Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Decline from Navy Nuke  

Author Topic: Decline from Navy Nuke  (Read 18330 times)

babyblue1313

Decline from Navy Nuke
« on: Nov 03, 2008, 03:43 »
Hey everyone, first post here so I don't really know what to expect, but I was just decline from Navy Nuke.

I was all good to go, they had told me I was over qualified, and I could change my rate any time(im currently ABH). So I called my recruiter today to get into Nuke, and he told me that they had declined me.

The reason I was declined is because of my High School. I went to a magnet school within a main High School program. Biggest difference - No G.P.A.

I have a official diploma and everything, but now the Navy has decided that even though I am intilectually qualified the high school I went to doesn't qualify me. So confused.

What I am posting here for is, is there anything I can possibly do to get into Nuke at this point, or are these decisions completely final.

One more thing I would like to ask. My two different job goals for the navy was SEALs or NUKE. Issue with SEALs is I would never get to see my girlfriend(also in the navy) for almost the entire time I was in the navy, so I'm not so keen on SEALs anymore. Nuke looked to be the perfect option, but now this happens.

So, if NUKE doesn't work out, what other jobs would people suggest? Mainly I'm looking for something with good advancement possibilities, good sign in bonus, and low risk.

Anything is helpful, thanks in advance.

withroaj

Re: Decline from Navy Nuke
« Reply #1 on: Nov 03, 2008, 03:49 »
If you take a certain amount of college courses you're in.  Don't count on getting time with your special lady friend, though. Good luck.

babyblue1313

« Reply #2 on: Nov 03, 2008, 03:51 »
That's good news, any idea how many credits I would need? I have close to 20 at the moment.

ialsoagree

« Reply #3 on: Nov 03, 2008, 03:57 »
It might be 24, my community college was willing to issue my AS without a HS diploma based on me having 24 college credit hours completed.

As soon as I got my AS I qualified for NUPOC and I don't even have to have a HS diploma (still don't, don't even need a waiver).

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #4 on: Nov 03, 2008, 04:27 »
Hey everyone, first post here so I don't really know what to expect, but I was just decline from Navy Nuke.

I was all good to go, they had told me I was over qualified, and I could change my rate any time(im currently ABH). So I called my recruiter today to get into Nuke, and he told me that they had declined me.

The reason I was declined is because of my High School. I went to a magnet school within a main High School program. Biggest difference - No G.P.A.

I have a official diploma and everything, but now the Navy has decided that even though I am intilectually qualified the high school I went to doesn't qualify me. So confused.

What I am posting here for is, is there anything I can possibly do to get into Nuke at this point, or are these decisions completely final.

One more thing I would like to ask. My two different job goals for the navy was SEALs or NUKE. Issue with SEALs is I would never get to see my girlfriend(also in the navy) for almost the entire time I was in the navy, so I'm not so keen on SEALs anymore. Nuke looked to be the perfect option, but now this happens.

So, if NUKE doesn't work out, what other jobs would people suggest? Mainly I'm looking for something with good advancement possibilities, good sign in bonus, and low risk.

Anything is helpful, thanks in advance.

Your recruiter should be able to give you a list of jobs you're eligible based on your ASVAB and entry date.  From that list ask the recruiter for a list of CREO ratings.  This will be a chart with columns for E-4/5/6 with a number (1, 2, or 3) next to it.  The lower the number the better retention and advancement opportunities.  Hope this helps.  Good Luck.

Derek Murray
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #5 on: Nov 03, 2008, 05:38 »
It might be 24, my community college was willing to issue my AS without a HS diploma based on me having 24 college credit hours completed.

As soon as I got my AS I qualified for NUPOC and I don't even have to have a HS diploma (still don't, don't even need a waiver).

Qualifying for NUPOC and getting accepted for NUPOC are two different items completely.  You will have to answer why you don't have a HS diploma to someone during the process. 
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

ialsoagree

« Reply #6 on: Nov 03, 2008, 06:19 »
Qualifying for NUPOC and getting accepted for NUPOC are two different items completely.  You will have to answer why you don't have a HS diploma to someone during the process. 

