Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu EDO(N) Questions honeypot

Author Topic: EDO(N) Questions  (Read 11601 times)

Narmy Nuke

EDO(N) Questions
« on: Aug 04, 2008, 11:50 »
I'm a SWO(N) thinking about putting in a package for EDO(N).  I'm currently on shore duty (just really far inshore on IA playing Army).  I'm not sure if I want to just get out or try EDO(N).  I like being a nuke, but I have no desire to do the DH and PA thing.  I'm honestly looking for a job that doesn't require me to be underway, work ridiculous hours inport, or be constantly on call and finding out on Friday afternoon that so and so just got removed from watchstanding and oh...by the way, you now have duty on Sunday.  Spent a year in the yards and wasn't really fond of it, but I like operating the plant and I'm not sure I'm ready to face the outside world.  I enjoy engineering and would like to get a masters in nuclear engineering.  My undergrad was in Chem Eng, but studying wasn't my strong suit in college.  I wasn't very disciplined and preferred the skiing and mountains at CU as opposed to the classes books.  GPA was 2.9. 

So my questions are: Am I even competitive for EDO(N) selection?  How much of EDO(N) involves operations as opposed to project management (I know the conventional EDO does mostly project management and very little engineering or operations)?  What is the quality of life like as an EDO(N)? 

Thanks!

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
Re: EDO(N) Questions
« Reply #1 on: Aug 05, 2008, 08:07 »
Sounds like EDO isn't for you.  Don't want to get phone calls?  EDOs spend their time in the shipyards and NRMDs, in increasing positions of responsibility.  Usually start out as a work integration leader on an overhaul project, then progress to Zone Mangers, Assistant Project Superintendents, and eventually Project Superintendents and everything in between....you'll get phone calls.  You'll have duty, and you'll work long hours.  Yes, you'll get that free masters, but then you won't use it in the Navy as an EDO.  And, as an added bennie, IA duty is still on the table.  Most of the EDOs I know at the LCDR/CDR career decision point are either having to do an IA tour or deciding to retire, so getting out of the sandbox isn't a guarantee either.  Lastly, as an EDO, you won't be in plant operations at all.
The caveat here is that this is my experience with nuke EDOs.  The conventionals might be different.
« Last Edit: Aug 05, 2008, 08:13 by NukeLDO »
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #2 on: Aug 05, 2008, 08:15 »
Sounds like EDO isn't for you.  Don't want to get phone calls?  EDOs spend their time in the shipyards and NRMDs, in increasing positions of responsibility.  Usually start out as a work integration leader on an overhaul project, then progress to Zone Mangers, Assistant Project Superintendents, and eventually Project Superintendents and everything in between....you'll get phone calls.  You'll have duty, and you'll work long hours.  Yes, you'll get that free masters, but then you won't use it in the Navy as an EDO.  And, as an added bennie, IA duty is still on the table.  Most of the EDOs I know at the LCDR/CDR career decision point are either having to do an IA tour or deciding to retire, so getting out of the sandbox isn't a guarantee either.  Lastly, as an EDO, you won't be in plant operations at all.
The caveat here is that this is my experience with nuke EDOs.  The conventials might be different.

You are right about all this my friend....except one salient point.

As an EDO(N), you will go back to sea as a Principal Assistant.  And, you will still be in the running for a Reactor Officer job later on down the line.  I think the RO screening board occurs at roughly the 15 YCS point for EDO(N). 
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: Aug 05, 2008, 08:32 »
RO consideration usually occurs at the CDR/CAPT point in an EDO(N) career.  The ROs I have dealt with in the SYs have all been CAPTs.  Rare to see a CDR/CAPT sel in the position.  But yes, you're right, that's certainly an option.  But for someone who doesn't even want to do a DH tour?  I don't think so.
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
« Reply #4 on: Aug 05, 2008, 08:47 »
Below is the latest gouge on EDO(N) taken from an email from the senior EDO(N) in the navy.
_____________________________ _____________________________ ________________________
3.  What is the new board process for EDO(N)s?

Overall process is to bring a larger number of junior EDO(N)s into the community and neck down on the numbers in a stair-step fashion.

Process is as follows:

1)   Increase EDO(N) lateral transfer numbers to 5-10 per YG with goal of 6 per YG to give EDs a chance to improve accessions and retain nuclear talent that might otherwise leave the Navy.
2)   PA screening board – done at 10.5 YCS in an EDO(N)’s career.  This board screens PAs from the SWO(N) and EDO(N) pre-PA pool.  The necessity for this board is determined by the detailers based on the pool size of PA candidates.  If conducted, the board nominally selects three officers per YG.  If the board is invoked, those not selected would have AQDs removed
3)   Continuation board – done at 14-15 YCS.  The board nominally selects one officer per YG (this means selection could come from multiple year groups, all from one year group, or none from a particular year group).  Each officer gets two looks.  Board is designed to screen officers whose performance has demonstrated aptitude toward excelling as Reactor Officer.  Those not selected after two looks have AQD removed.
4)   RO Selection board – done at 17,18 or 19 YCS.  This is an admin selection board, much like continuation board, that serves to select the EDO(N) RO to a specific ship.  The board chooses one officer as primary and another officer as back-up.  All not selected have AQDs removed.  Back-up officer has AQD removed after primary executes orders into the RO position.

