Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Maintenance on Prototypes in New York? honeypot

Author Topic: Maintenance on Prototypes in New York?  (Read 6013 times)

brnrice

Maintenance on Prototypes in New York?
« on: Aug 01, 2008, 01:53 »
I’m currently a NNPS student. I’m getting out early next year. I was told that the prototypes in New York are to undergo maintenance sometime soon.

Does anyone have any info on this? Wasn’t able to find anything about this online. Is everyone going to have to go to prototype training in Charleston, SC now?

KJC88

Re: Maintenance on Prototypes in New York?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 01, 2008, 02:15 »
I asked a friend who's a NNPS student as well and he says he heard the same, that most likely they'll just stay in SC but who knows with the Navy :). Maybe someone knows accurate info.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #2 on: Aug 01, 2008, 04:56 »
I would just caution anyone who does know, to be very careful about how they put it out. A little over a year ago, I thought I was helping some students out on here by putting out some of our maintenance stuff and the next thing I knew, I was in the CMC's office being told that I was damaging national security. The mods had to remove the posts. Just be careful, they treat the prototypes like ships... e.g. loose lips sink ships.

Justin

withroaj

« Reply #3 on: Aug 01, 2008, 05:06 »
If you heard from an instructor that a maintenance shutdown will divert a class from a prototype, it is probably true.  If you heard it from a student:  ask an instructor.  They might not know, but they can ask (and they will if you ask them).  The truth is, the proto-pals are OLD.  The MTSs in SC were both commissioned in the early 1960's, and the NY prototypes aren't exactly new either.  The only way they can continue to serve as living history museums/baby nuke playsets is through scheduled maintenance periods.

Don't worry about not going to New York.  The Charleston, SC area has a LOT to offer (remember, the first shots of the Civil War were fired right out in Charleston Harbor at Ft. Sumter).  The downtown area has phenomenal restaurants (strongly recommend Charleston Grill, Grill 225 and Magnolia's) and some decent bars if that's what creams your twinkie.  Daytona beach is a few hours away, as well as Jacksonville (I went there for a Denver Broncos game, and it was the most polite sports community I've ever seen -- not a bad stadium either).  Myrtle Beach is just up the road (and super cheap in the off season).  Tampa, FL isn't too far away, either (and Busch Gardens is free for military).  Those are great places to go on your four-day weekends.  You also won't have to worry about Northeastern snow storms (after two winters in Portsmouth, NH, I would be happy never seeing a Northern winter again).

It doesn't really matter where you go for prototype, since you will get a decent education from it (if you work for it).  If you work hard you will have a good time in SC or NY; and if you fall behind it won't matter where you live.

brnrice

« Reply #4 on: Aug 01, 2008, 05:38 »
If you heard from an instructor that a maintenance shutdown will divert a class from a prototype, it is probably true.  If you heard it from a student:  ask an instructor.  They might not know, but they can ask (and they will if you ask them).  The truth is, the proto-pals are OLD.  The MTSs in SC were both commissioned in the early 1960's, and the NY prototypes aren't exactly new either.  The only way they can continue to serve as living history museums/baby nuke playsets is through scheduled maintenance periods.

Don't worry about not going to New York.  The Charleston, SC area has a LOT to offer (remember, the first shots of the Civil War were fired right out in Charleston Harbor at Ft. Sumter).  The downtown area has phenomenal restaurants (strongly recommend Charleston Grill, Grill 225 and Magnolia's) and some decent bars if that's what creams your twinkie.  Daytona beach is a few hours away, as well as Jacksonville (I went there for a Denver Broncos game, and it was the most polite sports community I've ever seen -- not a bad stadium either).  Myrtle Beach is just up the road (and super cheap in the off season).  Tampa, FL isn't too far away, either (and Busch Gardens is free for military).  Those are great places to go on your four-day weekends.  You also won't have to worry about Northeastern snow storms (after two winters in Portsmouth, NH, I would be happy never seeing a Northern winter again).

It doesn't really matter where you go for prototype, since you will get a decent education from it (if you work for it).  If you work hard you will have a good time in SC or NY; and if you fall behind it won't matter where you live.

Wow thanks for that lengthy post! I was looking forward to moving back to NY to be closer to family. Oh well...

withroaj

« Reply #5 on: Aug 01, 2008, 05:46 »

Wow thanks for that lengthy post! I was looking forward to moving back to NY to be closer to family. Oh well...

Awww come on, now.  You didn't join the Navy to stay close to family now, did you?

SIDE NOTE:  They finally confirmed water is actually on Mars.  Fancy that.

EDIT:  brnrice - you should recommend this forum to your family.  Quite a few other nukeeler parents frequent the forum, and from what I understand they get a better picture of what their yunguns are up to.
« Last Edit: Aug 01, 2008, 06:08 by withroaj »

KJC88

« Reply #6 on: Aug 01, 2008, 06:28 »
[quote author=withroaj l
Awww come on, now.  You didn't join the Navy to stay close to family now, did you?

SIDE NOTE:  They finally confirmed water is actually on Mars.  Fancy that.

[/quote]

Hehe I didn't know that?!!! I wanted to be with family and friends....awww should've not joined the Navy! (j/k) haha. ;)

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #7 on: Aug 09, 2008, 07:17 »
I’m currently a NNPS student. I’m getting out early next year. I was told that the prototypes in New York are to undergo maintenance sometime soon.

Does anyone have any info on this? Wasn’t able to find anything about this online. Is everyone going to have to go to prototype training in Charleston, SC now?

focus on getting through power school first, then worry about which prototype you are going to.

The prototype thing generally works itself out...

and god help you if you are going to MARF.... (I loved it :D)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?