I have no doubt of that, but if the concern is being qualified to go Nuke then getting an AS is a way to get qualified.
« Last Edit: Nov 03, 2008, 06:19 by ialsoagree »

illegalsmile

« Reply #7 on: Nov 04, 2008, 12:33 »
I am intilectually qualified the high school I went to doesn't qualify me. So confused.
Anybody else see any irony here?

BuddyThePug

« Reply #8 on: Nov 04, 2008, 02:47 »

With such grammar, probably a better SEAL....

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #9 on: Nov 04, 2008, 03:52 »
With such grammar, probably a better SEAL....

ugh...me kill...ugh...shoot stuff.....ugh...me like blood....ugh.
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

Offline Demps0880

• Light User
« Reply #10 on: Nov 24, 2008, 09:57 »
I am new to this site as well.  Fortunately for you I am actually one of the many Nuclear Field recruiters throughout the nation right now.  So, to answer your question, yes you can apply for the program with a nontraditional education waiver if your recruiter runs an education verification and you are considered a High School Diploma Graduate (HSDG).  I know you finished high school; however, the Navy is actually quite picky about what is deemed a traditional high school.  If you have more specific questions you need to contact the Nuclear Field Coordinator for the District you are in.

As for the concern between SEAL or Nuke, you really need to think about what you goals in life really are.  First recommendation, never make a career decision based off of time with your girlfriend unless you are serious enough that she could be the one.  Secondly, those are completely opposite ends of the spectrum which both provide good opportunities depending on what you really want.  Sit down and think about where you want to be 5 years from now. . . 10 years from now. . . then make a decision.  But technically you are not qualified to come into the Nuclear Power Program with the Navy unless you get an approved waiver through Naval Reactors.

Hope this helps!!

Chad

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #11 on: Nov 24, 2008, 10:09 »
Issue with SEALs is I would never get to see my girlfriend(also in the navy) for almost the entire time I was in the navy,

Why not just change to your gf's rating, since it maximizes the chances of being stationed together?

Offline deltarho

• An EOOW asked during his S/Y steam plant testing pre-watch tour, "Shouldn't those scram breakers be open?" K-thunk, K-thunk. "Uh-oh!"
  • Heavy User
  • I make alpha particle "direct delivery" systems.
« Reply #12 on: Nov 25, 2008, 09:24 »

It's the darn IM and texting culture topped with the school systems not wanting to bruise someone's self-esteem by marking anything "-.5 sp " = language and spelling subpar to Ebonics.
« Last Edit: Nov 25, 2008, 09:25 by deltarho »
The above has nothing to do with any real  or imagined person(s).  Moreover, any referenced biped(s) simulating real or imagined persons--with a pulse or not--is coincidental, as far as you know.

PapaBear765

« Reply #13 on: Nov 28, 2008, 07:48 »
We keep going through this,....

Did you talk to a Nuclear Recruiter or someone else?

A Nuclear Recruiter can answer these questions you have better than most of us,...

Here are some of the threads dealing with Navy Nuclear recruiters;

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,4904.0.html

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,14706.msg84374.html#msg84374

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,2350.msg20357.html#msg20357

A word of friendly advice, if you want to go nuke, learn to research before "crutching", crutchers are annoying,...

Good luck and thank you for your service,....marssim  8)

Careful...someone will smite you for telling him to "use the search function."  That's now on the black list.

dad

« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2011, 05:15 »
Seals and Nuclear Field are both extremely challenging goals.

The public explanation for wanting a traditional high school transcript
from an accredited public or private high school is to allow an
evaluation of likelihood for success.

Even having a college degree without a standard high school
transcript and diploma will be automatically rejected,
or at least that is what the publically available navy recruiting regs say.

Also it was my son's experience, but he got in with a waiver.

A waiver is likely going to be required and that is going to require some initiative
and hard work on your part.  With, or without, additional college.

Nothing compared to the work you are going to have to
put in if they accept you ( and give you a chance to fail ).

How bad do you want it ???

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?