Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Rad Health Officer honeypot

Author Topic: Rad Health Officer  (Read 23147 times)

Cycoticpenguin

Rad Health Officer
« on: Nov 26, 2008, 04:52 »
Hello everyone, I have someone been curious about becoming an RHO, and was trying to find good information. I only was able to google up this http://rad.usuhs.mil/radhealth/

but nothing else popped up useful. Im more looking at how to become one, job seems to be someone what self explanatory.

thanks in advance.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
Re: Rad Health Officer
« Reply #1 on: Nov 26, 2008, 05:01 »
You need to get a college degree first. 

Did you even read the website you linked to?

It lists contact information to get more information.
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #2 on: Nov 26, 2008, 05:46 »
You need to get a college degree first. 

Did you even read the website you linked to?

It lists contact information to get more information.

should specify more of what im saying, im looking for the personal response of someone who either IS or is becoming one.

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Last Edit: Nov 26, 2008, 05:56 by 93-383 »

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #4 on: Nov 26, 2008, 06:03 »
Are you already in?

If so read OPNAVinst 1420.1a ch 6

http://doni.daps.dla.mil/Directives/01000%20military%20personnel%20support/01-400%20promotion%20and%20advancement%20programs/1420.1a-1.pdf

thanks for the link, gave a lot of answers. I Still would like to have a quasi 1 on 1 with someone currently or formerly an RHO.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
« Reply #5 on: Nov 26, 2008, 06:45 »
thanks for the link, gave a lot of answers. I Still would like to have a quasi 1 on 1 with someone currently or formerly an RHO.

Isn't there an RHO on IKE????

There was when I was there.
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
« Reply #6 on: Nov 26, 2008, 08:13 »
Isn't there an RHO on IKE????

There was when I was there.

He has a very valid point. If you want to pursue an officer program you need to start making contacts now, in person not online. Talking to the LDOs, CWOs, and the RHO on board will help you get a much better idea on how to pursue this option. Additionally some of these people will be sitting your interview boards so making connections early is the key.

Make sure you can answer this question before you talk to any of them,
"why do you want to be an RHO"
« Last Edit: Nov 26, 2008, 08:15 by 93-383 »

withroaj

« Reply #7 on: Nov 26, 2008, 08:56 »
If I may be so bold...

I was trying to figure out a way to spin this, but I love it too much so I'll let it stand :D

ELT's are the shadiest mo-fo's :D CLOSELY followed by reactor mechanics ;)  ("Why yes! we DID have a WAF posted and the correct tagouts!" XD)

sea daddies are worthless most of the time. If you can get a good one, kudos, but you are DEFINATELY putting your eggs in one basket if you leave it at that...

Ok... here we go....

figured one of you guys would contest that.

So, one of my good buddies was stuck on t-track for 15 months, his friend for about the same time frame, several other people waiting from anywhere from 6-9 months+...  They were all going to be severed from the program for not getting their clearance, so one of them said "Screw that" and wrote his senator. NCIS did an investigation and found out the security clearance coordinator was actually not doing his job properly/at all. Had he not been recently promoted to chief, he would have been immediately removed. Amazingly... less the 2 weeks later EVERYONE had their clearance. Had they just "used their chain of command", they would have all been discharged. (To add some spice to this story, they found waivers/letters/important documents behind the dudes desk, collecting dust, received months prior to the investigation)

Before you criticize me, please realize that I DO have some experience on some things sir. I have learned first hand not to just sit on it and expect your CoC to take care of it. Being proactive is key. To quote the bible "God helps those who help themselves". Taking away the biblical aspect of it, I completely agree with that statement.

while it's contraband on, I believe, most (if not all) carriers, its a FANTASTIC way to get checkouts if you are falling behind...

I might recommend starting a new profile to ask questions about officer programs.  You can't demonstrate a terrible attitude toward the NNPP and the Navy and then ask how to advance your career within the same organization.  Then again, I am not an officer and I have nothing to do with the officer advancement/recruiting process. 

