Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Headed to Pearl! honeypot

Author Topic: Headed to Pearl!  (Read 4957 times)

Offline North Star

• Very Lite User
  • We Are Marquette
Headed to Pearl!
« on: Aug 21, 2008, 08:15 »
Just received my orders, and I'll be headed to Pearl Harbor and the USS Columbus in a few months for my first boat.  Anyone have recommendations on where to live.  I've talked to two people so far and they've both said to live up near the Marine base - Kaneohe or Kailua.  Also, anyone that's out there now heard anything about the boat and it's command?  Thanks for any help or advice.
"Rank among Junior Officers is like virtue among whores." -My Shift Engineer

withroaj

Re: Headed to Pearl!
« Reply #1 on: Aug 21, 2008, 08:36 »
Kaneohe and Kailua are both beautiful places to live, but so is everywhere else on the island (though you should avoid the western shore if you aren't local).  The traffic between Pearl and K-Bay/Kailua can be brutal; I'm talking an hour and a half to go less than ten miles.  I lived in Aiea when I was out there, and it could sometimes take 45 minutes to get the three miles from my house to the Sub Base.  I'd strongly recommend going to your boat, meeting the folks and moving in with some established people.  That will probably find you a good money making deal, and you'll most likely have a reasonable commute.

Remember that you have to be E-5 or E-4 with over four years in the Navy to recieve BAH.  If you're not E-5 yet, give it time and you'll make it off the test.  Wait until you go to sea a few times before you decide you want two more years in the Navy.

Make sure you take advantage of what MWR offers there.  You can learn to surf (lessons were seven bucks when I was there) and snorkel equipment rentals are either free or dirt cheap (I checked out snorkeling stuff enough that I got to keep it).  Some of the SCUBA schools there offer great military discounts (and I still kick myself for not getting certified).  If you like to go out and drink, hit up Arnold's in Waikiki.  It's the only place in the Waikiki area that actually has cheap beer.  Remember not to drink and drive, though.

Good luck and have fun!!

EDIT:  I take it you're a JO, so disregard the E5/E4 thing.  I'd still recommend checking into the BOQ(if you're not married) until you get to know the fellers on the boat.  Make money, save drive time.  You win!
« Last Edit: Aug 21, 2008, 08:42 by withroaj »

Offline North Star

• Very Lite User
  • We Are Marquette
« Reply #2 on: Aug 22, 2008, 09:13 »
Thanks for the info WithROAJ, alot of people told me that H-3 isn't bad for traffic so I guess I'll have to do more research and see.  Definitely a good idea to check into the BOQ for a while and see if anyone on board needs a roommate - should help me get a place that works out great.  Thanks!

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #3 on: Aug 22, 2008, 01:49 »
DO NOT live in Ewa Beach traffic is murder
DO NOT live in Waianae you will get murdered

Beam

« Reply #4 on: Aug 24, 2008, 07:23 »

As for living arrangements, don't live in any place that starts with "W" is a good rule of thumb-Waianie Waiminalo will get you mugged or worse, and Waikiki is a traffic nightmare and expensive to boot. Though I've lived leeward (south) side my whole 4 years here in both Aiea and Honolulu, I know plenty of guys who in the Kailua area on the windward side and love it since H-3 traffic is non-existent, and the area is much less tourist infested.

Hope that helps.
Good luck! Get Hot!
Cheers,
Beam

PS Which prototype did you go to?
« Last Edit: Aug 25, 2008, 06:24 by Gamecock »

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #5 on: Aug 24, 2008, 08:40 »
In quire with Housing when you get here Forrest City is renting some of the old units at NCTAMS and Halava to single sailors for around 1600 per month (dirt cheap for here)

Offline North Star

• Very Lite User
  • We Are Marquette
« Reply #6 on: Aug 26, 2008, 08:10 »
I went to S8G.  Thanks for the info, I'm starting to look around.

As for living arrangements, don't live in any place that starts with "W" is a good rule of thumb-Waianie Waiminalo will get you mugged or worse, and Waikiki is a traffic nightmare and expensive to boot. Though I've lived leeward (south) side my whole 4 years here in both Aiea and Honolulu, I know plenty of guys who in the Kailua area on the windward side and love it since H-3 traffic is non-existent, and the area is much less tourist infested.

Hope that helps.
Good luck! Get Hot!
Cheers,
Beam

PS Which prototype did you go to?

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?