“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

benny2002

« Reply #5 on: Aug 24, 2008, 04:17 »
My background

I'm a SWO(n) that is going to start power school tomorrow for the second time.  I was picked up STA-21 right before comp while I was in enlisted power school.  I will have 7 years of service Nov '08, and I do have a family.  I graduated with a 3.79 in Electrical Engineering.

This is what I do know from a thread on here and other searches:
1) Apply once I start my first carrier tour.
2) Yes, I will still go out to sea and do a PA tour
3) Yes, I will keep nuke bonuses

This is what I have "heard":
1) "Don't do it...shipyard life sucks!!!"  You'll hate yourself.
2) "Do it...you don't go out to sea as much and you'll start to use part of your degree"

These are my questions (a lot...please bare with me):
1) Anybody out there actually done the conversion that can comment?
2) Anything besides FITREPs and gpa help with acceptance?
3) Is shipyard life still that bad if you aren't attached to the ship?
4) I'm still looking for geographic stability (as much as possible at least since we have a house in Norfolk).  Does EDO(n) make those chances worse?
5) If EDO(n) is something I end up liking , is it something I can come back and do after retiring as a GS-(something or other#)
6) Finally, is there a EDO(n) out there or someone that knows a lot about it to tell me exactly what I would be getting myself into?  What type of work?  I've heard procurement and planning...anything else?
7) Will I be doing some actual engineering / management work?
8) If picked up, when would I go to NPS for my master's?  I'm guessing during the shore duty after my first carrier tour.
9) Finally.... any other PROS / CONS that anybody would like to share that I'm sure I'm not thinking of?

Thank you,
Andrew

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
« Reply #6 on: Aug 24, 2008, 04:29 »
My background

I'm a SWO(n) that is going to start power school tomorrow for the second time.  I was picked up STA-21 right before comp while I was in enlisted power school.  I will have 7 years of service Nov '08, and I do have a family.  I graduated with a 3.79 in Electrical Engineering.

This is what I do know from a thread on here and other searches:
1) Apply once I start my first carrier tour.
2) Yes, I will still go out to sea and do a PA tour
3) Yes, I will keep nuke bonuses

This is what I have "heard":
1) "Don't do it...shipyard life sucks!!!"  You'll hate yourself.
2) "Do it...you don't go out to sea as much and you'll start to use part of your degree"

These are my questions (a lot...please bare with me):
1) Anybody out there actually done the conversion that can comment?
2) Anything besides FITREPs and gpa help with acceptance?
3) Is shipyard life still that bad if you aren't attached to the ship?
4) I'm still looking for geographic stability (as much as possible at least since we have a house in Norfolk).  Does EDO(n) make those chances worse?
5) If EDO(n) is something I end up liking , is it something I can come back and do after retiring as a GS-(something or other#)
6) Finally, is there a EDO(n) out there or someone that knows a lot about it to tell me exactly what I would be getting myself into?  What type of work?  I've heard procurement and planning...anything else?
7) Will I be doing some actual engineering / management work?
8) If picked up, when would I go to NPS for my master's?  I'm guessing during the shore duty after my first carrier tour.
9) Finally.... any other PROS / CONS that anybody would like to share that I'm sure I'm not thinking of?

Thank you,
Andrew

As to what you've heard.....
(1)  I enjoyed my time in the yard.  I did new construction as enlisted and a refueling as an officer.  Loved both experiences.
(2)  You won't use any of your degree unless you have a management degree

To answer your questions
(1) I have done it.  I can comment.
(2)  To make yourself truly viable, you need to get a letter of recommendation from a senior EDO. 
(3)  Shipyard life can be bad as an EDO,...depends on which yard and what your job is.  Note:  Qual tour will likely not be that plesent...but, as you said, you don't go to sea.
(4)  Homesteading is probably easier as an EDO
(5)  Yes
(6)  Yes...I'm your man
(7)  Yes
(8)  You can go no NPS or MIT for your grad school.  Depending on the needs of the community, you may do your qual tour first before they send you to grad school
(9)  Will share pros/cons via pm if you desire

Obviously, you'll have some specific questions.  Probably easier to chat about them on the phone.  Send me a PM and we can set a time to talk.

Cheers,
GC

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?