Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Nuke After Master's Degree in MechE honeypot

Author Topic: Nuke After Master's Degree in MechE  (Read 9520 times)

Vibes

Nuke After Master's Degree in MechE
« on: Mar 10, 2009, 11:43 »
First of all I'd like to thank you for contributing to this website.  I was delighted to find such a wealth of knowledge and advice.  Second, my motivation for starting this new thread was that in my searches, I could not find another on this site pertaining to my situation.  Most people are looking to enter the Navy after high school or earning a bachelor's degree, not a master's.  If you know of any relevant threads, let me know and I'll check them out.

As for my background, I'm currently working on my Master's Degree in Mechanical Engineering with a concentration in Structural Dynamics (Vibrations and Modal Analysis).  If all goes according to plan, I'll have my thesis done and graduate May 2010 at the age of 25.  My GPA is decent:  3.5 UG / 3.4 Grad.  Also, I'm in good shape (lifting 4-5 days a week, plus cardio).  I have good references from the faculty due to my extracurricular leadership roles and former employers (summer internships) such as Textron Defense Systems and Los Alamos National Labs.  Also, the research I'm conducting for my thesis is being funded by the Army.  In short, I'm not too worried about qualifying for the Nuke program, so enough blowing my own horn...

My (main) dilemma is this:  I have been considering joining the Navy since high school for number of reasons but I'm not sure if the skills I've gained up to this point would be put to better use serving my country in a "civilian" research environment (such as NAVSEA, NAVAIR, etc) or with a defense contractor (GD-Electric Boat, Portsmouth Naval Yard, etc).  Mostly, my draw to the military stems from the respect and admiration that I hold for those who serve and the desire to hold myself in the same regard.  On the other hand, I'd remain in the civilian world where I'd (theoretically) apply the technical knowledge I've been amassing all my life rather than changing disciplines within the engineering fields.

I have a family history of service in the Navy (2 uncles and both grandfathers) and Coast Guard. I also have a strong affinity for the water and ships in general.  These factors are the main reasons I'm looking at the Navy, specifically.  Going Nuke seems to be the next natural step in this progression due to its high technical demands.

I was hoping to get some candid responses from complete strangers who have little vested interest in me.  I say "little" because either way I'm going to have an impact on Naval operations to some extent.  It seems that anyone I know personally cannot give me an unbiased (relative to their feelings towards me) opinion as to which way I should go.  Furthermore, assuming that I enter into the Nuke program, where do you think I would be placed (line officer, instructor, research) given my background?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Offline DLGN25

• Moderate User
Re: Nuke After Master's Degree in MechE
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11, 2009, 11:21 »
If you are looking for a career, the Navy is not a bad way to go.  Keep in mind that the Navy decides where you go.  Sure you can volunteer for career paths, like aviation, nuclear power, subs, and such, but you are still there to serve the needs of the service.  A Naval Line Officer is a generalist (other then pilots), the heavy technical skills reside in the enlisted ranks.   As a line officer in nuclear power, you will be trained as an operating engineer, in the position of a watch officer.  A watch officer is usually an E-7 and above and of course an officer.  (although I have seen a senior E-6 qualify as an engineering watch officer).  In addition to standing watches, you will have leadership responsibility within engineering, as a division officer, or some position under a division officer. 

The Navy will look to your education only as it relates to your qualification as a line officer.  Once accepted into the officer corps, you go where they need you.  As a junior officer, instructor, or researcher roles are not in the cards (unless you were specifically recruited for skills you offer).

In closing,  whether as an officer or enlisted, you will not be using the engineering skills and knowledges you have acquired.  This will be true whether you go into nuclear power or just go where the Navy sends you.

So, if you are going the career path in the Navy, other then to become an officer, your education does not matter.  If you only desire to do one hitch, your education will not matter, and you will be 4 to 6 years behind in your chosen field.  The plus is you will have gained leadership and management skills.

