Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Baby Nuke Feeling Jaded...

Author Topic: Baby Nuke Feeling Jaded...  (Read 53033 times)

Offline deltarho

• An EOOW asked during his S/Y steam plant testing pre-watch tour, "Shouldn't those scram breakers be open?" K-thunk, K-thunk. "Uh-oh!"
  • Heavy User
  • I make alpha particle "direct delivery" systems.
Re: Baby Nuke Feeling Jaded...
« Reply #25 on: Jan 05, 2009, 08:42 »
ELT's are known to be very debonair and display an abundance of dash and daring do.

Daring do? Oh, I thought that was Dippity-do. Dippity-do was a hair gel, usually applied before rolling hair in curlers. Sometimes it was used to smooth down bangs or fly-away hairs. Its translucent pink appearance, unique smell and gelatinous consistency conjure up memories of childhood in the 50s and 60s. Regular Dippity-do was translucent pink; Extra Holding Dippity-do was translucent green and was described as “for body...easier setting.”
The above has nothing to do with any real  or imagined person(s).  Moreover, any referenced biped(s) simulating real or imagined persons--with a pulse or not--is coincidental, as far as you know.

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #26 on: Jan 05, 2009, 09:42 »
Daring do? Oh, I thought that was Dippity-do. Dippity-do was a hair gel, usually applied before rolling hair in curlers. Sometimes it was used to smooth down bangs or fly-away hairs. Its translucent pink appearance, unique smell and gelatinous consistency conjure up memories of childhood in the 50s and 60s. Regular Dippity-do was translucent pink; Extra Holding Dippity-do was translucent green and was described as “for body...easier setting.”

Actual phrase is "derring-do" see http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/derring-do

If you know that much about "dippety-do", you must have been an ET...way too "metro" for MM/ELT... ;)
« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2009, 07:49 by HouseDad »
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline Pirate Bob

• Light User
« Reply #27 on: Jan 06, 2009, 08:52 »
Well, I can't say much more than what everyone else has said.  I joined in my mid-twenties, and am not married.  I was CL in A-school and MA in Power School (passed over for two former Army guys that went green to blue  :'().  I just got to my ship, so if you have any questions about being a female in P-type or a really really new NUB on the ship...lemme know.  PM me or something.  And don't let those ba$t@rds get you down.  You are better than all of that.  Hope you had a good year.

PS.  D@MN!  You had the grades I wanted to have.  You'll do fine.

Offline deltarho

• An EOOW asked during his S/Y steam plant testing pre-watch tour, "Shouldn't those scram breakers be open?" K-thunk, K-thunk. "Uh-oh!"
  • Heavy User
« Reply #28 on: Jan 08, 2009, 03:56 »
Actual phrase is "derring-do" see http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/derring-do

If you know that much about "dippety-do", you must have been an ET...way to "metro" for MM/ELT... ;)

Check out Broadzilla's post, I copied his "Daring do" and meant to correct him as you did me, but I forgot from all my excitement about talking about Dippety-do! ;) Seriously, as an aside, I went 4 months in ET "A" school (8017C) without a haircut thanks to dippety-do and Brylcreem. I had hair well over the bottom of my ears when I went off-base in civilian clothes.  My military ID was always second guessed in Kenosha when I was carded, which had to be backed up with my Florida driver's liscence.  I finally got busted by the Master at Arms in the Galley when I was eating MidRats. He spot frisked people for taking food to the barracks and asked me to remove my utility cover.  You should have seen the coffee squirt out of his nostrils when he saw me reluctantly remove it.

Bryl-creem, a little dab'll do ya,
Use more, only if you dare,
But watch out,
The gals will all pursue ya,--
They'll love to put their fingers through your hair.
Bryl-creem, you'll look so debonair.
Bryl-creem, the gals will all pursue ya,
They'll love to RUN their fingers through your hair

Oh, now there I go again.  I cannot help my ex-ET self.
The above has nothing to do with any real  or imagined person(s).  Moreover, any referenced biped(s) simulating real or imagined persons--with a pulse or not--is coincidental, as far as you know.

