Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NNPTC & NPTU, Nukes With Nukes, Marriage & Children

Author Topic: NNPTC & NPTU, Nukes With Nukes, Marriage & Children  (Read 22647 times)

mizzyung

Hello ALL!!!

I'm Currently in the Charleston area (been through the training pipeline), been affiliated with NWS, NNPTC and NPTU for a little over two years, mediaclly discharged now, husband is an instructor and always get a lot of questions about it down here NOW. From what I've heard, back in the day was VERY, VERY different. Mainly questions about the subject, but I'm open to finding answers to all questions some may have, be it from newcomers or the veterans of this pipeline wanting to know what they've done and do with this program down here.

I'm usually on everyday, and usually bored but I don't want to be like a lot of military wives and end up unproductive, fat, lazy and unfaithful so any questions are welcome, and I'm not one who's afraid to admit if I don't know the answer so I wont give you the run around.

Look Forward to hearing from you all...PeAcE

« Last Edit: Feb 15, 2009, 09:58 by MiZZ_YuNg »

mizzyung

Re: NNPTC & NPTU, Nukes With Nukes, Marriage & Children
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2009, 06:29 »
Yeah, I come from a Army/Navy family and it seemed growing up that they just got bigger and bigger. Now i feel left out a lot of times because I don't have the weight challenge that's usually the topic of discussion in groups of wives and I avoid input because I don't want to hut anybody's feelings...LoL.

voidwhereprohibited

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 12:34 »
I have found pretty general information regarding NUC training and families that include a spouse and children, but nothing that really elaborates on the subject. I am enlisting NF and was wondering how the housing situation usually works for families during training. I have spoken with my recruiter and have only gotten a very general answer as well. I understand that any "A" school or training that is longer than six months qualifies as PCS, but here are some of the questions that I had:

1) Do families move down at the start of training or is there a certain amount of time the sailor has to get settled into school?

2) During training, do families typically stay in base housing or receive BAH?

3) Are there a large number of enlisted nukes who enter into the program with spouses and children?

I am currently waiting on a grade waiver for my high school grades, but my college grades are solid and I scored a 96 AFQT/260 NUC score & 74 NAPT so I'm confident the waiver won't be an issue. My wife and I are excited for the decision that we've made and are eager to get started. We are trying to prepare ourselves by learning everything we can about the program and lifestyle before we move across country. The forums at nukeworker have been great. Thank you for all of your help.

James

AskewDivergent

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 03:11 »
This information came to me (as a nuke coordinator) directly from the Indoctrination coordinator at NFAS:

Important Information for NFAS Married Personnel
Prior to their arrival at NNPTC
(Do not move your spouse to the area until YOU have reported to NFAS)

•   The goal of the NNPTC Charleston NFAS Indoctrination Office is to assist the newly arriving married students in every aspect of relocating their spouse and household goods to the Charleston area.  We assist hundreds of married students each year in this endeavor, and are very proficient in the most effective methods to accomplish this task.

•   In order to go smoothly, this process must be handled in a specific manner.  The student’s spouse must remain patient and supportive to their Sailor. 

•   We ask that spouses do not take any initiatives on their own other than beginning the process of packing up their goods and waiting for their Sailor to contact them from NNPTC.

•   If there are ANY questions regarding married student processes at NNPTC Charleston, the member or their spouse can feel free to call us at 843-574-8033 Monday-Friday, 0700-1600 EST, BEFORE any decisions are made regarding their move or travel to the area.  We are here to answer your questions and help you make plans.

Note: travel costs home are at the married student’s expense. A credit/debit card must be used for payment in most cases.

•   General sequence of events:

   Sailor graduates from RTC, arrives at NNPTC and is issued a BEQ room
   Married Sailors pick out a house on the first Monday following their arrival
   On Tuesday, the Sailor will attend a moving brief to set up a DITY move or a Navy move (depending on their financial situation)
   Wednesday: go on leave for a Do IT Yourself move
   Sailors are given one day of travel for every 350miles they have to drive from Charleston, SC plus two extra days.
   NOTE:  Exceptions can be made.  We recognize that each situation is different and that some special circumstances exist.

We are looking forward to your arrival!

- NNPTC Indoctrination Coordinator

Don't be like one guy they had a while back who had his wife living in an apartment in North Chas while he was in boot camp. I did notice quite a bit of married nukes going through the pipeline, and due to the age requirements, most of them are under 25. So tell your wife she will probably meet some new friends and have someone to hang out with while you're studying.

voidwhereprohibited

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 03:24 »
Thanks for the response; that was exactly the information I was looking for. We're lucky to have some good friends that live in Charleston already, but I'm sure that my wife will have some comfort in knowing that there will be other people our age going through the same situation.

Offline goobs22xx

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 12:10 »
1) Do families move down at the start of training or is there a certain amount of time the sailor has to get settled into school?

2) During training, do families typically stay in base housing or receive BAH?

3) Are there a large number of enlisted nukes who enter into the program with spouses and children?

