Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Dream Sheet 2 - from a sub vol perspective

Author Topic: Dream Sheet 2 - from a sub vol perspective  (Read 17442 times)

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
Re: Dream Sheet 2 - from a sub vol perspective
« Reply #25 on: Jan 12, 2009, 08:51 »
Well if you don't like hanging out with Navy people everywhere you go in foreign ports, you won't like a CVN.  Remember that a CVN will have about 5000 people, 4600 of which are men.  When you pull into port, you take over most places that you will pull into.  Every where you turn you will see squids, unless you get adventurous and leave the immediate area for places not commonly known(although not advisable as sometimes ships movements change and you have the chance to get left behind.  Less likely if you are in town with every other sailor from the ship).  Add in the shear number of men on board a CVN and you can only imagine what sorts of "entrepenuers" start coming out of the woodworks and will tend to overwhelm every bar in a 2 mile radius. 

However, life in a CVN is pretty good.  Get email, fresh food, Duty rotation usually isn't less than 6(unless you are at the end of a shipyard period).  However you tend to be lower on the totem pole as a nuke on a carrier than on a SSN from what I have been told. 

FYI, I put in for SSN out of San Dog as #1, SSN out of Pearl for #2 and ended up on a CVN out of San Dog.  Couldn't have been happier. 
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

Keln

« Reply #26 on: Jan 12, 2009, 03:46 »
Well, just to add to what these guys said...

An SSN is a pretty small ship. You're talking 120 or so guys, and that's it. You can get into places a CVN can't, and the locals might barely notice the increase in population (with the exception of a few places that have very small populations).

So basically, you can hit a bar without it being overcrowded with squids. You can also see real sights without every seaman schmuckatelli getting into your way, whether it's a temple in Japan or some creepy guy wrestling a crocodile in Australia.

The Pacific ocean is sort of a backwater place, as withroaj alluded to. Aside from Japan, Australia, and New Zealand, most of east Asia, Micronesia, and Oceana are underdeveloped. You will find things in places like Thailand or Maylasia that you normally only read about in a National Geographic...whether it's foods, cultural habits, or societal moral differences. Certain laws and behaviors that are taboo in Western society are the norms in some of these places. Just about all of the "bad" things attributed to sailors comes from serving in the Pacific. It's the place where all the "sea stories" come from. But, if you are into seeing and doing things that few ever can, it's a good way to go.

And yes, all the stories about Australia are either true, or only slightly exaggerated.  ;)

Offline TJ Nuke

• Light User
« Reply #27 on: Jan 22, 2009, 06:03 »
Did it.  All Pacific except Pearl, then Georgia.  If I read this discussion correctly I guess that means there is a pretty good chance I'm going to Groton or Norfolk, or target.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #28 on: Jan 22, 2009, 06:15 »
Did it.  All Pacific except Pearl, then Georgia.  If I read this discussion correctly I guess that means there is a pretty good chance I'm going to Groton or Norfolk, or target.

Now you're learning!!! ;)
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #29 on: Jan 23, 2009, 08:18 »

You could go to the GW out of Japan. ;)

Offline TJ Nuke

• Light User
« Reply #30 on: Jan 23, 2009, 10:09 »
GW was 1st choice of targets.  Does that, on top of my sub choices mean I'm going to the east coast for sure?

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #31 on: Jan 23, 2009, 10:53 »
Hmmm.......

I have got it.  You will be going to <opens hermatically sealed envelope> A cruiser out of Guam????? ??? ??? ??? ???  How does that work, maybe I forgot to carry the one. :-\
« Last Edit: Jan 23, 2009, 12:19 by Preciousblue1965 »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?