Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Naval Reactor Engineers out there?

Author Topic: Naval Reactor Engineers out there?  (Read 2829 times)

cm

Naval Reactor Engineers out there?
« on: Feb 15, 2009, 03:09 »
Hello,

I've been looking into the Naval Reactors Engineer program. But I haven't found the info I want, even though I looked through some old threads and talked to recruiters. I'd really like to talk to someone who's gone through the program. Maybe someone could PM me. 

I recently graduated with a BS in mathematics  ~ 3.9 GPA. I have also taken many science classes and couple of engineering classes. My design skills are pretty good as I am able to draft manually or with CAD software, program in C and use mathematical analysis software.

What does each part of the training entail...

- OIS (5 wks) - (OIS was the only one I was able to find good info on)
- DNR OJT (4-5 months)
- Land-based prototype (2 wks)
- Reactor Design Study at Bettis Reactor Engineer School (6 months)

Some of my Questions on the Program are...

How close does the training come to a masters degree?
What's the course load like in school - how many classes at a time, class descriptions, ect....
What sort of interviews are required and when do they happen?
What's the job like after training?
How much design and research is actually done by NR officers?

I'm not rushing into anything right now. I am also looking into other options (including grad school, government and civilian work and other military options). I don't want to end up in a position that is not going to challenge me (in a good way). That would not be an ideal situation for me or the Navy.

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
Re: Naval Reactor Engineers out there?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2009, 04:06 »
Talk with Gamecock, and if you have other questions, PM me.
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Offline NukeNTO

• Moderate User
Re: Naval Reactor Engineers out there?
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2009, 04:10 »
If you send me a PM I believe I can put you in touch directly with someone currently at NR as a junior officer (what you'd be if you joined). 

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?