Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu DEP Nuke, First Post, Married honeypot

Author Topic: DEP Nuke, First Post, Married  (Read 15413 times)

ndavidson85

DEP Nuke, First Post, Married
« on: Oct 27, 2008, 09:25 »
Hello,

My name is Nathan XXXXXXXX from Houston, Tx, and I am currently in the NUKE program.

(Quick question on the ASVAP. I got a 99 / 272 (NUC). I know the 99 is the AFQT and is in reference to other people who took the test. But what is the "Nuke" score of 272. Where did it come from and does it mean anything? Also I'm not sure how I did well on the AFQT because I didn't know any of the Pulley questions or the automotive questions (I know diddely squat about car engines).)

MY REAL QUESTION - I am recently married and can't get a straight answer from anyone. I think I am lied to by my recruiter but I expect that, but then I can't find straight answers online either... Can she live with me during "A" school? My recruiter told me I would get 2 weeks leave after Basic to relocate her into a base house only (Off-Base housing with allowance not optional), but then I read online that NO ONE gets to live anywhere but barracks in A-School...

Was anyone here married when they went through "A" School as a NUKE?

« Last Edit: Oct 29, 2008, 01:48 by HoneyComb »

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: DEP Nuke, First Post, Married
« Reply #1 on: Oct 27, 2008, 10:52 »
Can your wife live with you- probably
Will you get leave between Boot and A school- very unlikely
Will the Navy pay to move your wife- maybe
Are U forced to life in barracks- depends

I was not married in the pipiline but I am know. And you and your wife are going to have to get used to the idea that some people in the Navy still view a wife as something that was not issued in your sea bag therefore you don't need it. Both of you need to spend some time researching and reading Navy instuctions. That way you know what your rights are and they cant be taken away by some A-hole at PSD. You really need to learn to find how to read naval instructions, just knowing the right answer isn't enough you need to know where it came from.
« Last Edit: Oct 27, 2008, 10:55 by 93-383 »

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #2 on: Oct 28, 2008, 06:31 »

Can your wife live with you- YES
Will the Navy pay to move your wife- YES..EVERYONE GETS A HOME OF RECORD MOVE
Are U forced to life in barracks- NO

Ok....Your wife can live with you....and you don't have to live on base unless you want to  ( I highly recommend you live in housing if possible), and the navy will move her. 

I don't know about boot camp leave....when I was enlisted, we got 2 weeks leave between boot camp and NFAS.  They don't do that anymore, but married folks might be an exception based on having to relocate the family.

Cheers,
GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #3 on: Oct 28, 2008, 04:04 »
GC and HC have given you solid answers, even if they are answers that aren't the most desirable.  To add to that:

If I was in the situation you are in, I wouldn't bring my new wife out to SC immediately after boot camp.  It is going to take you a little while to get everything squared away and get your bearings when you first get to NFAS/NPS.  Last thing you are going to want to be doing is trying to get a household set up, figure out what exactly is expected of you in class, and learning the ins and outs of daily Nuke student life all at the same time. It is infinitely easier to start off in the barracks, get your daily routine set up, and then attempt to move your wife out to SC.  Nothing saying that you couldn't fly her out for a long weekend after you get settled in for her to check out the area before you two decide on a plan of attack. 

You also have to determnine if you want to live in Base Housing or Public Housing. Both have good points and bad points.  If this is your first venture out into the real world, I recommend Base Housing.  Fewer bills to worry about, easy access to base, all your neighbors are Navy types, easy access to NEX/Comissary.  Just be warned that this will NOT establish a rental history for you when you decide to find an apartment in the future(this is assuming you don't live in base housing everywhere you go and that base housing hasn't been turned over to private ventures).  Also you can have your base house inspected and your COC informed of any issues that have not been addressed. Public apartments are a little more private, more diversity of neighbors, and generally in better condition.  However you have to pay for all your bills, put up with some undesirables, and are subject to leases and rate increases, that your pay may or may not cover. 

Best of luck to you. 
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #4 on: Oct 28, 2008, 09:29 »

I will do my best to put school first but only if she is there when I come home.

Good luck with that... but realize, once again, you don't have a choice in that so there is no "but only if..."

Thanks for your service.

Justin
« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2008, 09:30 by JustinHEMI »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #5 on: Oct 28, 2008, 10:46 »
I will do my best to put school first but only if she is there when I come home.

You want to put conditions on the Nav? hah! Let us know how THAT works out....

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #6 on: Oct 29, 2008, 07:31 »
Well thank you so much for the answers guys.