If I had to guess (based on the general tone of your previous posts), you heard the myth that RHO's get paid huge money and do zero sea time (and USS ENTERPRISE has a McDonald's on board).  A super-sleazy job full of bonuses and perks calls to you.  EAOS might do you better than RHO.

I'd like to apologize honestly for being so judgmental.  It's not my intent to come across as holier-than-thou; I just think you might want to get some priorities in order as an enlisted member prior to looking for a commission.  Best of luck in your endeavors.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
« Reply #8 on: Nov 26, 2008, 09:01 »
If I may be so bold...

I might recommend starting a new profile to ask questions about officer programs.  You can't demonstrate a terrible attitude toward the NNPP and the Navy and then ask how to advance your career within the same organization.  Then again, I am not an officer and I have nothing to do with the officer advancement/recruiting process. 

If I had to guess (based on the general tone of your previous posts), you heard the myth that RHO's get paid huge money and do zero sea time (and USS ENTERPRISE has a McDonald's on board).  A super-sleazy job full of bonuses and perks calls to you.  EAOS might do you better than RHO.

I'd like to apologize honestly for being so judgmental.  It's not my intent to come across as holier-than-thou; I just think you might want to get some priorities in order as an enlisted member prior to looking for a commission.  Best of luck in your endeavors.

Very well said. 

+K to you now, and also tomorrow

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #9 on: Nov 26, 2008, 10:43 »
Wouldn't an RHO need to be able to draw a TLD? Plant access?
« Last Edit: Nov 27, 2008, 09:21 by HydroDave63 »

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #10 on: Nov 26, 2008, 11:58 »
Very well said. 

+K to you now, and also tomorrow

+1.

Justin

« Last Edit: Nov 27, 2008, 12:05 by JustinHEMI »

PapaBear765

« Reply #11 on: Nov 27, 2008, 06:58 »
If I may be so bold...

:)

Offline cincinnatinuke

• Chemistry Technician CCNPP
  • Moderate User
« Reply #12 on: Nov 27, 2008, 11:47 »
If I may be so bold...

Even I must agree with you here...........though I normally will defend a person at the onset.

NucJanitor,

You really ought to go back and re-read your posts from the time you started here.  You are all over the spectrum man!

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #13 on: Nov 28, 2008, 04:09 »
If I may be so bold...

I understand your position, but please try to look at mine. I spent 5 months in boot camp because someone couldnt do their job. I had friends spend years on t track because someone couldnt do their job, I spent a year a prototype because someone couldnt do their job, my sea dad told me straight up he didnt have time for me and that I needed to "figure S**t out on my own",  I didnt get my tld for 10 months on board because someone couldnt do their job....   so yes, I am a bit bitter towards certain aspects of the navy. However, I do enjoy my job and I do enjoy my time in the navy for the most part.

Why do I want to be an RHO? Because its a job I find interesting and challenging, while it also has good civilian prospects as well. I have done some research, so please dont put words in my mouth.  Im not looking for a commission right now. That would be some what simple with a STA-21 crossover.

GAMECOCK -> I have spoken with my RHO several times, and he is the one that got me interested in it. However, he is a busy man and I dont like to tie people down if i dont have to. I came online to see if any of our guys are RHO's.

bottom line, it seems like 99% of you read to deep into my posts, and thats my fault really. So in the future I will convey my thoughts more accurately and more politically correct so you guys dont have smiting frenzies on me :)

(For the record, I had a breach of contract (navy's fault) and decided to stay in... that alone should speak about my intentions with the navy)

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #14 on: Nov 29, 2008, 07:16 »

I understand your position, but please try to look at mine. I spent 5 months in boot camp because someone couldnt do their job. I had friends spend years on t track because someone couldnt do their job, I spent a year a prototype because someone couldnt do their job, my sea dad told me straight up he didnt have time for me and that I needed to "figure S**t out on my own",  I didnt get my tld for 10 months on board because someone couldnt do their job....   so yes, I am a bit bitter towards certain aspects of the navy.  <snip>

Is it not coincidental that it is always the people/system "couldn't do their job" when things don't go your way? Could the sea dad have been busy standing watch and carrying out in-plant duties? Just askin here...

