11, 2008, 12:05 by Gamecock »
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

withroaj

« Reply #28 on: Jul 11, 2008, 12:14 »
I remember....but despite my studliness as an enlisted MM, I didn't get my first NAM until I was a LTJG    :'(

They were probably harder to come by back in the day.  See: "Why was the nuclear Navy better back then?"

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #29 on: Jul 11, 2008, 01:03 »
I remember being recommended for a NAM:
We did so much better than the Radiation Controls Officer (Tender) expected on RCPE, that he put me in for one. It didn't get approved up the line. He kept putting in for each level lower than the previous. I ended up with an RCO letter of appreciation. How many points do you think a letter of appreciation from a LT in a LTCDR billet is worth for advancement?

:o
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

withroaj

« Reply #30 on: Jul 11, 2008, 01:05 »
None, but at least you know you work for a good guy.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
« Reply #31 on: Jul 11, 2008, 04:28 »
How many points do you think a letter of appreciation from a LT in a LTCDR billet is worth for advancement?

:o

I always made sure my guys got a NAM (or NCM)  as an End of Tour (EOT) Award with very few exceptions (I once had an EM1 turn EM2 that finished serving his 45/45 restriction the day before he started terminal leave.....I wasn't able to get him an EOT :( ) .  I don't know why we in the nuclear community don't give out more awards, since they really are not hard to get approved (I've mentioned previously that any CO, regardless of rank, can approve a NAM).  In today's Navy where some CO's give NAMs out like candy, you do a disservice to your guys to not get them the awards they deserve. 

I remember the disappointment I felt when I transferred from CVN-73 back in the day without even getting a Letter of Appreciation.  It saddens me to hear that it still is that way on some boats and CVNs.   I always tried to give my guys that were getting out of the navy their award on their last day on the ship so that the last memory they had of their time in the navy was a good memory. 

Go Navy!!!!

kp88

« Reply #32 on: Jul 11, 2008, 11:07 »
Have any of you received this award?  If so, would you mind explaining the circumstances of receiving this award?  Thank you.

I was nominated once.  (In 1982.)  It was awarded to someone else.  About a month later there was a Naval Proceedings article about a hero being awarded a Navy Achievement Medal after a kamikazee attack on a destroyer during World War 2.
I never once again thought that I deserved that medal.

Offline Loffy Muffin

• Moderate User
  • Little hand says it is time to rock and roll
« Reply #33 on: Jul 12, 2008, 11:02 »
I never received it.  My peers never received one.  If anyone of us got one, we would beat them up most likely.
I think it was mostly a coner reward for getting to work on time or something equally challenging.  Most of the Ogangers got one when they left.  I can't remember any nukes getting one. 

If I did receive one I would immediately try to trade it for a brew or a free lap dance at the boobie trap....I suspect there would be no takers...

So, I guess we have assigned a value number to the NAM. 
See right through the red, white and blue disguise
With lecture I puncture the structure of lies
Installed in our minds and attempting
To hold us back
We've got to take it back, Take the power back

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #34 on: Jul 12, 2008, 11:41 »
I got my first NAM after I had been a Chief for two years.  I knew that I had been put in for one as an E-6, but after a BAM and refusing to re-enlist before I transferred, I didn't even get a command plaque when I transferred.  4 and half years after my first NAM, I had been awarded two more, plus an EOT NCM.  I guess my second boat liked me better than the first (I've never put myself in for an award).  BTW, I worked very hard to recognize all my guys.  Probably one of my proudest moments was when I went to one of my guy's wedding in Texas.  His parents had an award citation framed on their wall (I don't remember if it was a NAM or not).  They asked if I could explain what some of it meant.  I told them I'd love to since I wrote it.  The pride they displayed was overwhelming.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #35 on: Jul 12, 2008, 01:50 »
I got my first NAM after I had been a Chief for two years.  I knew that I had been put in for one as an E-6, but after a BAM and refusing to re-enlist before I transferred, I didn't even get a command plaque when I transferred.  4 and half years after my first NAM, I had been awarded two more, plus an EOT NCM.  I guess my second boat liked me better than the first (I've never put myself in for an award).  BTW, I worked very hard to recognize all my guys.  Probably one of my proudest moments was when I went to one of my guy's wedding in Texas.  His parents had an award citation framed on their wall (I don't remember if it was a NAM or not).  They asked if I could explain what some of it meant.  I told them I'd love to since I wrote it.  The pride they displayed was overwhelming.

Nice. Thank you.

Justin

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
« Reply #36 on: Dec 13, 2008, 02:49 »
You fellers ever heard of getting one on LIMDU? 

I got my 3rd NAM on LIMDU. I was put in charge of the base's recycling plant and brought it up to standards before an annual safety inspection. Basically the LIMDU bubblehead Senior Chief told the LIMDU bubblehead MM1 to treat it like an ORSE prep.

Of the 3 I am most proud of that one given I had a collection of misfits working for me (DQs, LIMDUS, RIRs, Restrictions,  FTNs, etc).

withroaj

« Reply #37 on: Dec 13, 2008, 05:18 »
I did wind up being awarded a NAM for my LIMDU period.  The citation said I saved the Navy and the shipyard tons of cash.  I just think I was really lucky to get thrown into a newly created enlisted position (I relieved no one and was relieved by no one) that had tons of work to get done. 

I also worked for some kick-ass people (a few retired nukes and a retired NAV ETCM -- and PNSY had an awesome CMC, Deputy Commander and SY Commander).  That six-month period also gave me some time to do some soul searching and get some priorities in order.  All the pieces just fell into place at the same time, I got some work done for myself and for the Shipyard, and I walked away with some defined goals for myself and a star tacked onto my NAM.  I didn't wind up returning to submarines like I initially had in mind, but I'll just look at it as a gift that I get to see both sides of the nuke world.  All things considered I'd say it was a great deal.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?