It's great to hear that she can come with me. As far as waiting til after "A" school, that isn't really an option. I will do my best to put school first but only if she is there when I come home. Yeah base housing is how we plan on doing it first so that it will be easier to get situated without also having to get situated in living alone and together for the first time.

Once again thanks for the answers.

There seems to be a little misunderstanding.  I did not intend to say that you should wait until you are completely done with A school, just that you should wait until you get a couple of weeks worth of classes under your belt.  Of course you may not "class up" right away and it could be 2 weeks or more before you see the inside of a classroom.  I am just giving you the advice to not attempt to move her to SC immediately upon your arrival to SC. 

Samabby

« Reply #7 on: Oct 29, 2008, 12:36 »
" My name is XXXX XXXXXX from Houston, Tx, "

Rule # 1

Never use your complete name on any board.

Good luck, son. 8)
« Last Edit: Oct 29, 2008, 01:47 by HoneyComb »

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #8 on: Oct 29, 2008, 03:26 »
You want to put conditions on the Nav? hah! Let us know how THAT works out....

I would have figured that he would have garnered at least a 200 quatloo wager.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2009, 10:12 »
If she isn't there, I won't NOT put school first, I won't be enlisted at all.

Sounds like the best option for all parties involved.

TheObiJuan

« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2009, 02:21 »
Check your PM.

I'm from Texas too and was in your situation 8 months ago.
Easy with some of the attitude, despite how it comes off, all info here is helpful, you just might not realize it now--even the way it is said is important.

Jackasses now may be mentors or friends when you are in need later.

Unless YOU mess up by breaking rules and end up in MILDIV for a month(out of school temporarily and doing menial labor as punishment) you will be living with your wife, eating dinner together, watching TV together, going out, and sleeping together.
I can't promise you will do all of those every night, in fact, most nights you will only have time to chose two or three of the above, if that!

The homes are simple but just what you need: free and really close to NNPTC (school)

sorry for the late reply...

sorry for the next comment but all that "can't wait to hear how that works out for you" make you sound like a jackass.

And i'm not enlisted yet, so frankly, the requirement is that she is there when i go home.

If she isn't there, I won't NOT put school first, I won't be enlisted at all. The only way I am getting on the plane to RTC is if I found out we'd be living together in "A" school.

Now that I have heard it is a MOST LIKELY, I will go ahead and stay in DEP. If she doesn't get to go because of a technical problem, I will live with it, but if I found out there was no way she'd be staying with me... then I probably wouldn't bother joining...

so that's how you put "conditions on the NAV", you don't join if you don't want to, gotta love volunteer work.

edited to remove profanity
« Last Edit: Jan 28, 2009, 07:32 by Gamecock »

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2009, 09:48 »

sorry for the next comment but all that "can't wait to hear how that works out for you" make you sound like a jackass.

And i'm not enlisted yet, so frankly, the requirement is that she is there when i go home.

If she isn't there, I won't NOT put school first, I won't be enlisted at all. The only way I am getting on the plane to RTC is if I found out we'd be living together in "A" school.

Now that I have heard it is a MOST LIKELY, I will go ahead and stay in DEP. If she doesn't get to go because of a technical problem, I will live with it, but if I found out there was no way she'd be staying with me... then I probably wouldn't bother joining...

so that's how you put "conditions on the NAV", you don't join if you don't want to, gotta love volunteer work.

ROTFLMAO! Thank you, I needed that.

Justin

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2009, 09:49 »
Sounds like the best option for all parties involved.

+1

Offline G-reg

• Heavy User
  • C'mere and chum some of this...
« Reply #13 on: Jan 28, 2009, 08:51 »

With an attitude such as that, perhaps the best service you can do your country is to just stay home.  The men and women SERVING in the Armed Forces don't need your conditional 'commitment'.  They have enough crap in a day without adding yours on top of everything else.

Just what is/was your plan for extended deployments??

Seriously - opt out...  NOW.  Don't "bother" doing a disservice to the men and women currently in uniform.

Good luck in your civilian life!
"But that's just my opinion - I could be wrong."
  -  Dennis Miller

Offline still_in

• Light User
« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2009, 11:09 »
With an attitude such as that, perhaps the best service you can do your country is to just stay home.  The men and women SERVING in the Armed Forces don't need your conditional 'commitment'.  They have enough crap in a day without adding yours on top of everything else.

Just what is/was your plan for extended deployments??

Seriously - opt out...  NOW.  Don't "bother" doing a disservice to the men and women currently in uniform.