If I recall correctly, they put you in housing and the option to move out in town is never presented. I don't know the rules associated with how much of that can be controlled, but I'm sure you could just ask. You also move your spouse down right away as was discussed in the earlier post.

My wife moved up here while I was in A-School. We've been in housing ever since then. It's not a lot, but is certainly adequate for the two of us and our two children. We are accumulating lots of crap due to being here so long (I'm a Staff Pickup Instructor now) that I'm starting to run out of room for, but I'm sure that would be the case regardless of where I lived.

As far as married/parents coming into the Nuke program, it seems to vary based on the time of year when you enlist. You can definitely distinguish the classes that were sent to RTC in May/June/July straight out of high school from the ones with guys who screwed around in college or tried different avenues of life first (which are typically sent to Boot in the Winter months). My class (a winter one) had several married couples of which a few had children. In my Prototype class/crew of 9 Mechanics, only 2 of them weren't married. My current group of students at Prototype consists of 10 mechanics who are all under 21. There are lots of failed "engagements" with that group (those of you who have taught here know what I mean). It really is seasonal.

Most people choose Housing just due to convenience. I had a couple of friends that are/were SPUs who have bought houses. Some have chosen to rent out in town. I guess it's your preference. Living 10 minutes from work has been a blessing and my wife and I aren't picky. We were 19 with a two year old when I enlisted, so we were just stoked to have a roof over our heads.

Anyway, if you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

voidwhereprohibited

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 03:38 »
If I recall correctly, they put you in housing and the option to move out in town is never presented. I don't know the rules associated with how much of that can be controlled, but I'm sure you could just ask.

I read in one forum discussion that married NNPTC students have recently been required to live in base housing; however, I have seen a mix of answers regarding this subject. The issue in that thread was that the Navy wanted to be able to keep a closer eye on the married NNPTC students. It is probably the case that the NAVY no longer allows married students to live off base, but I will call and find out as soon as my waiver is approved (hopefully by the end of this week). If I get a solid answer, I'll post it on here.

One thing I am concerned about base housing is if civilian visitors are allowed overnight, or if that having guests over is a privilege that has to be earned by completing training. I do not really plan on having much time with guests, but it would be unfortunate if my wife could not have friends or family visit while I'm on such a tight schedule.

I've been reading the forums to gather all of the pros and cons of on and off base housing, just in case we have the option.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 03:46 »
I read in one forum discussion that married NNPTC students have recently been required to live in base housing; however, I have seen a mix of answers regarding this subject. The issue in that thread was that the Navy wanted to be able to keep a closer eye on the married NNPTC students. It is probably the case that the NAVY no longer allows married students to live off base, but I will call and find out as soon as my waiver is approved (hopefully by the end of this week). If I get a solid answer, I'll post it on here.

One thing I am concerned about base housing is if civilian visitors are allowed overnight, or if that having guests over is a privilege that has to be earned by completing training. I do not really plan on having much time with guests, but it would be unfortunate if my wife could not have friends or family visit while I'm on such a tight schedule.

I've been reading the forums to gather all of the pros and cons of on and off base housing, just in case we have the option.

NNPTC has no say on  whether or not you have guests in your base house. 
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline goobs22xx

• Moderate User
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 10:49 »

Enlisted housing isn't actually gated off. Technically your visitors should swing by the guard shack and get a visitor's pass but I don't think I've actually ever heard of that being enforced. The Officer's housing is behind a security post and would require the pass, however.

No one is going to say that you cannot have people over.

And as to whether NNPTC disallows you living in town, like I said earlier, the option was just never presented to us. Because Housing is now privatized and you are receiving BAH (which is deducted in full from your paycheck should you live in Housing) I could see you having the option of living in town if you wanted to force the issue enough. E-3 BAH is pretty pathetic though, so I wouldn't recommend it. My wife and I have done just fine in housing for the 3 years we've been here. Being close to work is very nice and since Housing has been privatized the service you get from the repairs department is a lot better. Hell, they even mow my yard and spray for bugs. We got our refrigerator replaced last month when our old one had problems.

It's functional and low maintenance. That's all you need, really. You won't have time to worry about much other than what you're told to worry about :D.

voidwhereprohibited

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 03:26 »
Because Housing is now privatized and you are receiving BAH (which is deducted in full from your paycheck should you live in Housing) 

Does privatized military housing still include utilities (particularly electric) as government military housing would; or do the service members have to pay that out of pocket?

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 03:49 »
Your "rent" covers "normal" use of utilities.  If there is use above the "normal" you would be liable to pay for the overuse.  So don't try to refrigerate SC and you should be fine.
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

AskewDivergent

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 11:36 »
I remember in Pearl Harbor when the privatized took over, they took a year's worth of data for a baseline for utilities usage, then determined the average usage. Supposedly anything above that you were required to cover the difference, but I don't remember anything coming out from that. My buddy who lived down the street ran one of those "portable" hot tubs on his patio year round without having to pay any extra, and I'm sure those things sucked a lot of juice.

Offline goobs22xx

• Moderate User
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 09:19 »
Does privatized military housing still include utilities (particularly electric) as government military housing would; or do the service members have to pay that out of pocket?

