Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu International Career Search

Author Topic: International Career Search  (Read 3202 times)

kungfupflanzer

International Career Search
« on: Jan 10, 2009, 04:52 »
First off, I'd like to say, this website is amazing, I've spent quite a few hours surfing around already. My EAOS is in May, and I have nearly 60 days available to use for terminal leave, short-timers syndrome has kicked in, and I am searching for jobs. My wife is very smart and keen on the issues facing America today (i.e. the economy, recession, job security) and is very concerned with the fact that I am looking at opportunities outside the Navy. It is hard to convince her that everything I've heard about job opportunities, job security and financial security is more than just youthful optimism, and that the Navy has, indeed, paved the way to a successful career. This forum has been very helpful confirming everything I've tried to explain to her in regards to all of this. Thank you.

Okay, on to my question... I have used the search tool extensively to see if there's a post asking the same question, but have found very little. I apologize if I've overlooked the answers I'm looking for.

I am very interested in opportunities to work abroad. I remember hearing about the excellent jobs available in France to ex-Navy nukes, and have been dreaming of working internationally ever since. I've spent hours searching for a resource that would allow me to contact or apply for a job at a Nuclear facility in the U.K. or Europe, but once again, I have found very little.

Today I found, on this site, a link to the Nuclear Decomissioning Authority (http://www.nda.gov.uk) and from there found Nuclear Graduates (http://www.nucleargraduates.com/). Anybody have experience or know anything about this group? The website made the program seem very appealing, and I have sent an email asking for more information. The only problem I see is that it seems geared towards college graduates and I am still 27 credits from my BSAST w/. Nuclear specialty from Excelsior College.

Anyway, I'm just looking for a foot in the door, a resource, or a contact that would allow me to start applying for jobs in foreign countries. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time, and for an amazing website. Seems like a great community of knowledge and experience.

I could list  my qualifications if that would be relevant, but I picture Chris Farley replying "Whoop-dee-freaking-dooo!"... Let's just say I'm a nuke MM, went to Steam Plant Maintenance Supervisor school, and have spent the last 2 years recruiting (*shudder*). Sorry for the essay.

Offline Harley Rider

• Moderate User
Re: International Career Search
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2009, 05:49 »
Have you qualified PPWS/PPWO? If not the other side of the water will not look at you. Had a good friend (retired ETCM) that got a SRO class (now licensed) in England because he was an enlisted PPWO in the Navy. If you don't have a degree (that counts) or at least a PPWS qualification with at least 2 years standing watch then I would not even consider moving your family overseas. That is what we call a pipe dream. BTW how is your French? Be safe
Despite inflation, a penny is still a fair price for the thoughts of many people

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?