Offline deltarho

• Heavy User
« Reply #29 on: Jan 08, 2009, 04:04 »
Check out Broadzilla's post, I copied his "Daring do" and meant to correct him as you did me, but I forgot from all my excitement about talking about Dippety-do! ;) Seriously, as an aside, I went 4 months in ET "A" school (8017C) without a haircut thanks to dippety-do and Brylcreem. I had hair well over the bottom of my ears when I went off-base in civilian clothes.  My military ID was always second guessed in Kenosha when I was carded, which had to be backed up with my Florida driver's liscence.  I finally got busted by the Master at Arms in the Galley when I was eating MidRats. He spot frisked people for taking food to the barracks and asked me to remove my utility cover.  You should have seen the coffee squirt out of his nostrils when he saw me reluctantly remove it.

Use more, only if you dare,
But watch out,
The gals will all pursue ya,--
They'll love to put their fingers through your hair.
Bryl-creem, you'll look so debonair.
Bryl-creem, the gals will all pursue ya,
They'll love to RUN their fingers through your hair

Oh, now there I go again.  I cannot help my ex-ET self.

I had to come back and edit my original post. I was so excited by Brylcreem that I forgot to point out that you wrote "to metro" instead of "too metro". I am on record and out of the closet, so to speak. I have freely admitted in other posts that I was an ET--and worse yet...a wearer of the color khaki :o
« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2009, 04:25 by HoneyComb »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #30 on: Jan 08, 2009, 02:19 »
Oh, now there I go again.  I cannot help my ex-ET self. I had to come back and edit my original post. I was so excited by Brylcreem that I forgot to point out that you wrote "to metro" instead of "too metro". I am on record and out of the closet, so to speak. I have freely admitted in other posts that I was an ET--and worse yet...a wearer of the color khaki

I always wondered why he remembered Bucky the Shellback Queen ;)

Keln

« Reply #31 on: Jan 08, 2009, 03:38 »
...there is no such thing as a bad experience. 

Er...you were never on a sub were ya?  ;)

Wirebiter

« Reply #32 on: Jan 10, 2009, 12:25 »
Er...you were never on a sub were ya?  ;)

Yeah, only 7.5 years though.  I prefer to grade my experiences in factors of "how much did I learn from doing that?"

Volunteering for sparkle team as a nub-----learning factor of 10 and hence, never repeated

having just .....one......more......shot before we have to leave for the rx start-up-----learning factor of 1, repeated too often   ;D

Offline deltarho

• Heavy User
« Reply #33 on: Jan 10, 2009, 12:34 »
I always wondered why he remembered Bucky the Shellback Queen ;)

Forever etched in my mind ::); although, it was way better than seeing "Fingerhead" in a dress...

Keln

« Reply #34 on: Jan 10, 2009, 01:02 »
Yeah, only 7.5 years though.  I prefer to grade my experiences in factors of "how much did I learn from doing that?"

Well...you can learn alot in prison too...like when and how to take a shower safely. I think that could be construed as a "bad experience".

Hmm...you have to learn when and how to take a shower safely in a sub too come to think of it...

8)

Offline TJ Nuke

• Light User
« Reply #35 on: Jan 10, 2009, 01:37 »
Is it as dangerous on a sub to drop the soap?

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
« Reply #36 on: Jan 10, 2009, 04:18 »
Absolutely it is, because you will probably bang your had within your 2.5 x 2.5 foot of space allocated for you to reach your parts if you are not careful.

Also, if your sub decided to take an angle or suddenly change course you might be off balanced and could fall over.

Furthermore, dropping the soap makes additional noise which is bad for any submarine.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #37 on: Jan 10, 2009, 06:22 »
Is it as dangerous on a sub to drop the soap?

The showers are private closets on subs, If you want the thrill of communal baths you will have to go to prison, a San Fransico steam bath or the surface fleet.

Keln

« Reply #38 on: Jan 10, 2009, 09:14 »
yeah, when they start taking a good angle, all you can do is press your hands against the sides of the stall and hope you stay upright. This while there's soapy water all over the floor of course.

::)

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
« Reply #39 on: Jan 11, 2009, 12:40 »
I remember taking a shower during angles and dangles, it was freaking awesome.  It was own personal fun house.

withroaj

« Reply #40 on: Jan 11, 2009, 01:00 »
I remember taking a shower during angles and dangles, it was freaking awesome.  It was own personal fun house.