(For the record, I had a breach of contract (navy's fault) and decided to stay in... that alone should speak about my intentions with the navy)

thanks for the reply mike,

couple things - > 

1) the thing disqualifying me was  Viral Encephalitis. I had a grand mal seizure and was in a coma for over a month. Recovery was full, but left some "ticks" (nothing a normal person would notice). This is what caused my delay on DEP, and why I was denied service. the fact that the waivers were not given to me is nothing to do with me, nor was I told anything was wrong in my term of service so far.

So you tell us it is the Navy's fault for a defective enlistment.....but did you REALLY inform the MEPS examining physician of a month of coma due to viral encephalitis??!?  That is a pretty rough situation, no doubt... but I'm not seeing how any physician would ( if you did fully inform him of that ) have signed off on sending you to boot camp, period.

So.... either A) the doctor blessed it off, and you were okay with that, since you wanted the perks of the Nuclear Nav, or B) you didn't tell the doc, because you wanted the perks of the Nuclear Nav, and didn't want the encephalitis to inhibit that good deal.

Either way, who misled who, on that there defective enlistment?

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
« Reply #15 on: Nov 29, 2008, 09:21 »

I understand your position, but please try to look at mine. I spent 5 months in boot camp because someone couldnt do their job. I had friends spend years on t track because someone couldnt do their job, I spent a year a prototype because someone couldnt do their job, my sea dad told me straight up he didnt have time for me and that I needed to "figure S**t out on my own",  I didnt get my tld for 10 months on board because someone couldnt do their job....   so yes, I am a bit bitter towards certain aspects of the navy. However, I do enjoy my job and I do enjoy my time in the navy for the most part.

As long as you continue to blame everyone for your situation, you will never reach your potential in life. 

Life ain't fair.....sometimes bad things happen to good people. 

Its how you react to adversity and what you do to overcome it that will ultimately define who you are.  Will you blame others and wallow in your own pity party, or will you man up and take the steps necessary to better your situation?  Only you can answer those questions, and those questions are best answered by your actions, not your words. 

Quoting a book I once read........

And acceptance is the answer to *all* my problems today.  When I am disturbed, it is because I find some person, place, thing or situation---some fact of my life---unacceptable to me, and I can find no serenity until I accept that person, place, thing or situation as being exactly the way it is supposed to be at this moment. Nothing, absolutely nothing happens in God's world by mistake...
« Last Edit: Nov 29, 2008, 02:18 by Gamecock »

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #16 on: Nov 30, 2008, 04:17 »
Is it not coincidental that it is always the people/system "couldn't do their job" when things don't go your way? Could the sea dad have been busy standing watch and carrying out in-plant duties? Just askin here...

So you tell us it is the Navy's fault for a defective enlistment.....but did you REALLY inform the MEPS examining physician of a month of coma due to viral encephalitis??!?  That is a pretty rough situation, no doubt... but I'm not seeing how any physician would ( if you did fully inform him of that ) have signed off on sending you to boot camp, period.

So.... either A) the doctor blessed it off, and you were okay with that, since you wanted the perks of the Nuclear Nav, or B) you didn't tell the doc, because you wanted the perks of the Nuclear Nav, and didn't want the encephalitis to inhibit that good deal.

Either way, who misled who, on that there defective enlistment?

I Agree with gamecocks recent post, so im only answering this because you asked.

1) YES I did tell them I had encephalitis. They actually denied me entry into the military until I went through a special clinic and observations. However, they did all that locally, and at that point it wasnt up to them. They needed to give it bupers and let them decide. from what I understand, bupers probably would have canned me at MEPS.  It wasnt misleading on either part, it was someone not wanting to do paper work to get me in. They caught this on the carrier (by the RHO of all people), and the RHO was the one that offered me the choice of staying or getting out.  The difference here is between "defective enlistment" and "Fraudulent enlistment". One is illegal, the other is not...

