Career Path > Navy:Getting Out

Soon to Make the Jump

(1/3) > >>

20 Years Gone:
Good Morning,
   Well, it's time to retire from the navy, and I'm getting some conflicting advice.  Unfortunately, I do not have the degree wrapped up, so come out as
1.  ETC
2.  PPWO Qualed
3.  Planner school grad
4.  MTS/Instructor NEC
5.  I&C supervision evperience
   I have a good friend with a similar background who got out 3 years ago, and went to work in New York, and has done very well.  He tells me that the degree isn't that important, and that the average from I&C supervision is around 80K, and I shouldn't have much problem once I reach the interview process.  But, after talking with several recruiters, I've been told that 80K would be like winning the lottery, and my I&C experience will be fine for getting a tech job, but that supervision/management is mostly hired from within.  I would greatly appreciate some feedback from you all, who seem to know the current realities of the industry.
   I've spent enough time lately away from my family, so don't desire to be a traveller, but rather would like to find a company with decent management so I can put down some roots and watch my children gorw up.

Thanks in advance!! 

alphadude:
yes thats true about "from within".  however, during your interview make sure you let the HR people know that you want management as soon as possible.

Most I&C techs can make $80k a year with typical overtime offered.  In management however, you have to put in the same overtime just no pay for it!  So its 6 of 1 and half of another.  Got to a system like Duke or TVA. Some of the states that they have plants in are state tax free, and the cost of living is lots lower in the south. (food-rent-etc)

Chelios:
There are contract I&C services. You might want to work temporary jobs. You'll meet some people, see some things and get some first hand info. Every place is different and they all have their own attitude. Some places you may find that the techs resent an outsider, while other places they may not want a management position and will be amenable to an outsider. Your electronics experience may be more valuable outside the nuclear industry, so don't limit yourself to this dying industry.

20 Years Gone:
well, that does bring up a whole new subject... Is the nuclear power industry in america a "dying industry"?  I've hear that a lot of the current work force will be ready to retire in the next 3 to 8 years...I have, I figure, between 20 and 25 years left in me, as I'm about to turn 40, and don't want to work beyond 65.  So, again, from you industry insiders... is the nuclear industry dying, or will it begin to expand again at some point?

Nuclear NASCAR:
Is the industry dying, or is the workforce aging?  With plants getting extensions for another 20 years & most of those extensions coming just after reaching the 20 year in-service mark that leaves possibly another 40 years for many plants. 

For those in the HP (or RP depdending on your preference) end of the industry there's still the D&D part of plant life.  I'd say that without any new plants there's still another 40 to 50 years left in the industry. 

I've strayed far enough off-topic, perhaps I'll start another topic and carry on from here.  If anyone else wants to start that before I get to it I'll just follow the discussion.

Good points to consider for the future 20 Years Gone.  Welcome to the site. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version