Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Dream Sheet 2 - from a sub vol perspective

Author Topic: Dream Sheet 2 - from a sub vol perspective  (Read 17441 times)

Offline TJ Nuke

• Light User
Dream Sheet 2 - from a sub vol perspective
« on: Dec 31, 2008, 04:12 »
I know this is an old topic, but since even the Navy changes sometimes, it would be helpful to make sure the information is current.

When are dream sheets currently filled out during  prototype?

If not planning to be a 6 and out, would it be better to request an SSBN (SSGN) or SSN to begin with?

Will it be better to experience both eventually?

If MM2 can be earned by end of prototype does that make a difference?

From what I have read, it appears that it may be better to Star after first actual fleet experience.  Is it better to go into the sub as an E-5 even if it requires Star reenlistment, or is a nub a nub no matter the rank?

withroaj

Re: Dream Sheet 2 - from a sub vol perspective
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2009, 01:11 »
It would probably be better to request whatever you want.  You'll get sent where you're needed, be it a SSN, SSBN/GN or a CVN.  Just have a good time with it wherever you go.  I was on a SSN for a couple of years (probably the best SSN a guy could go to) and I recently reported to a CVN.  The job is pretty much the same both places.

I'd recommend against STAR reenlistment (unless you go for Junior Staff Instructor out of prototype -- then you'll have to STAR).  Given enough time you'll make E5 off of the exam, and then the reenlistment money is significantly better E5 vs E4.  You'll probably have some working experience by that time and will know whether you actually want to tack more years onto your contract.

Offline TJ Nuke

• Light User
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2009, 04:07 »
How do I decide which I want? 

My first impression was to request SSN (partially based on recruiter input - he was an SSN nuke), but after talking to others I'm not so sure now.  No spouse, no dependents so the predictability of SSBN is not as important to my situtation.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2009, 04:14 »
Where are you in the pipeline at present?

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2009, 04:53 »
How do I decide which I want? 

My first impression was to request SSN (partially based on recruiter input - he was an SSN nuke), but after talking to others I'm not so sure now.  No spouse, no dependents so the predictability of SSBN is not as important to my situtation.

If you want to "see the world" visit Europe and the Middle East go to a East Coast SSN or CVN.
If you want the kind of sea stories you don't tell in polite company go to a west coast SSN.
If you want to pull in anywhere outside the united states or canada don't go to a SSBN.
Both SSBNs and CVNs tend to have more predictable schedules.

note: I have never known anyone from a SSGN so I have no input in that regard

Offline TJ Nuke

• Light User
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2009, 07:35 »
HydroDave63,  soon to start prototype.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2009, 08:43 »
Be a man and go fast attack.

Justin

Offline TJ Nuke

• Light User
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2009, 10:38 »
Thanks for the information, including the PM's.  Still not sure where to start (well where to end), but I guess there isn't any hope of getting there - unless the Navy changes the system and lets each nuke coming out of prototype look at all the then available openings and make a choice (fat chance).

At least I know I don't want to be a target.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2009, 10:50 »
Thanks for the information, including the PM's.  Still not sure where to start (well where to end), but I guess there isn't any hope of getting there - unless the Navy changes the system and lets each nuke coming out of prototype look at all the then available openings and make a choice (fat chance).

At least I know I don't want to be a target.

You could still end up on a target.....

They took the majority of the MMs and ETs from my class, regardless of whether or not they volunteered for subs, and sent us for initial manning of CVN-73. 

Remember......needs of the navy usually trump all else.
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline TJ Nuke

• Light User
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2009, 11:55 »
You'll note I said I didn't WANT to be a target.

I know Navy wants/needs come first.

Moparmaniac

« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2009, 02:38 »
You'll note I said I didn't WANT to be a target.

I know Navy wants/needs come first.

Looked to me like tjnuke was acknowledging the truth of what gamecock said.  Way to repeat what everytone else already said there 'comb.
« Last Edit: Jan 02, 2009, 02:38 by Moparmaniac »

Offline TJ Nuke

• Light User
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2009, 03:00 »
Adapting to the needs of the Navy is a part of doing your best and getting the most out of the experience, even if it means being a target.

As far as doing well in A school and power school, that has been well handled.  I hope the same holds true for prototype.  That way it should be easier to get what I want, whatever that turns out to be (part of the reason for asking the questions in the first place).

DSO

« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2009, 04:33 »
I asked to "not" get based in Groton and not go on a SSN or New construction unit--give me anthing thats left--I got PCU-SSN-752 out of Groton, Ct. Now what does that tell ya? :D

Offline goobs22xx

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #13 on: Jan 03, 2009, 08:55 »
...Junior Staff Instructor out of prototype -- then you'll have to STAR...

Nope, you just sign a page 13 saying you'll either STAR or extend to have a guaranteed 36 months at a sea going command.

I could've done a 6 month extension and hit three years on a boat. In retrospect, probably would've been smart to go that route.

Offline shehane

• Moderate User
  • You never know, do you?
« Reply #14 on: Jan 05, 2009, 02:54 »
I wanted an assignment out of Charleston, SC when I was leaving prototype.  I put a carrier out of Norfolk for number one and fast boat out of Groton for number two.  I ended up with ELT school and a tender in Charleston.  I was a sub volunteer so when I ended my time on the tender I called and requested a carrier out of Norfolk.  They gave me a boomer out of Charleston.  Not sure how it is supposed to work but that is what worked for me.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be! Dirk Gently

Offline TJ Nuke

• Light User
« Reply #15 on: Jan 05, 2009, 03:25 »
So let me get this straight.

If I want a boomer out of Kings Bay, I request a carrier in Japan.