2)  I spent 5 months in boot camp because who ever lost my service record. Friends spent 15 months on t track because someone didnt want to do paper work properly.  spent a year at prototype because someone installed valves backwards! So yes, I would say my issues are 99.99% on the other party.

3) my sea dad was a top sider. He was busy doing whatever topsiders do during the holiday season (i.e. not much compared to us). Im sure if my sea dad was a nuke I would have been treated a little better. and i think this is where you guys are giving me animosity. my apologies for not being clear on this.

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #17 on: Nov 30, 2008, 09:11 »
OK, here's the deal.  If you've got something helpful, say it.  If it's more of a "as your self-designated Sea Dad" type of advice send it via PM.  Here's the reason I'm posting this advice; NukeWorker.com’s goal is to help others, not see how many people we can annoy.  While I'm sure the attitude adjustment advice was needed last year I think that the time has come to quit pulling it out every single time he starts a new topic.

Any questions I'm just a PM away.

Peace,
Tom
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

JsonD13

« Reply #18 on: Dec 02, 2008, 10:35 »
A couple years ago I applied for the MSC IPP Rad Health Officer program.  If you read OPNAV 1420.1A (I'm pretty sure that's the current rev) you'll find that you do NOT need a BS to start the program (they have a completion program for this).  I talked with quite a few current RHO's (and met a few former ones last year too).  Most of them went through a recruiter to get into the program, however. 
If you want to get a good insight on what RHO's actually do on and off the ship (its not really THAT self explanatory), read some of their instructions (P-5055 comes to mind).  Talk with the dosimetry guys (not just any ELT, the ones that actually work in dosimetry, the dose sup would be best) on your ship to find out their interactions with the RHO on a daily basis (Oh yeah, RHO's have to qualify TLD Reader too).
As an RHO you will need to be eligible for a TLD for shipboard duties, but the requirements for issuing TLD's to sailors outside the NNPP (RHO's do exist outside the NNPP thats why they are part of medical Dept.)  are different, so you still might qualify (talk to your current RHO about this).
NKO has a radiation health officer community page which gives some really good info on the community (also you can find more than one RHO to give you an interview this way).  Look under the medical service corps communities to find it.

CAUTION!  SHAMELESS PLUG AHEAD!

For some more info on the wonderful world of radiation health, I would start off with the health physics society website, www.hps.org .  It may not be Navy specific but it is really good to get an idea of the career field you are choosing by going into RHO.

Good luck,
Jason

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #19 on: Dec 07, 2008, 10:02 »
thank you for your reply json, I did get a chance to speak with someone applying for the same program, and he confirmed what you stated in your post. I was issued a TLD recently, so im ok in that aspect.

I loosely went through the website you posted up, and it seems more political based then explaining what goes on. Is there a BBS on there at all? I cant find it.

JsonD13

« Reply #20 on: Dec 08, 2008, 08:56 »
They have a BBS if you become a member.  You can get a trial version of the journal, "Health Physics"  by following the following links:

Publications>Health Physics Journal>Journal Highlights Archive>November 2008>Trial Issue Request

The organization definetly does have a political standpoint (as any organization with an interest in their respective scientific field), but you can definetly get an idea of what a health physicist does by going to the following links:

Who we are>Careers

Hope this helps guide you into something more specific.

Jason

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #21 on: Dec 08, 2008, 10:58 »
They have a BBS if you become a member.  You can get a trial version of the journal, "Health Physics"  by following the following links:

Publications>Health Physics Journal>Journal Highlights Archive>November 2008>Trial Issue Request

The organization definetly does have a political standpoint (as any organization with an interest in their respective scientific field), but you can definetly get an idea of what a health physicist does by going to the following links:

Who we are>Careers

Hope this helps guide you into something more specific.

Jason

AH! Ok I have to be a member, that explains it lol. I was looking for a bbs and couldnt find it :D I Had already gone through the careers link, thank you :)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?