Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Travel and Proceed Time

Author Topic: Travel and Proceed Time  (Read 16709 times)

Offline Pirate Bob

• Light User
Travel and Proceed Time
« on: Oct 19, 2008, 02:39 »
To preface this, I have read MILPERSMAN 1320-090 and 100, and I can't understand most of what it is talking about.  I have also done a search of terms in the subject line on this site and Google, and haven't come up with a full explanation.

I am trying to figure out how much travel and proceed time I have.  I am leaving NPTU NY near the end of the month, and have 17 days of leave on the books, giving me 24.5 by the end of the year.  I *think* that MILPERSMAN is saying that I get 4 days of proceed time, but I'm not positive.  I am going to be flying in, so I *think* that I only get one day of travel time.

In the end, I want to have 10 days still on the books when I arrive so that I have a much better chance of getting X-mas leave, and I would like to use the maximum of my travel and proceed time...my parents need me to spend as much time as possible at their house to fix shyte.

Trying to figure this out has been a pain in the vag (I know, welcome to the Navy). I have been getting some amazing help from a senior chief on the ship I'm going to in California.  They are currently out and about somewhere, but some issues with the interweb has made it difficult for him to get info.  Anyone know where else (besides the incomprehensible MILPERSMAN) I can look to figure all this out?  Any advice appreciated, call it watch-team backup if that's easier to swallow. ;)

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
Re: Travel and Proceed Time
« Reply #1 on: Oct 19, 2008, 03:04 »
To preface this, I have read MILPERSMAN 1320-090 and 100, and I can't understand most of what it is talking about.  I have also done a search of terms in the subject line on this site and Google, and haven't come up with a full explanation.

I am trying to figure out how much travel and proceed time I have.  I am leaving NPTU NY near the end of the month, and have 17 days of leave on the books, giving me 24.5 by the end of the year.  I *think* that MILPERSMAN is saying that I get 4 days of proceed time, but I'm not positive.  I am going to be flying in, so I *think* that I only get one day of travel time.

In the end, I want to have 10 days still on the books when I arrive so that I have a much better chance of getting X-mas leave, and I would like to use the maximum of my travel and proceed time...my parents need me to spend as much time as possible at their house to fix shyte.

Trying to figure this out has been a pain in the vag (I know, welcome to the Navy). I have been getting some amazing help from a senior chief on the ship I'm going to in California.  They are currently out and about somewhere, but some issues with the interweb has made it difficult for him to get info.  Anyone know where else (besides the incomprehensible MILPERSMAN) I can look to figure all this out?  Any advice appreciated, call it watch-team backup if that's easier to swallow. ;)

When transferring to a sea-going command, one gets 4 days of proceed time.  This is free days off.

The amount of travel time allotted is based on your mode of travel to your next duty station.  Could be one day or could be two days depending on how you fly.

Cheers,
GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

PapaBear765

« Reply #2 on: Oct 19, 2008, 03:36 »
Contrary to what Gamecock said... your orders tell you what you need to know.

Somewhere on the first page where it describes your detachment, look for "ACC: 100" that means you get 1 day of proceed.  Any other number and I don't know what it means.  Talk to your command's yeomen, as enjoyable as that may be...

Then turn a few pages and look for "...member authorized 30 days leave...provided no excess leave involved..."  That tells you how much leave you can take.

Use MapQuest to get the millage.  You get 1 day per 450 miles (or 400, can't remember).

Go back to the first page, and in the part for your new command look for "report NLT:"  That's "no later than," and the date.

Add up your proceed, your travel, and how much leave you want.  Subtract that from your reporting date.  That's when you transfer.

Does that help?
« Last Edit: Oct 19, 2008, 03:39 by PapaBear765 »

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #3 on: Oct 19, 2008, 03:54 »
Contrary to what Gamecock said... your orders tell you what you need to know.

Somewhere on the first page where it describes your detachment, look for "ACC: 100" that means you get 1 day of proceed.  Any other number and I don't know what it means.  Talk to your command's yeomen, as enjoyable as that may be...

You are wrong.  You get up to four days of proceed time when going to a seagoing command from a shore command. 

Going from NY to West Coast is going to get you the maximum number.
« Last Edit: Oct 19, 2008, 04:01 by Gamecock »
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

jsilvavalentin

« Reply #4 on: Oct 19, 2008, 04:20 »
You'll get whatever days you get for proceed time (or transfer time, however you want to call it) and the rest of the time until your report date is regular leave. You can always report early iand save leave days if you're that worried about having leave saved up for Christmas (it does say report No Later Than, not no earlier than).

PapaBear765

« Reply #5 on: Oct 19, 2008, 04:28 »
You wrote:

You are wrong.  You get up to four days of proceed time when going to a seagoing command from a shore command. 

Going from NY to West Coast is going to get you the maximum number.

...but failed to read:

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #6 on: Oct 19, 2008, 09:03 »
I'm still trying to catch my breath from laughing at the prospect that someone who is reporting in November thinks he is going to get Christmas leave if he saves 10 days.

Maybe if the ship is in drydock, and the whole command is standing down for Christmas, they might let a nub take leave.  They aren't going to give two s#!ts how many days you have on the books.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline Pirate Bob

• Light User
« Reply #7 on: Oct 19, 2008, 10:19 »
It was suggested by the person in charge of the sponsor program that I might get Christmas leave if I had 10 days on the books.  (Deleted due to OPSEC)  Oh, and this "he" is a "she".   ;D

My orders have the ACC:100...for whatever that means.  Ah well.  Maybe I'll just have to suck it up and ask the YN (if they aren't in an extended lunch, that is).
« Last Edit: Oct 20, 2008, 07:49 by Pirate Bob »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?