NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu STA-21

Author Topic: STA-21  (Read 4724 times)

Offline tbrokamp

• Lurker
STA-21
« on: Jan 07, 2009, 12:51 »
Quick STA-21 question:
If you're in the middle of NPS when you get accepted into STA-21, do they let you finish NPS?  What about NPTU?  After you're through with college, do you have to go through the officer side of nuke school?
Thanks ahead of time!

T

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
Re: STA-21
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2009, 07:07 »
You may or may not finish NPS dependent upon when college classes start.  And yes, you have to go back through NPS.
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Offline tbrokamp

• Lurker
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2009, 08:18 »
Thank you!

Also, to anyone reading this, this site rocks for anyone about to go into the nuclear program.  I found it when I first became interested in the program back in May.  If I ever had a question about anything nuke related, this was the first place I searched, and it was always here, and it was never in that wishy-washy form of an answer that my recruiter always seemed to use.  Thanks a million.

I DEPed back in July, and I leave in the middle of February.  It's gonna be cold!

Keln

« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2009, 09:04 »
mmm...to go through Great Lakes in winter again or NPS again...which is worse?

Both make me shiver.  ;)

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2009, 09:30 »
To clarify my previous reply, you only have to go back through NPS/NPTU if you decide to remain a nuke.  If you find out you're interested in the intelligence community or some other part of big Navy, you don't necessarily have to come back through the nuclear pipeline.
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Offline Harley Rider

• Moderate User
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2009, 11:40 »
I jumped off a bus in Great Mistakes on February 13 1985. I found myself waist deep in snow with people yelling at me in both ears. I remember telling myself that I had made a grievous error in judgement. To this day I have never been so cold in my life. Good luck with that. Explore all your opportunities before diving into the Nuke Officer field. They get paid a lot of money (bonuses) but man is it a miserable existence for most. Look at the retention rates for Nuke Officers and you will see my point. Good luck and stay warm.
Despite inflation, a penny is still a fair price for the thoughts of many people

Wirebiter

« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2009, 12:02 »
To clarify my previous reply, you only have to go back through NPS/NPTU if you decide to remain a nuke.  If you find out you're interested in the intelligence community or some other part of big Navy, you don't necessarily have to come back through the nuclear pipeline.

If he gets picked up while in the pipeline, it will more than likely be for nuke officer.  Just saying, statistically, thats all.

TBRO,

There are only two classes convening for NSI  (Naval Science Institute).  99% of nukes go to the first one, which starts in February.  You will/should find out the STA-21 results in October.  So if you are in, say A-school, and can finish before mid January, then you complete it.  They just won't let you class up for Power school or move on to P-type if you are not going to finish it before you leave.  This was/is an issue for some people as part of their enlistment bonus is contingent on them completing P-type.  There were several baby nukes in my NSI class who were pulled from NPTU before they collected some cash. 
You may find yourself on hold for 3 or 4 months while you wait for NSI orders.

Good look with your application!

135i

« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2009, 05:07 »
I was in great lakes from Jan. 2nd - Mar. 3rd and I was too hot more often than I was cold. They will keep you very warm with all the clothes they make you wear.

You need a pretty solid package to get accepted to STA-21 while you're in NPS. Good grades in college, excellent grades at NPS, no police involvement and be able to impress the interview board.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?