Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Quick question on nuke school
honeypot

Author Topic: Quick question on nuke school  (Read 7375 times)

SN Bass

Quick question on nuke school
« on: Oct 23, 2008, 04:28 »
This may be a stupid question but I pretty much have had everything else answered.

Do we sleep in traditional barracks at nuke school or do we sleep in dorm like rooms?  Just had to ask.

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
Re: Quick question on nuke school
« Reply #1 on: Oct 23, 2008, 04:30 »
It will be dorm like rooms.  Usually two rooms with 4 sailors to one bathroom.  Pretty nice digs though.
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

Samabby

« Reply #2 on: Oct 23, 2008, 04:42 »
Once you hit Power School, it's 2 per room. Nice set up. Good luck, young grasshopper.  8)

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: Oct 23, 2008, 04:56 »
Things must have changed ....... (I know things have changed but this was not the norm in the 'old-in' days.)

The old days had a Quad.  (Basically one door to a common area.  Then four doors to individual rooms.)  That meant four doors inside the common area.  Therefore four rooms.  Each room had (at least) three NNPS students (ie sailors).  Each room had its own shower.

So like I said.  Things must have changed.  (If you don't believe me look for the thread about 'How to fix NNPS'.)

The old-in days are gone.  I live alone!  Much better harmony is achieved this way.

Jason

Didn't you have slide rules back then in your day????

Offline IRLFAN

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #4 on: Oct 23, 2008, 04:59 »

Didn't you have slide rules back then in your day????

I don't know about in his day, but we did in mine.  I still have one.  Almost no one at work has ever sen one.
Democracy is 4 wolves and 1 sheep
voting on what's for dinner.

Liberty is the sheep with a .357 magnum
telling the wolves where to stick it.

SN Bass

« Reply #5 on: Oct 23, 2008, 05:01 »
Cool, also, what amount of civilian belongings can I bring there?  Like computers etc.

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #6 on: Oct 23, 2008, 05:07 »
You can bring computers, tv, radios, etc.  If you leave them out, then you have to have the SN written down and giving to your section advisor.  Anything other than large electronics have to be stored in your closet or your drawers along with all your clothing such as civies, uniforms, etc.  I wouldn't go overboard, if you have one a laptop would be good and a tv and game system. 

dan11

« Reply #7 on: Oct 24, 2008, 01:55 »
do we still get vacation leave while in power school?

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #8 on: Oct 24, 2008, 02:07 »
do we still get vacation leave while in power school?

The Site will shut down for a number of days during Christmas Holiday.  You will almost be forced to take leave(I know what you are thinking, why wouldn't I want to take leave, just remember that you are going to be taking leave in a few months again after your A school class graduates and you may or may not have enough leave saved up by then to break even, thus you might not want to take leave during Christmas so you don't go negative on a leave balance and so on and so forth).  If you decide not to take leave there is some special work you get to do during the time that everyone else is on leave.  

Hard reminder though for those just fresh out of the womb eh...High School.  You DO NOT get the summer off.  It was a shock for quite a few of my fellow students when I went through.  

Offline Wanna Know Mom

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #9 on: Oct 24, 2008, 02:51 »
My Nuke student son says they will be authorized up to 30 days leave after prototype.  If he wants 30 days is there anything that will prevent him being granted 30 days ? thanks. Kathy VPNM

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: Oct 24, 2008, 03:08 »
Very true.  He could get orders to a Sub that is deploying for 6 months in a week and a half and get told he has to drive from Charleston, SC to San Diego or Groton, CT and be there before the boat gets underway.  Generally speaking he will have 30 days plus travel time.  However he should consider that he may want to save some leave for later on. 

PapaBear765

« Reply #11 on: Oct 24, 2008, 04:04 »
It will be dorm like rooms.  Usually two rooms with 4 sailors to one bathroom.  Pretty nice digs though.

Depends on which rooms you get in Power School.  Most of my class got the 1 person per room where 2 rooms are sharing 1 bathroom.

Either way, the living conditions are nice.  That won't be a source of many complaints.

Offline deltarho

• An EOOW asked during his S/Y steam plant testing pre-watch tour, "Shouldn't those scram breakers be open?" K-thunk, K-thunk. "Uh-oh!"
  • Heavy User
  • I make alpha particle "direct delivery" systems.
« Reply #12 on: Oct 27, 2008, 09:07 »
My Nuke student son says they will be authorized up to 30 days leave after prototype.  If he wants 30 days is there anything that will prevent him being granted 30 days ? thanks. Kathy VPNM

How much leave has he taken already and how much has he accrued?  He needs to realize that being in the hole (negative balance) can prevent future leave attempts.  Back in the day when one could go to bootcamp in San Diego or Orlando, follow on school to Great Lakes, follow on school Orlando, follow on school to (pick your prototype city), typically a one or two-week leave was built in with the travel time.  I don't know what the logistics are now , but the main point is to know when a long leave will be more desirable.  After a six-month deployment or before.  The chances of getting leave longer than 2-weeks at a sea command are lower, save for life-changing events like marriage or the birth of a child.

Hope this helps.
The above has nothing to do with any real  or imagined person(s).  Moreover, any referenced biped(s) simulating real or imagined persons--with a pulse or not--is coincidental, as far as you know.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?