Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Texas Ops?

Author Topic: Texas Ops?  (Read 4011 times)

pbajeff

Texas Ops?
« on: Mar 03, 2009, 05:27 »
Question for any of you guys out there - especially if from Texas.

I am a chemical plant operator with 28 years experience last 10 as Lead control Room operator - (basically shift supervisor role).
I have pretty much worked every aspect of this type of operation, but nothing to do with nuclear or power generation..

We have just recently shut this plant down and are currently in the process of cleaning up the facility for demo thanks to new plant in China.

Long story short - I am out of job come April and was looking into the nuclear field. I see that Luminant is starting a training session in July and I have sent in a resume for that.

Are there suggestions as to what else should I do?   
Are there other avenues I should consider?

Also I have seen that there are some on-line places that offer courses such as Associates of Applied Science in Nuclear Technology. With what college work I have from back in the day I should be able to get credit for gen ed classes and just concentrate on the related courses.
Is that a recommended option?
If so are there some places that are better than others?

Any tips/advice are appreciated.
« Last Edit: Mar 03, 2009, 06:06 by pbajeff »

ls13

Re: Texas Ops?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2009, 11:36 »

We have just recently shut this plant down and are currently in the process of cleaning up the facility for demo thanks to new plant in China.

Jeez! Is this thing happening in this field too????????

BoilerHP

« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2009, 05:39 »
No... kind of hard to outsource power that far. Keep in mind the U.S. is trying to become more energy dependent.

pbajeff

« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2009, 09:08 »
I think this is the direction you are starting to see a lot of the chemical industry go.

How smart a move will it of been when a few years down the road they pull a Chavez on the chemical companies?

Cathy

« Reply #4 on: Mar 06, 2009, 08:59 »

I am a chemical plant operator with 28 years experience last 10 as Lead control Room operator - (basically shift supervisor role).
I have pretty much worked every aspect of this type of operation, but nothing to do with nuclear or power generation..

Long story short - I am out of job come April and was looking into the nuclear field. I see that Luminant is starting a training session in July and I have sent in a resume for that.

Are there suggestions as to what else should I do?   
Are there other avenues I should consider?

Also I have seen that there are some on-line places that offer courses such as Associates of Applied Science in Nuclear Technology. With what college work I have from back in the day I should be able to get credit for gen ed classes and just concentrate on the related courses.
Is that a recommended option?
If so are there some places that are better than others?

Any tips/advice are appreciated.
Have you been called for an interview yet? Follow up to make sure they got your resume if not. I believe we have 2 classes currently going on. I know they have been hiring operators here. Good luck! If you have any questions about Luminant drop me an email. I like working for them in radiation protection.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?