Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Is it possible to Ship out from a different recruiter station? honeypot

Author Topic: Is it possible to Ship out from a different recruiter station?  (Read 6340 times)

Ach109

Before I get started I'd just like to say I have been reading this forum with great interest for the past 2 or 3 months, and I have found it to be both entertaining and highly informative. Rather than risk posting a redundant question, I have preferred to dig and scrounge through the posts for any answers to questions I might have, and have gotten many answers, quite a few which I didn't even know I had questions for. However this time I seem to be coming up blank and need some help and an answer.

After Depping in, some hard times came my way (lost my car, job, and residence) so I had to leave Atlanta and move in with family back home in Mississippi. My mom says my uncle told her I can get my paperwork transferred to a recruiting station here and just ship out from here, but when I called my recruiter back in Atlanta, he said no. He says I need to ship out from Atlanta, and wants me to return now, but I have found a job here and have no means to support myself in Atlanta, I ship out a month from tomorrow and his boss insists I have to be back for some pre-ship interview. I like my recruiter but I don't quite trust his boss sometimes, their chief didn't take too kindly to my decision not to sign-up with the Navy until I had the Nuke paperwork in front of me. They tried to tell me that if I just signed up then while waiting on my waiver I'd be in the system then when it cleared I could be job switched. I told them I'd rather wait until my waiver cleared then sign up, it didn't sit well with them. Is there anyway I can do as my uncle says and ship from here? And if so does it have a negative impact on the recruiters I started with? It was a real pain getting all of my paperwork done and getting the nuke paperwork pushed through the first time. I'd hate to jeopardize my chances of being a nuke before evening going to basic over something this silly.

Thanks in advance for any help, advice or direction which any of you can provide me with. 

DSO

You are only in DEP, and can back out of even going in the Navy--you are only in a different area due to your job situation and they should understand this and do everything they can to appease you at this time----this is the only time that things will be like this because after you actually ship out--you are theirs. I would go to a recruiter there in Mississippi and tell them of your situation and that you would still like to enlist---but don't feel like you are doing anything wrong by shipping out in Mississippi---I would refuse to be strong-armed by the recruiters in Alabama--they are just worried about their numbers. :) :) :)

JustinHEMI05

I agree, talk to the locals. There is no reason you can't join from Mississippi. You seem to be well on your way to a great career in the nuclear Navy, and I would hate to see it tarnish by some knuckleheads. Thanks for your future service.

Justin

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
I happen to have a friend that is the XO of NRD New York.

Here is what he told me.....

The BS flag is flying "closed-up" from the Atlanta recruiter.

A little background here. This is a classic case of "courtesy shipping". It is a well-defined and practiced procedure in Navy Recruiting. If a DEPper joins in one Recruting District, and subsequently moves to another NRD's AOR, he can still ship to boot camp - from that NRD.

There are risks though: The DEPper has to affiliate with the closest Recruiting Station to his new residence - be "adopted" by the new station.

(The problem here is ownership. None of the recruiters in the new station have any stake in this new DEPper - they didn't recruit him, they didn't process him and they don't lose competition points if he doesn't ship to boot camp - the original recruiter loses everything.)

The right answers here are:

1) The DEPper CAN ship from his new locale. Coordination needs to be done between the NRDs (Atlanta and New Orleans, i'm assuming).

2) Contact the the CO or XO of the original NRD --- we tend to be pretty responsive to 'stuff' like this.

I'll send you the contact info for the CO and XO of NRD Atlanta via PM.

I recommend now that you know the right answer to call your recruiter back in Atlanta first and give him the chance to do the right thing.  If he doesn't, then call the numbers I sent you in PM to request assistance.

Good Luck to you.

Cheers,
GC
« Last Edit: Sep 10, 2008, 08:53 by Gamecock »
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Ach109

Thanks for advice. I really appreciate it.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?