If I want a fast attack out of Pearl, I request any east coast boomer.

On the subject of ELT, I have had very good grades, but my interests tend toward engineering, math and physic, not chemistry.  I am sure by the time I am done with prototype I will be more interested in proceeding to the fleet rather than another 3 months of chemistry.  I assume ELT is more about memorizing than understanding, which is my dislike for chemistry.  Even welding school sounds more interesting than ELT.  Although it probably isn't a skill I will need outside the Navy, unless I'm involved is some sort of quality control.  I know knowledge is always a good thing, but....  I'm looking forward more to doing outside a school or a lab (before you all jump on this - I understand sub quals aren't exactly "Join the Navy, See the World").

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #16 on: Jan 05, 2009, 05:05 »
I bet if you say east coast fast attack your odds of getting it will be good. Other than that, the odds are more heavily in the house's favor (although they always are).

Justin

Offline Harley Rider

• Moderate User
« Reply #17 on: Jan 05, 2009, 06:53 »
From what I have read, it appears that it may be better to Star after first actual fleet experience. 

Don't ever reenlist until you have 18 months of actual sea time and can see what it's all about. If you want to bust your butt, live in 3 section duty and build long lasting camaraderie and brotherhood go SSN. If you want 4-6 section duty and actually see your family every once in a while (in port) and additionally see the world a bit more go CVN. Food is better too I don't care what the bubbleheads say I know better. Either can be rewarding choices for you if you have the right attitude. Be cool and be safe!
Despite inflation, a penny is still a fair price for the thoughts of many people

Wirebiter

« Reply #18 on: Jan 06, 2009, 10:31 »
TJ why did you join the Navy? 

Travel?  College?  Boredom?  Your answer should go  long way in helping you decide what to put.

Placing nukes is not as simple as filling a billet left empty by someone else.  Your class standings and grades get put into the mix.  Basically they don't want to send all the smart people to one ship/boat.  The Navy has to spread the wealth  :)

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #19 on: Jan 07, 2009, 09:01 »
Placing nukes is not as simple as filling a billet left empty by someone else.  Your class standings and grades get put into the mix.  Basically they don't want to send all the smart people to one ship/boat.  The Navy has to spread the wealth  :)

Oh heck.  You gonna have DW jumping up and down over that one :D
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

Offline TJ Nuke

• Light User
« Reply #20 on: Jan 07, 2009, 12:04 »
Wirebiter,
     For knowledge and experience.  If the Navy is a reasonable fit, the Navy will have to decide when retirement is best.  If not, the private sector should be a good option when the the enlistment runs out. 
« Last Edit: Jan 07, 2009, 12:05 by TJ Nuke »

Wirebiter

« Reply #21 on: Jan 10, 2009, 12:14 »
Wirebiter,
     For knowledge and experience.  If the Navy is a reasonable fit, the Navy will have to decide when retirement is best.  If not, the private sector should be a good option when the the enlistment runs out. 

In that case, I would recommend SSN.  I did tours on both a SSN and a SSBN.  You will learn more about your job/rate while on a SSN if for no other reason then simply being there more often :).  SSBN/SSGN will only keep you engaged for 2/3 of your sea tour.  If you are in it for the knowledge and XP, then why not get as much as you can.  As for the floating billets, I can't speak on those.  I only spent 4 days underway on the Truman.  Not long enough to get a feel for the life.

Good luck! and may you get what you wish for...............

Keln

« Reply #22 on: Jan 10, 2009, 12:58 »
If you want to "see the world" visit Europe and the Middle East go to a East Coast SSN or CVN.
If you want the kind of sea stories you don't tell in polite company go to a west coast SSN.
If you want to pull in anywhere outside the united states or canada don't go to a SSBN.

Haha...so true.

When I was in, we were all told that if you put in for a Carrier, you will get it and if you put in for a fast boat out of Hawai'i you will get it. I and two other guys in my prototype class put down ssn out of pearl as #1. The rest of the guys, as far as I know, put down everything in-between. Of us three that put ssn out of pearl, all three of us got it. The rest of those yahoos, with a few exceptions, ended up split between two CVNs.

Now, my personal feelings about ssn's having been a sailor on one is basically that is was cool for all of a week, and after that it was hell in a steel tube. A buddy of mine ended up (somehow, it's still not clear HOW) getting transferred from our ssn to a cvn after being on our boat for 2 years. When I saw him again, he wouldn't shut up about how much greater it was on a cvn, and how he can't imagine ever being on a ssn again.

I don't know if I would enjoy a CVN much, but I can sure agree with his sentiments about an ssn. Basically, try to overlook the "coolness" factor when you consider what you want, because that'll wear off pretty quickly when you get to your boat (even though, yeah, the navy will decide ultimately where you will go).

imthehoopa

« Reply #23 on: Jan 11, 2009, 07:37 »

I'm intrigued. As of now that is where I would like to end up. Anyone care to elaborate?

withroaj

« Reply #24 on: Jan 11, 2009, 07:43 »

I'm intrigued. As of now that is where I would like to end up. Anyone care to elaborate?

It goes with the saying "poverty makes for great liberty."  On a West Coast fast-attack you will get to visit some, er, charming backwater locations like Guam and Saipan.  Not a lot of money in those areas that doesn't come from U.S. military.  The locals know that submariners pull in from weeks with nothing but other stinky men, and that they appreciate the sights, smells and... other things about young ladies on stage.

These backwater locales also host many, how do I put it, massage parlors on the main drag.  I'd recommend saving your money and trying to actually see the sights (get SCUBA certified) instead of having your deployment memories be nothing more than a drunken blur and a chat with the corpsman.
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2009, 07:46 by withroaj »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?