Good luck in your civilian life!

WOW!
Kinda harsh considering the feedback this young man has received here.  Most of the posts make it seem as though it is impossible to be married and be a good Sailor.  It is quite possible to do both.  Some posts are right in that it may not be what he wants to here.  However, this guy hasn't even joined the Navy and he already has a negative outlook on the greatest service to the United States.

One thing that has failed to be mentioned in this thread is that there is a delicate balance between personal life and military life.  Some times, all to often, the military trumps all.  However, when you have the opportunity you have to do what is best for you life.  It isn't  a cake walk but it is likely that this guy will be a great Sailor and husband.

We should all take a step back and remember what we were doing just before we joined the Navy.  After all, it wasn't that long ago...right?

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
« Reply #15 on: Jan 29, 2009, 08:34 »
WOW!
Kinda harsh considering the feedback this young man has received here.  Most of the posts make it seem as though it is impossible to be married and be a good Sailor.  It is quite possible to do both.  Some posts are right in that it may not be what he wants to here.  However, this guy hasn't even joined the Navy and he already has a negative outlook on the greatest service to the United States.

One thing that has failed to be mentioned in this thread is that there is a delicate balance between personal life and military life.  Some times, all to often, the military trumps all.  However, when you have the opportunity you have to do what is best for you life.  It isn't  a cake walk but it is likely that this guy will be a great Sailor and husband.

We should all take a step back and remember what we were doing just before we joined the Navy.  After all, it wasn't that long ago...right?

The kid asked for advice....got it....and didn't like the answers.

He then proceeded to fire off a Salvo that irritated several respected members of this forum....Note that this Salvo was fired three months after his first post...therefore, one can logically conclude that he was trying to get a rise out of certain members of the forum.....well, he got it.

Cheers,
GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline deltarho

• An EOOW asked during his S/Y steam plant testing pre-watch tour, "Shouldn't those scram breakers be open?" K-thunk, K-thunk. "Uh-oh!"
  • Heavy User
  • I make alpha particle "direct delivery" systems.
« Reply #16 on: Jan 30, 2009, 01:48 »
I have so far maintained a positive karma to post ratio...until now ???

First... Thank you for your service.

Second...Thank you for not being old enough to have joined while I had to run a division.  You seem very codependent and your new bride seems very high maintenance. Or perhaps, you just don't trust her enough to be away from her.  Being away for 6+ months at a time has caused many a set of knees to "go bad" or backs to be "wrenched".  Then, when you are gone, the division suffers because of the lead time it takes to replace you.

I deduce by your posts that you have lived in a bubble or do not get TV out in your part of Texas.  I have seen countless stories about deployments that have been extended and the families that have had to improvise without the head of the household there to fix the leaky faucet, change the tire, change out the AC filters, get the car's oil changed, watch the birth, be there for the conception, etc.  Are you and your honey truly aware of the sacrifices involved? 

Very few enjoy being away from their spouses.  Fewer enjoy the mail calls that seem to come without letters from home, when there should be letters and everyone else got several.  Only later do you find that the bag with your 8 letters is still on the carrier or got moved ahead to wait at your next destination for liberty.  But you find that out after you sent a scathing letter home asking WTF?

The Navy is no place for someone who cannot live without their significant other attached at the hip...it will either get you hurt or killed, put you in a position to damage equipment, or a Bad Conduct Discharge.

If I have read you wrong and misunderstood your intentions when you say that you won't do your job if your wife isn't there to greet you when you get home:

You should immediately connect her with a support group. 

You should immediately connect with a support group.  I would recommend the Chaplain, but the one on my first ship told me it was his "main job to keep families together and to teach sailors about forgiveness, because it is only natural after being alone for so long that your wife will cheat on you."  Either he was a total butt or he was pragmatic, you decide; however, this is the type of "help" you can look forward to from your buds when you are out to sea for extended periods.

Welcome to the real world.
The above has nothing to do with any real  or imagined person(s).  Moreover, any referenced biped(s) simulating real or imagined persons--with a pulse or not--is coincidental, as far as you know.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #17 on: Jan 30, 2009, 04:21 »
The point I really wanted to make is that there was no way I was going to volunteer to get married and leave for 8 months (since she barely agreed to 8 weeks for basic).

200 quatloos against the newcomer

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
« Reply #18 on: Jan 30, 2009, 07:18 »
I'm locking this topic, as there is nothing else relevant that could be posted here.

Cheers,
GC

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?