Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu USAF Enlisted thinking about going Navy Officer (leaning toward Nuke) honeypot

Author Topic: USAF Enlisted thinking about going Navy Officer (leaning toward Nuke)  (Read 3233 times)

cjb

Hey all, hope you had a good Christmas. First, let me introduce myself, and say that I've searched a lot of Nukeworker and gained some great information. However, I haven't seen this question asked about my current situation. Anyway, currently I'm enlisted in the USAF as an Ammo troop, 3 years into my 6 yr contract. Been stationed at Nellis for going on 2 years, and I've had a desk job the entire time. In Korea I built missiles for a year, but that's about the extent of my "hands on" experience. Now, while I don't terribly mind my current position (it keeps me out of the heat in the summer, etc, etc), I can't help but feel like I'm being challenged or really going anywhere with my career. This is why I've been looking into officer programs, either in the AF or Navy. I have 3 years left in my contract, and by then, I should have my B.S. in Information Technology with a track in Information Security. Now, I understand in order to go to another service, I'd need to finish up my current contract.
My question is, how would that work out if I wanted to go into the Navy as an officer, and as a Nuke? I've tried contacting an officer recruiter but have had no luck here in Vegas. Would I just finish my contract, and during my terminal leave start getting things underway, or is there a better way to do it, preferably while I'm still in? From what I've read, it's my understanding that any technical degree should suffice; is that correct? On top of that, is there anything I can do to help get me into the Nuke officer program? So far my career has been great with no problems or disciplinary actions.
Ack, I apologize for the lengthy posts and numerous questions. Hopefully I can gain some more insight from you guys. I appreciate any help in advance. Thanks.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
Hey all, hope you had a good Christmas. First, let me introduce myself, and say that I've searched a lot of Nukeworker and gained some great information. However, I haven't seen this question asked about my current situation. Anyway, currently I'm enlisted in the USAF as an Ammo troop, 3 years into my 6 yr contract. Been stationed at Nellis for going on 2 years, and I've had a desk job the entire time. In Korea I built missiles for a year, but that's about the extent of my "hands on" experience. Now, while I don't terribly mind my current position (it keeps me out of the heat in the summer, etc, etc), I can't help but feel like I'm being challenged or really going anywhere with my career. This is why I've been looking into officer programs, either in the AF or Navy. I have 3 years left in my contract, and by then, I should have my B.S. in Information Technology with a track in Information Security. Now, I understand in order to go to another service, I'd need to finish up my current contract.
My question is, how would that work out if I wanted to go into the Navy as an officer, and as a Nuke? I've tried contacting an officer recruiter but have had no luck here in Vegas. Would I just finish my contract, and during my terminal leave start getting things underway, or is there a better way to do it, preferably while I'm still in? From what I've read, it's my understanding that any technical degree should suffice; is that correct? On top of that, is there anything I can do to help get me into the Nuke officer program? So far my career has been great with no problems or disciplinary actions.
Ack, I apologize for the lengthy posts and numerous questions. Hopefully I can gain some more insight from you guys. I appreciate any help in advance. Thanks.

When I had my first nuke officer interview back in 1996, there was an AF E5 interviewing as well.  I didn't get to talk to him to figure out what he was doing there, but I suspect he was like you.

“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline NukeNTO

• Moderate User
You can do an inter-service transfer as HoneyComb stated.  If the AF approves you to leave you won't have to fulfill the remaining three years.  We've gotten guys from the Coast Guard this way in the past and while i was on my sub we lost a couple of guys to the Army.  I don't know the details of what you need to get the AF to release you aside from what the Navy would need to see.  Basically we're looking for a signed letter from your CO stating that your release is approved pending being picked up for a Navy Officer program.  Your career counselor (or whatever you call them in the AF) should be able to get you more details on what paperwork you'd have to fill out. 

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?