As long as you shut off the water when it stops going down the drain...  I remember my foot slipping off a shower shoe and developing athlete's foot within a half hour.  Good thing we kept a few cans of tough actin' Tinactin in the Snacky locker in ERF.  Leftover NH4OH also does a decent job of sterilizing shoes.  ;D

cleonard19

« Reply #41 on: Jan 13, 2009, 04:35 »

I believe that age and gender have nothing to do with a person's professional capability, work ethic, or maturity level.  Unfortunately a lot goes on here to fuel the sterotype fires, rather than put them out.  The age range is limited here, there are many people with little/no life experience, and we are all crammed into a very small space together for very long periods of time.  It's a veritable recipe for disaster.  And in my case, jaded-ness.

The average age our our power school class is well over 21. It may be younger down the hall in MM land, but for the most part, our class is over the military average enlisted age. Just tossing that out there...

And yes, there are people here who perpetuate the stereotype, especially when it comes to fuel to add to the rate bashing fire, but there's also a lot more... socially well adapted people in our class than other classes.

I think your views may be jaded by your immediate surroundings than anything else, and should possibly try stepping out from your normal social circles, that's all.

Keln

« Reply #42 on: Jan 13, 2009, 06:35 »
Where do you nubs get the time to post here? Shouldn't you be studying or something?  ;)

Ah, there were no internets in nnps when I was there. And everyone was a mando-commando until proven intelligent.

I was the 4-star general of the mando-commandos. They just turned the lights off and left me a candle at the end of the day since I was on 168-24's.  :'(

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #43 on: Jan 13, 2009, 06:59 »
And everyone was a mando-commando until proven intelligent.

Ahhh.....the good old days!

I was right there with you.

My whole class started on Mando 30......

People like myself who had poor NFAS performance started on Mando-Structured 35.
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline Harley Rider

• Moderate User
« Reply #44 on: Jan 13, 2009, 09:48 »
Time to play TAPs on this thread,,,lol
Despite inflation, a penny is still a fair price for the thoughts of many people

Offline AFT21

• Light User
« Reply #45 on: Jan 20, 2009, 04:40 »
Well, I'm kind of late to this thread, but I thought I'd bring it back on topic by throwing in my thoughts on to SPU or not to SPU.  I will soon be exiting the Navy after a SPU tour in NY followed by 4 years on a fast boat.  Looking back, the only reason that I would not change what I've done is the people I met while doing it.  When I got to my ship I was greeted by one of the almost SPU's from my class.  Within a few months of my arrival, he was qualifying EWS and taking on the duties of MLPO.  Meanwhile I was just working to once again fight off the title NUB.  He got to see what life at sea was like before making a reenlistment decision, and decided he wanted to be the SNOB instead.  (if you've reenlisted you're not elegible for SNOB, but that shouldn't be something you base this decision on)  He got out at six years with all of the resume experience that I will have getting out at eight, he just got a two year headstart on me.

To sum up, I would say that it's your first sea tour that is going to give you the experience that you're going to need; in the Navy or out of it.  SPU just delays that experience, and therefore prolongs that NUB feeling.

MM1/SS

Keln, I also have a learning factor of 1 - it's one more pint though

M1Ark

« Reply #46 on: Feb 09, 2009, 12:03 »
nice job of contradicting yourself and proving the system all in one paragraph,...

nice philosophy,.....

and yet in the very next sentence you attribute your jadedness to the downfalls of people with a "limited age range",....

stop blaming others and own your problems, since you're obviously bright enough and adaptive enough to get through the program and be selected for leadership roles suck it up and do the job you said you'd do, navy nuke is a cake walk compared to children with cancer, withering parents, debilitated spouses or any of the other little gems life may have in store for you,...

if nothing else navy nuke will give you a leg up in a career which will allow you to afford a better standard of living and better benefits than many others must settle for during later lifetrials, you gotta pay your dues sometime and somewhere, get 'er done shipwreck and happy new year!?!?!?

Lighten up! Who made you the boss of her?

M1Ark

« Reply #47 on: Feb 09, 2009, 12:17 »
ELT's are known to be very debonair and display an abundance of dash and daring do.

Come on, Mike.  You can't get anyone to believe that.

Motown homey

« Reply #48 on: Feb 10, 2009, 08:07 »
Come on, Mike.  You can't get anyone to believe that.

Why not - it's true.

byroneduardo

« Reply #49 on: Feb 11, 2009, 04:20 »
I think having a bell at NNPTC like in buds would be ok only if the outcome was get your job switched to one of undesignated striker jobs.  too much loss through medical at school during my time there, not nearly as much academic attrition. 

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?