Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Questions about 'Denuke'd honeypot

Author Topic: Questions about 'Denuke'd  (Read 9685 times)

maber

Questions about 'Denuke'd
« on: Sep 10, 2008, 07:22 »
I'm a student at NPTU CHASN. I went to mast a few weeks ago.

the reason I got masted wasnt a reactor related incident, it was a personal matter outside of work.

my question is, i never technically recieved my NEC but i successfully completed the nuclear pipeline. if i get denuked now, is it virtually impossible for me to work for civilian side nuclear power? i love my job, and im fairly knowledgeable. i have a clean background record, no criminal offenses, great credit, etc.

im to find out about whether i stay a nuke in the next week or so.
« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2008, 04:18 by maber »

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
Re: Questions about 'Denuke'd
« Reply #1 on: Sep 10, 2008, 08:36 »
Being denuked is usually a separate action and intentionally not related to Mast. if you are denuked, you will probably go into the conventional navy.  Mast usually doesn't affect the civilian world, so it shouldn't affect your chances with civilian nuclear when you are done with the navy.

I'm sure there are others here with better info than mine.
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

Fermi2

« Reply #2 on: Sep 10, 2008, 11:40 »
On an average class we interview about 50 people. About 60% will be Navy nukes who actually did something in the nuclear field. Most E5 or E6 types. The rest will be either former NLOs from other plants or people with degrees.

So since I don't believe in coddling, what do you think?

Mike

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #3 on: Sep 11, 2008, 10:13 »
Being denuked is usually a separate action and intentionally not related to Mast.

That would be true if he was a nuke. Unless you graduate the full program and recive the NEC you where never a nuke.

If you graduate and recive your NEC you will be fine NJP is just that non-judical punishment. It is not any form of criminal record.

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
« Reply #4 on: Sep 11, 2008, 12:08 »
That would be true if he was a nuke. Unless you graduate the full program and recive the NEC you where never a nuke.

I was refering to being removed from the nuke pipeline. sorry for the confusion.
« Last Edit: Oct 20, 2008, 09:42 by Smart People »
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

rlbinc

« Reply #5 on: Sep 11, 2008, 02:58 »
I'd say if you grew up a few notches, kept your nose clean, worked hard, and learned something about nuclear power - there's a future for you in this industry.
Neglect any of those, and there's a future for you somewhere else.

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
« Reply #6 on: Sep 11, 2008, 08:18 »
Let's say you get denuked and you go to the fleet. Suppose you keep your nose clean and finish your enlistment honorably.

Say you still want to be a commericial nuke.

All you need to do is pass the POSS and whatever else is tested of you.

Don't even bring up your Navy nuke history if you don't want to answer tough questions.

If you do, be prepared to defend why you got thrown out, how you matured and overcame, etc.

crazy4honda

« Reply #7 on: Oct 19, 2008, 09:03 »
^^^^Exactly what he said....just finish out your enlistment if you are sent conventional and say you served in the Navy for xx years as a MM/EM/ET/whatever.  No need to bring up un-necessary stuff and voluntarily say "I was de-nuked." 

However, if the application you fill out asks if you ever received NJP while in the military, then you might have some explaining to do.  That's up to you on how you answer that question ;)  Not sure how hard it is for civilian employers to get your complete military history.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #8 on: Oct 19, 2008, 09:15 »
Let me add my endorsement to the above two answers.  Being a Navy nuke is absolutely NOT a prerequisite for working in a civilian nuclear power plant.  In today's environment, you have a better shot by having an MBA than a Ph.D. in Nuclear Physics.  Get a degree, whether you remain a nuke or not, and then you fit into that other 40% that BZ was talking about.

