Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NPS Instructor honeypot

Author Topic: NPS Instructor  (Read 4899 times)

navygirl

NPS Instructor
« on: Mar 02, 2009, 11:17 »
Hello all!  I am new to this forum, but am trying to get as much info as I can.
I am currently in college (again) and am majoring in Physics.  I was previously considering becoming a Physics teacher, because the economy has forced me to do a lat move from my previous career.
I am also prior service.  I was air-wing and honorably discharged.  I came across a site that had some info for the NUPOC program and really became interested in the NPS instructor option (mostly because of the age waiver).  Provided I qualify for the waiver, I would still be within the age limit at the time of graduation.
I already read a lot of the other posts, looking for the answers to my questions, so I know that being an instructor would not give me any experience necessary to get a job as a civilian in any kind of nuclear capacity.  I am really good at being able to help people understand things, so I am quite okay with the instructor position.
My big question is what actually qualifies as a good reason for an age waiver?  Also, besides speaking with a recruiter, is there any other way for me to find out the Navy's current need for instructors?
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  And I do apologize for the running-on.

andrew.pigg

Re: NPS Instructor
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2009, 08:49 »
Why not go the route of DIO/ODS??

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2009, 06:41 »
Why not go the route of DIO/ODS??

:-\ That is what she is asking about :-\
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline nquinn

• Very Lite User
« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2009, 10:40 »
NukeNTO is going to be your best bet. Get it straight from the horse's mouth. But this here's a good website. They have the quotas (though they aren't always up-to-date), all the study info you'll need to prep for your interview, and the dates for the Instructor VIP trips.

http://www.nupocinfo.blogspot.com/

Remember though, NukeNTO will still be your best source.

Quinn

Offline NukeNTO

• Moderate User
« Reply #4 on: Mar 11, 2009, 11:53 »
Sorry it took so long to see this post.  I usually check the "getting in" area and forget about this spot. 
When do you graduate?  We almost always have a need for instructors.  We hire approximately 25 a year and it is usually the last nuke position to fill up. 

Why do you assume it won't put you in a position to work at a civilian plant?  I know several former instructors who work at civilian plants in the training and engineering departments.  I wouldn't recommend you try to jump into ops right out of power school, but there are other jobs at commercial plants. 

Regarding the age waiver; you don't need to justify it, that's our job and your prior service is reason enough. 
I hope this helps, if you have any more questions or need help getting in touch with a recruiter send me a PM I'd be happy to help. 

Good luck! 

Offline jams723

• Moderate User
« Reply #5 on: Mar 29, 2009, 11:51 »
With the need for commercial trainers, your NPS training experience would get you looked at by the commercial plants.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?