Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Chance to get in Nuke Program With Low GPA
honeypot

Author Topic: Chance to get in Nuke Program With Low GPA  (Read 11972 times)

alexd

Chance to get in Nuke Program With Low GPA
« on: Jan 14, 2009, 04:12 »
Hey guys,

I am new to this forum and hopefully you guys can help me out answering these questions regarding Nuclear Trained Officer selection process:

1. I am out of school for 4 years now and I have 3.5 years of engineering work experience and EIT certification under my belt . However, my undergrad GPA was 2.4. Do I stand a chance to get into the program with such low GPA?

2. If question 1 answer is "No" then what do I need to do to get in?

3. Do you think a PE license will offset my low GPA?

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
Re: Chance to get in Nuke Program With Low GPA
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2009, 08:41 »
Hey guys,

I am new to this forum and hopefully you guys can help me out answering these questions regarding Nuclear Trained Officer selection process:

1. I am out of school for 4 years now and I have 3.5 years of engineering work experience and EIT certification under my belt . However, my undergrad GPA was 2.4. Do I stand a chance to get into the program with such low GPA?

2. If question 1 answer is "No" then what do I need to do to get in?

3. Do you think a PE license will offset my low GPA?

As far along as you are in your engineering career, why would you want to do the military? With the PE, you will be highly valued almost anywhere, don't need the military for experience or training....
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Khak-Hater

« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2009, 09:32 »
The answer might be a desire to serve your country.  I'm pretty sure that's why I served.  I work with a lot of middle-aged engineers who, having chased the money in their youth, express some remorse at never having served.  It's good that you're thinking about it before you're too old or tied down.  I promise you that it will suck, but it may very well be one of the best experiences of your life.  Go for it.

I'm no expert on how to become a Navy Zero (i.e., an "O" rank).  If you're concerned about your GPA, then you might try getting a graduate degree.  GPAs in grad school tend to be much higher.  Plus, now that you have some real work experience, you'll be more focused on your work, thereby resulting in higher grades.  Otherwise, I'll let the Navy Zero experts on the forum give you more useful advice. 

Finally, if you just want to serve your country, you could look into being a Zero in the Army or Marines (e.g., infantry, armor, or combat engineers).  I know a lot of guys who took that route who work in the nuke field as managers. 

Good luck,

MGM 

alexd

« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2009, 12:18 »
Khak Hater is right!

I just want to serve my country and gain nuclear experience. However, I don't want to apply Grad school at this point due to financial and personal issues. Is it possible for me to get in the program will low GPA at this point? Any help will be appreciated.

By the way what is a "Zero" ?
« Last Edit: Jan 14, 2009, 12:21 by alexd »

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2009, 12:37 »
A WWII vintage Japanese fighter plane?

Or, maybe an Officer - sometimes called O-ganger (thus 'Zero' to people not in that particular fraternity.)
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2009, 01:34 »
RDT you're correct, this is the correct response.

Yeah, I knew that, but I liked my first answer better... for the first half of my life I thought my real name was Wiseass.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Harley Rider

• Moderate User
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2009, 11:05 »
Be careful what you wish for because you just might get it. Good Luck and be cool
Despite inflation, a penny is still a fair price for the thoughts of many people

alexd

« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2009, 12:46 »
Hey Harley Rider,

What do you mean by that comments? Is Navy Nuclear Officer that bad? It seems like people are avoiding this career. Now I am thinking I should avoid signing up.
« Last Edit: Jan 15, 2009, 12:47 by alexd »

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2009, 06:24 »
As with all jobs, there are good things....

and bad things....

Have you considered trying to go surface nuke?
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline Harley Rider

• Moderate User
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2009, 08:51 »
Hey Harley Rider,

What do you mean by that comments? Is Navy Nuclear Officer that bad? It seems like people are avoiding this career. Now I am thinking I should avoid signing up.

Let me answer your original question first. Yes, I think you have a good chance of getting into the program with your current credentials regardless of your low GPA. As to your second question, Yes these days I think it is that bad however it will provide you with very marketable skills and pay very well (relatively speaking),,,however:
I spent 24 years in the Navy watching Officers being driven into the ground by the organization. The first term retention rates for navy nuclear officers is atrociously low and normally the reason is that they are being led by some CHENG / RO / XO / CO tyrant who cares nothing more than what can I do for myself today. Make sure you weigh all your options before you jump. The Navy can be very rewarding career (it was for me) but you need to have the right attitude. Remember these are my opinions only and I'm sure you will find many on here that will disagree with me. Be safe
Despite inflation, a penny is still a fair price for the thoughts of many people

Offline Harley Rider

• Moderate User
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2009, 09:01 »
Nothing worth doing is easy,....

My sentiments exactly.

Offline AFT21

• Light User
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2009, 05:20 »
No matter how bad things ever got on my submarine, every Chief and LPO could always look at the Engineering Junior Officers and say to himself "at least I don't have his job".
I've talked to senior enlisted off other boats and they all agree.
The army has a program to fly helicopters as a warrent officer.  I think you only need an associates.  If you want to serve your country, go shoot some terrorists.  Spying on your trading partners isn't everybody's idea of serving your country.

MM1/SS

S3GLMS

« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2009, 05:43 »
From Experience, You would need to like Camp Eagle in ROK (Korea) every 18 months or Fort Campbell ,Kentucky as stateside duty as a Warrant officer Army Helicopter Pilot.  Still a good Job, but not always very Glamorous in the assignments.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?