By the way, being "de-nuked" 0nly means that you are no longer allowed to be assigned to a nuclear billet in the Navy.  It does not wipe out the fact that a person was trained in nuclear power.  Being dis-qualified anything means the you were qualified at one time.
In 21 years since I left the Navy, nobody has ever asked me, "what are you no longer allowed to do that you once did?"
« Last Edit: Oct 20, 2008, 12:33 by BeerCourt »
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline deltarho

• An EOOW asked during his S/Y steam plant testing pre-watch tour, "Shouldn't those scram breakers be open?" K-thunk, K-thunk. "Uh-oh!"
  • Heavy User
  • I make alpha particle "direct delivery" systems.
« Reply #9 on: Oct 20, 2008, 04:02 »
Let me chime in about what I saw in 1981...

Four guys I knew from ET "A" school in Nuclear Power School class 8007 (I was in 8102) got medically discharged due to the "Triple F"--Food For Freedom--program.  Actually, more than four, but these four were carrying averages of 3.6 or better, two already made E-5, and they passed the comp.  What they did not pass was the final weigh in prior to transfer.

One of these was my roommate in Great Mistakes and he was very candid about his love for @#$th Vader, the Navy, and the "fat boy" program requiring him to run around the track 5-days a week.

He was not at all upset.  It seems that VEPCO (now Dominion Power) picked them four guys up for I&C technicians starting at about $22,000.00/year.  Now, in 1981, I don't know if that was chump change for what they were being hired to do, but at least the company was willing to get a little sweat equity out of them.  He said that one of the comments the company gave him was that his "A" school and NPS average demonstrated that he was capable of being trained to do the work hired for.  He was also very candid about saying that they didn't care how many Twinkies he ate in a day.  I don't know if that was his embellishment or an actual comment from VEPCO, but he did intimate that VEPCO thought the Navy crazy for discharging him with his accomplishments (he was one of the E-5s).

So, my take is that it depends on what the needs of the industry is at the time you get out and what you are willing to do to get your foot into the door.
The above has nothing to do with any real  or imagined person(s).  Moreover, any referenced biped(s) simulating real or imagined persons--with a pulse or not--is coincidental, as far as you know.

Offline gsmagnum

• Light User
« Reply #10 on: Oct 20, 2008, 08:37 »
If you have an honorable discharge, whether it is a triple F early out or a full enlistment, chances are that a power company won't care.
I know I am a broken record on this, but......when you transition to civilian, do not be hung up on being at a nuclear plant. I was an operator for 9 years at a coal plant and I really wouldn't train that to go work at a nuclear plant. In this industry, the more open you are to moving up and sometimes out, the more opportunities you will have.
When I was hired at the company that I have been with for the last 10 years, it was pointed out how only 1 or 2 persons in the room would have been able to make weight.

Another thing for those getting out to remember is that the GI Bill does cover Apprenticeships. If you don't think you will have time to go to school, and are in an apprenticeship, you can at least get a good chunk of your GI Bill. (It will more than repay your initial investment)

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #11 on: Oct 20, 2008, 08:54 »

the reason I got masted wasnt a reactor related incident, it was a personal matter outside of work.

remember the part in the enlistment oath: "... and obey the orders of the President and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."?

Why should prospective employer let you badge in until you can own up to violating company rules?

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #12 on: Oct 20, 2008, 09:22 »

Another thing for those getting out to remember is that the GI Bill does cover Apprenticeships. If you don't think you will have time to go to school, and are in an apprenticeship, you can at least get a good chunk of your GI Bill. (It will more than repay your initial investment)

Only if you retain MGIB with the new post 911 GIB there is not a provision for Apprenticeship tranning, there are acualy several things that MGIB covers that P911GIB dosn't

Offline gsmagnum

• Light User
« Reply #13 on: Oct 22, 2008, 10:16 »
Only if you retain MGIB with the new post 911 GIB there is not a provision for Apprenticeship tranning, there are acualy several things that MGIB covers that P911GIB dosn't

Thanks for the correction.
Some who have converted from MGIB may still be elligible for OJT. It looks like those who aren't converts won't get paid for OJT.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?