Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Senior Reactor Operator Expectations honeypot

Author Topic: Senior Reactor Operator Expectations  (Read 8515 times)

sullied

Senior Reactor Operator Expectations
« on: Dec 02, 2008, 09:14 »
What can I expect from a SRO position? I'm sure it will be vastly different from my current situation (navy), but I'm basically wondering what's generally encountered on shift by an SRO. Also, what are the general expectations for dress and appearance? Any other thoughts would be wonderful to hear also.

JustinHEMI05

Re: Senior Reactor Operator Expectations
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2008, 09:49 »
What can I expect from a SRO position? I'm sure it will be vastly different from my current situation (navy), but I'm basically wondering what's generally encountered on shift by an SRO. Also, what are the general expectations for dress and appearance? Any other thoughts would be wonderful to hear also.

You can expect the training to be harder than anything you have done in your life until that point (not from a material difficulty standpoint, rather a material volume standpoint).

You can expect a lot of paperwork, a lot of plant testing/surveillance's, a lot of exams, a lot of collateral duties, a lot of responsibilities that are too numerable to name here, a lot of stress, a lot of money and a lot of respect (depending on your attitude, of course).

You can expect that there will be nothing, at all similar (except nuclear BS), to your current situation as you thought. Well except that fission is fission and steam is steam and there are only so many ways to make it turn a turbine. That is where the similarities end.

In general, you can expect to wear slacks and some sort collared shirt like a polo or button down. Colors will vary by plant but they all (or at least most) wear an "ops uniform." You will be expected to be clean shaven (mustache ok), for the Scott air packs. I have heard a senior SRO tell a nub SRO that he "didn't look like an operator." I still don't know what that means, but if I figure it out, I will let you know.

Hope that helps.

Justin
« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2008, 09:51 by JustinHEMI »

Offline zilla

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2008, 10:34 »
You can expect the training to be harder than anything you have done in your life until that point (not from a material difficulty standpoint, rather a material volume standpoint).

You can expect a lot of paperwork, a lot of plant testing/surveillance's, a lot of exams, a lot of collateral duties, a lot of responsibilities that are too numerable to name here, a lot of stress, a lot of money and a lot of respect (depending on your attitude, of course).

You can expect that there will be nothing, at all similar (except nuclear BS), to your current situation as you thought. Well except that fission is fission and steam is steam and there are only so many ways to make it turn a turbine. That is where the similarities end.

In general, you can expect to wear slacks and some sort collared shirt like a polo or button down. Colors will vary by plant but they all (or at least most) wear an "ops uniform." You will be expected to be clean shaven (mustache ok), for the Scott air packs. I have heard a senior SRO tell a nub SRO that he "didn't look like an operator." I still don't know what that means, but if I figure it out, I will let you know.

Hope that helps.

Justin

Very well said..... that sums up the SRO job pretty well.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2010, 01:05 »
Soooooo,....did you figure out what an operator looks like yet?!?!?!

Yes, I think so. No one has said anything negative yet, so I will take that as a good sign.  ;D

M1Ark

« Reply #5 on: Apr 01, 2010, 12:35 »
Yes, I think so. No one has said anything negative yet, so I will take that as a good sign.  ;D

I've seen Justin when he was at his previous plant... and no he does not look like an operator.
« Last Edit: Apr 05, 2010, 10:33 by M1Ark »

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #6 on: Apr 01, 2010, 12:58 »
I've seen Justin when he was at his previous plant... and no he does not look like a operator.

;D ;D ;D

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?