Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Palisades Airlock Event  

Author Topic: Palisades Airlock Event  (Read 13876 times)

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
Palisades Airlock Event
« on: Aug 11, 2008, 10:01 »
Anybody got any info on the stuck airlock last week - I saw that a special NRC team is coming in for an inspection.... :-\
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline NJ

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Palisades Airlock Event
« Reply #1 on: Aug 11, 2008, 05:00 »
I want to know the spin....

slattmandu

Palisades Airlock Event
« Reply #2 on: Aug 14, 2008, 07:21 »
PCS walkdown in containment myself and 2 engineers,1 mechanic and resident NRC inspector stuck in containment. Someone didn't completely close the outer airlock door which left us stranded inside. Phones went down while we were inside. And emergency airlock inner door would not open when we attempted to operate it. So we removed some of our anti-c clothing and had a bottle of water and waited till someone came through airlock. At which time I turned all work groups around and called stop work for safety reasons. And yes the NRC are looking into this matter.

slattmandu

Palisades Airlock Event
« Reply #3 on: Aug 23, 2008, 07:15 »
I'd like to refine my last post about airlock event after reviewing latest press release. Since it contains some misinformation in it. We were stranded in containment due to the work crew that came in behind us. They were the ones that discovered the phones were all down. And went back out to the laydown area outside containment waiting for a radio for communications. And when they exited they left outer airlock door unsecured. If the outer giz/in/out door is unsecured than the inner giz/out/in door won't let you out. So the BS posted about not knowing how to operate airlock doors in the press release. Was at the hand of the outsiders coming in. Not the hot insiders wanting to go out. Everyone stranded inside was proficient at operating these doors. My suggestion would be for whoever provided info to outside press, experience going into this building using these doors for themselves so they understand the design and operation of the airlock and doors. And misinformation about how they work also never happens again.     

justatech

Palisades Airlock Event
« Reply #4 on: Aug 23, 2008, 08:46 »
My suggestion would be for whoever provided info to outside press, experience going into this building using these doors for themselves so they understand the design and operation of the airlock and doors. And misinformation about how they work also never happens again.     

Sounds like the same people who write most of the press releases - sitting behind the desk without venturing into the field.  :o
I agree with adding information to eliminate this occurrence from happening again. How long was the 2nd crew outside waiting on radios? What does the site intend on doing to eliminate this from happening - stationing an operator inside the airlock while on line and employees inside?

Offline cairnit

• Moderate User
  • I love my job........
Palisades Airlock Event
« Reply #5 on: Aug 23, 2008, 07:35 »
Slatman....the crew waiting on the radio didn't enter then exit, we discovered the phones down when we were trying to get the jailhouse door open to get to the airlock. Since the phones were down, we couldn't get hold of the control room to open the jailhouse door, we had to wait in the hallway of the Aux building for the radio so that we could get the jailhouse door openned in order to get to the airlock and enter. This waiting delayed our entry by @ 20 minutes.

And Brian this was not a power type entry, we came down for a week and did valve replacements to fix a leak rate problem.

slattmandu

Palisades Airlock Event
« Reply #6 on: Aug 24, 2008, 07:20 »
Facts are someone had to leave outer Giz/in/out door unsecured. Because it is physically impossible to operate that outer handwheel from inside containment by design of this airlock. If this airlock allowed a worker to do that. We hot sweaty types on the inside could have closed outer door and it would then allow us to open inner door and exit.

slattmandu

Re: Palisades Airlock Event
« Reply #7 on: Aug 24, 2008, 09:22 »
You know it was after midnight maybe this was the work of Gremlins. I've heard they get into all kinds of mischief after midnight. Seriously it really doesn't matter who didn't secure outer door. As long as this process is refined and helps prevent it from happening again. Also that we track the humans inside just like we were tracking tools and equipment going inside for FME purposes.

justatech

« Reply #8 on: Aug 24, 2008, 11:21 »
Not Gremlins.....................

On a more serious note: anytime we make an at power entry a Supervisor is outside. As for communications, we have radios and are required to call the control once we are inside. If the gai-tronics does not work - we communicate with the Supervisor and they communicate with the control room. If memory serves, a few years ago (2004) an east coast plant had the same problem and had to use the emergency escape hatch.
« Last Edit: Aug 24, 2008, 11:26 by justatech »

slattmandu

« Reply #9 on: Aug 24, 2008, 04:20 »
Procedure for power entries here also states, "1st thing RP tech. does is establish communications once inside". Difference here being we just came down for a forced outage. This was our 2nd trip in to complete PCS walkdown. 1st trip we took a radio in with us 2nd trip no radio.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #10 on: Aug 25, 2008, 09:24 »
yinz git a root cause for da failure of emergency airlock?  two me, dis is moor important than witch buncha bozos didn't due watt.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline snowman

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #11 on: Aug 26, 2008, 05:26 »
This ain't the kind of airlock events I sorta remember!

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #12 on: Aug 26, 2008, 07:45 »
On a more serious note: anytime we make an at power entry a Supervisor is outside. As for communications, we have radios and are required to call the control once we are inside. If the gai-tronics does not work - we communicate with the Supervisor and they communicate with the control room. If memory serves, a few years ago (2004) an east coast plant had the same problem and had to use the emergency escape hatch.

I would damn rather have a journeyman mechanic or experienced AO outside that door than a supervisor...at least the craft will know how to operate the door.
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #13 on: Aug 26, 2008, 08:30 »
I would damn rather have a journeyman mechanic or experienced AO outside that door than a supervisor...at least the craft will know how to operate the door.

theil know s.o.s. bangs onna door, to!
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

justatech

« Reply #14 on: Aug 26, 2008, 08:45 »

I can understand that at some plants but in defense of our first line supervisors - all departments - they come from the ranks.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?