Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Overcrowded SC Ptype?
honeypot

Author Topic: Overcrowded SC Ptype?  (Read 15651 times)

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Re: Overcrowded SC Ptype?
« Reply #25 on: Jul 26, 2009, 02:57 »
I'd imagine that next fiscal year will hold another 90k fire sale on nuke bonuses, and that the retention goals will still be met. 

I'll wager 100 quatloos ( or a warm, glazed buttery Johnson's Cinnamon Rollâ„¢ ) that decom staffing aside, that the rampdown on Bldg. 65 staffing gets built in, therefore bonuses prolly go back to the 40-60k top as seen years earlier. Some attrition is good.

Offline Wanna Know Mom

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #26 on: Jul 26, 2009, 03:51 »
On a side note here....what percent (and what mix of skills/experience) of the nuke staff stays with a ship when it is decommissioned? 
Kathy VPNNM

Offline Tha Hippo

• Very Lite User
« Reply #27 on: Jul 27, 2009, 09:46 »
well i am definately not a slack ass as you are all saying. I work very hard. I have put in way more hours than demanded from me since A school. I have gotten great evols and have shown out among my piers to my superiors. I am very well known in the command and if you ask anyone they will say I am definately earning my paycheck. All im saying is that i would like some direction in my navy career as to when I get out I can get a well paying job. Im not even saying it has to be at a power plant. I plan on being EWS qualified and earning my degree using my GI bill and also getting credits while in the service. Just on hold I earned 12 credits so I never stop working. As far as the quality of training we get it has not went down in the least. Just in my power school class we lost 60 people and 10 out of my A school class due to academics. I ask instructors all the time if the program is easier before and all of them tell me that it is the exact same material just that the instructors are better trained and more involved

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #28 on: Jul 27, 2009, 10:08 »
I have gotten great evols and have shown out among my piers to my superiors.

You may have a promising career amongst your piers   :P 

"I'll have the Mahi Mahi, and the lady will have a Shrimp Newburg..."
« Last Edit: Jul 27, 2009, 10:10 by HydroDave63 »

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #29 on: Jul 27, 2009, 11:08 »
well i am definately not a slack ass as you are all saying. I work very hard. I have put in way more hours than demanded from me since A school. I have gotten great evols and have shown out among my piers to my superiors. I am very well known in the command and if you ask anyone they will say I am definately earning my paycheck. All im saying is that i would like some direction in my navy career as to when I get out I can get a well paying job. Im not even saying it has to be at a power plant. I plan on being EWS qualified and earning my degree using my GI bill and also getting credits while in the service. Just on hold I earned 12 credits so I never stop working. As far as the quality of training we get it has not went down in the least. Just in my power school class we lost 60 people and 10 out of my A school class due to academics. I ask instructors all the time if the program is easier before and all of them tell me that it is the exact same material just that the instructors are better trained and more involved

I never said you were a slack ass.  ;)

You will be fine.

6 and out FTW!  8)

Justin

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #30 on: Jul 27, 2009, 11:23 »

No offense but do you really think that the instructors are REALLY going to tell you the truth on that matter?  All you have to do is simply find anywhere that Navy Nukes post in large numbers and you are going to hear 900 examples of how the course is easier now for very one that says it is harder or the same.  Yea you may have lost 60 our of power school but that is out of how many?  300? 400? I fully support you ambitious nature in what you plan on doing with your career.  However every good nuke always has a plan B and Plan C for when Plan A doesnt' work.  Sometimes those plans will fall apart due in no part to your own effort.  Sometimes timing is just really really crappy and there is no way around it.  I was set to start EWS quals at NPTU, but had to wait for several months because we kept getting new people in that went into EWS quals directly due to being EWS/PPWS qual'd on their ships/boats.  So by the time I got in, it was almost a full year later and only had 8 months left after I qual'd.  That is also about the time I tore up my knee so I never really stood the watch. 

In Summary, ensure that you have a plan B/C, don't take everything that a Staff Member says at face value when you are asking as a student about the standards of the program, and ensure that you use the correct versions of homophones, since they jump out in text form whereas they might go unnoticed in spoken language. 

Last but not least......

BCF(Be Cool Fool, Mr. T circa 1980s)
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

NHOY

« Reply #31 on: Jul 28, 2009, 07:57 »
I ask instructors all the time if the program is easier before and all of them tell me that it is the exact same material just that the instructors are better trained and more involved

I just recently transfered from NFAS and as a former Instructor I can tell you that the program is much easier than before.  There is only one fact that I need, even though there are many, to prove this.  That is the fact that attrition is only 5%-6%, and when a section's attrition increases over that goal the ability to drop someone out of the section becomes near impossible.  It is good that you have goals to succeed but I will say that it will be very hard for you to be a good nuke while getting your degree at sea and pursuing EWS all at the same time.  It is not impossible but depending on the boat and the associated schedule it might be close.  6 years and out or 30 years and out it really doesn't matter as long as you do your best to be the best and realize that your goals can and will change.  But all in all good luck to you, I hope that you do achieve all that you want to in this program.

Offline goobs22xx

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #32 on: Aug 02, 2009, 04:55 »
As far as the quality of training we get it has not went down in the least.

You really have no idea what you're commenting about here.

I ask instructors all the time if the program is easier before and all of them tell me that it is the exact same material just that the instructors are better trained and more involved

I wouldn't believe anyone based on their direct answer to this question.

You can, however, talk to people about their training experiences and find out how vastly different the climate at Prototype is now than a decade ago.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?