Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu The Florida?

Author Topic: The Florida?  (Read 4960 times)

LuckyKid

The Florida?
« on: Aug 20, 2008, 08:05 »
The USS Florida is accepting the wimmins???

Thoughts?

Is it true?

(should I try to go?)

JustinHEMI05

Re: The Florida?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 20, 2008, 08:15 »
I doubt its true... yet. We'll see what gamecock and other insiders have to say. I am basing my guess on the fact that there has been no national news about it. Being configured to be able to and actually doing it are two vastly different concepts.

That said, if it was true and I was a chick in the Navy, I would jump at the chance of having the glory of making history as the first female(s) to serve on a submarine.  ;D

Justin
« Last Edit: Aug 20, 2008, 08:17 by JustinHEMI »

withroaj

« Reply #2 on: Aug 20, 2008, 08:48 »
I haven't heard anything concrete about it yet, but I can put some feelers out to the folks on FLORIDA.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #3 on: Aug 20, 2008, 10:12 »
Not going to happen (yet).

Cheers,
GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

alphacookie

« Reply #4 on: Aug 21, 2008, 09:01 »
During a briefing/YFG speech at the Kings Bay Chapel, the then current SUBLANT(now retired), gave his views on the future of women in the submarine service.  He something to the effect that, {It ain't gonna happen.} and something like, {We are not one of those tiny European countries that go out on diesel subs for a few weeks at a time.  We do man's work and go out for months at a time, far from home.}  He was very direct and threw in a few f-bombs as well.

He also stated the obvious that no current or planned U.S. submarine is configured for women or will be configured for women.

The Admiral also showed us a very interesting power point slide.  It was a survey of Navy women regarding submarine submarine service.  They were asked if they would be interested in serving on subs.  Almost all said no (Can't remember the percentage, but it was very, very low).

Of course none of this means crap.  Barbara Boxer or Nancy Pelosi will probably cut off funding to subs if they don't admit women. That wiil be a sad day.:o :'(

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #5 on: Aug 21, 2008, 09:38 »
During a briefing/YFG speech at the Kings Bay Chapel, the then current SUBLANT(now retired), gave his views on the future of women in the submarine service.  He something to the effect that, {It ain't gonna happen.} and something like, {We are not one of those tiny European countries that go out on diesel subs for a few weeks at a time.  We do man's work and go out for months at a time, far from home.}  He was very direct and threw in a few f-bombs as well.

He also stated the obvious that no current or planned U.S. submarine is configured for women or will be configured for women.

The Admiral also showed us a very interesting power point slide.  It was a survey of Navy women regarding submarine submarine service.  They were asked if they would be interested in serving on subs.  Almost all said no (Can't remember the percentage, but it was very, very low).

Of course none of this means crap.  Barbara Boxer or Nancy Pelosi will probably cut off funding to subs if they don't admit women. That wiil be a sad day.:o :'(

Was that VADM G circa 2001?  If so, I remember that speech, as well as his "colorful" rhetoric. 
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

alphacookie

« Reply #6 on: Aug 21, 2008, 11:58 »
Was that VADM G circa 2001?  If so, I remember that speech, as well as his "colorful" rhetoric. 

Yup!

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
« Reply #7 on: Aug 21, 2008, 01:09 »
A former Director of Naval Nuclear Propulsion, while attending the Navy Ball in Charleston as the guest speaker in, I think 1999, when asked also stated, "Not on my watch."
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?