At NWS Charleston, they're tearing down and rebuilding all of the units. I don't know if there is any truth to the claim, but my neighbor said that they are installing meters in the new houses and plan to start charging for utilities.

I've never paid anything extra, and that includes the nine months of my pregnant wife keeping the thermostat at 62 in the middle of the winter....ugh. The only thing that could've made that more miserable would've been having to pay for it.

navynukeprincess

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2009, 11:43 »
Living out in town is not an option for you and your family until you complete A-School and Power School.  I only know one married student who lived off base through A-School and Power School, and that was only because he and his wife had plunked down like 20K and bought a house in the area before he even arrived here from Basic.

Once you graduate Power School, you can move and live wherever you want.  I'm about a month into Prototype down here in SC and my hubs and I didn't even consider moving out of base housing.  While it is a drag knowing that your $1138/month BAH is paying for a house that would probably rent for half that price out in town, there is a convience factor to consider.  Water, trash, electric, etc. are all included in your rent, which you don't even have to worry about paying because it comes right out of your check.  The maintenance office mows your lawn for you weekly.  Base security is always driving up and down the streets, and they crack down pretty quickly on anybody who is trying to solicit door-to-door (big no-no on base).

Housing is also nice because many of the people you will become friends with will live right down the street from you.  Additionally, with a child, it would probably be cheaper for you to live on base anyways (I heard they generate a lot of extra utility usage lol).  The NEX, the commissary (grocery store), the gas station, the post office, the gym, the library, etc. are all within walking distance.

They are moving people into the new housing units, which are gorgeous, but I'm not sure if you would be given a new house right off the bat upon arrival or not.

Hope that helps.  If you have more questions you can PM me or shoot me an e-mail at navynukeprincess@yahoo.com.

P.S. - What the other guy said about you arriving here is true.  You will only be here a few days before leaving to go home and move your family down here, and you will not start A-School until your family is moved down here first.  They pretty much help you out with everything you need to do to get them moved and settled.

LaviniaSkies

« Reply #14 on: Jun 24, 2009, 06:15 »
I'm usually on everyday, and usually bored but I don't want to be like a lot of military wives and end up unproductive, fat, lazy and unfaithful

Yeah, I come from a Army/Navy family and it seemed growing up that they just got bigger and bigger. Now i feel left out a lot of times because I don't have the weight challenge that's usually the topic of discussion in groups of wives and I avoid input because I don't want to hut anybody's feelings...LoL.

There is side to me that kind of hopes that you do indeed become all these things you "don't want to be" just so you won't have to worry about hurting "anybody's feelings" anymore......

calhoun1

« Reply #15 on: Jun 24, 2009, 09:17 »
I just classed up at SC NPTU, for 'A' school and NPS I was living out in town.  My wife signed the lease while I was in boot camp.  There is nothing saying you must live in housing.  They will try to yell at you threateningly about getting to work on time, etc. But as long as you are responsible and get to work on time it isn't an issue.

I am glad I live out in town, as a nuke, I will probably be back here at some point, and now my wife and I have civilian friends who will still be here when we get stationed here again.  Of course there is something to be said about a short commute to school.

ravenuke

« Reply #16 on: Jul 15, 2009, 04:34 »
Hello everyone.  I've been looking through all of these posts and on several other threads constantly since I discovered this site a few weeks ago.  I leave for basic in November and can't wait.  From all that I have read, this seems like a life worth working very hard towards.
The question that I have is about taking my wife with me to Charleston.  The only thing that I have been able to find is not specific enough. 
If I go to A school as a MM, since it is only 14 weeks long, will she be able to come with me or will she have to wait untill I start power school?  I know that this is very early and that I should be worried about basic and being able to make it through all of this, but any of you that are married may be able to simpothize with me.
I don't plan on becoming an MM, but I would still like to keep my bases covered and be able to give her an answer that none of my chain of command have been able to give me.  Other than you will be able to find out when it happens.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #17 on: Jul 15, 2009, 09:11 »
The only thing that I have been able to find is not specific enough. 

Reply #4 of the thread gave directions and phone numbers.

ravenuke

« Reply #18 on: Jul 16, 2009, 01:49 »

Reply #4 of the thread gave directions and phone numbers.

Thank you very much.  I called and everything was cleared up for me.  I can't thank everyone at this forum enough for all of the information that I have read and will read in the future.

Offline KUrunner

• Moderate User
« Reply #19 on: Oct 27, 2009, 02:54 »
Living out in town is not an option for you and your family until you complete A-School and Power School. 

I realize this is an older thread, but I wanted to correct this information. 

You can live off base as soon as you arrive in Goose Creek, no matter in which part of the pipeline you are.  You just have to check in with the housing office first.  I moved here in May while my husband was in A school and we were presented the option to live off base.  Most of his married classmates live off base (in power school now). 

Comparable housing is MUCH cheaper in town (even counting utilities) but the traffic to get onto base in the morning is terrible.
The first rule of thermodynamics is you don't talk about thermodynamics.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?