You have a lot invested in your field of study, so instead of a full time commitment to the Navy, you may want to look at the Naval Reserve (an eight year commitment) as an option.
Surely oak and three-fold brass surrounded his heart who first trusted a frail vessel to a merciless ocean.  Horace

Offline still_in

• Light User
« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2009, 08:15 »

In closing,  whether as an officer or enlisted, you will not be using the engineering skills and knowledges you have acquired.  This will be true whether you go into nuclear power or just go where the Navy sends you.

This is not entirely true.  I'm assuming that DLGN25 is meaning that you will not be designing and modifying equipment for the plant, but your engineering talents/knowledge will be more that useful when trouble shooting problems on the equipment.  The tech. manuals can't solve every problem.  I'm graduate in May with a BS in ME and I have 7 years of enlisted service as a Nuke MM so I've gotten a feel for both the Navy and ME.  If you want to design I wouldn't do the Navy deal but its your call.

Good Luck

Offline G-reg

• Heavy User
  • C'mere and chum some of this...
« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2009, 07:37 »
If you want to design I wouldn't do the Navy...

Very true.  Joining the Navy will change your major from "Engineering" to "Service to your country".  There will be engineering aspects to your job, but there will also be duty days, underways, long hours, and missed anniversaries/birthdays in the name of defending our way of life.  If your number one goal is to put on a uniform and serve your country on the pointy end of the spear, then by all means sign up.  (I'd recommend that you go Officer vs. Enlisted, for whatever my humble opinion is worth.)  Just understand that you won't exactly be working as an ME in the Navy.

If you want to serve your country AND work as an ME, then then there are many civilian jobs that will take you where you want to go.  Look into Bettis and KAPL if nuclear is your thing.  Or Lockheed Martin might be worth looking into if you aren't drooling about getting into the nuclear field.  Serving those who serve (by making sure that they have the best equipment & materials possible out there on the front line) is a very honorable thing.

Hope this helps you out...

- Greg
"But that's just my opinion - I could be wrong."
  -  Dennis Miller

Vibes

« Reply #4 on: Mar 16, 2009, 12:20 »
Hey all.

I'm almost certain now I'm going to remain a civilian.  There aren't a whole lot of people with my skill set looking to work in defense, so I think I'll better support our military by developing new technologies.

Again, thanks for the info.

Chris

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #5 on: Mar 16, 2009, 02:40 »

I'm almost certain now I'm going to remain a civilian.  There aren't a whole lot of people with my skill set

As opposed to those Morlocks in the engineering spaces....don't wave that scary bright torch at us  :P

ranger2

« Reply #6 on: Apr 05, 2009, 10:12 »
As opposed to those Morlocks in the engineering spaces....don't wave that scary bright torch at us  :P

Laughed my a$$ off. That just struck me as funny.

Donte9235

« Reply #7 on: Apr 08, 2009, 07:44 »
Good choice, I'd say you are simply WAY too overqualified...

Fermi2

« Reply #8 on: Apr 08, 2009, 09:49 »
That looks my Control Room Staff leaving after night shift!

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #9 on: Apr 09, 2009, 05:55 »
Actually being in the middle of an outage that looks more like the people leaving the plant at 0630 after night shit day 6
Being adept at being adaptable I look forward to every new challenge!

Fermi2

« Reply #10 on: Apr 09, 2009, 07:31 »
Chief Rob,

Which is currently the shift we're on. Day something or other of a refueling outage.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #11 on: Apr 09, 2009, 08:26 »

Or some of the grid operators and marketers at Midwest ISO ..... lol

PAULTHEVOL

« Reply #12 on: Apr 09, 2009, 05:11 »

Or some of the grid operators and marketers at Midwest ISO ..... lol

Yikes !!   Are those the creatures from the original"The Time Machine"movie?

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #13 on: Apr 09, 2009, 06:33 »
Yikes !!   Are those the creatures from the original"The Time Machine"movie?

The ONLY "Time Machine" movie...the new remake was total PC crap.

They most closely resemble some of the night shift folks at the shipyard years ago ;)

On-topic: Did vibes find a defense R&D spot? I know that MDA is looking pretty hard in several locations

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?