Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Officer vs Enlisted (school) honeypot

Author Topic: Officer vs Enlisted (school)  (Read 29959 times)

NUKECOMER101

Officer vs Enlisted (school)
« on: Mar 25, 2009, 10:13 »
I am in school to be a Mechanical Engineer, I am going on my VIP trip to Jacksonville FL. at the end of April. I have spent several hours reading threads from this site and have found many of them useful. However, I still have a few questions that me and my fiancé are confused about.First question, What is the difference between A-school, and power school?

From what I have gathered, The pipeline is both A-school and power school. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Now are these schools what I would be going through as an officer in the NUPOC program? Are they the same schools that an Enlisted recruit would go through?

If not, how do they differ?

During these schools will my fiancé be able to move with me to SC after OCS?

I have read that I would go to OCS for 12 weeks then off to a school for Nuclear theory for 6 months, then to a school for on the job training with Nuclear Reactors for 6 months, Is this a realistic timeline or is there more school involved?

I strongly believe I will pass any school I attend, but what happens if I don’t? At that point I will have already agreed and signed up for 5 years, so what happens then? Will  I be kicked out of the Navy and have to repay anything the Navy has given  to me while I’m in college?

I will greatly appreciate any input.

NUKECOMER101

Re: Officer vs Enlisted (school)
« Reply #1 on: Mar 25, 2009, 11:12 »
Thanks for the link, however my questions are still unanswered. This seems to be the trend, my officer recruiter has given me a website as well. I have actively done my research and still come up short.

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #2 on: Mar 26, 2009, 05:25 »
I'll answer what I can.

First question, What is the difference between A-school, and power school?

NFAS does two basic things. (This applies to enlisted only)
A. It teaches basics of your in rate trade (MM, EM, ET) 
B. It prepares you for Nuclear Power School.  NFAS

From what I have gathered, The pipeline is both A-school and power school. Please correct me if I am wrong.

The pipeline is NFAS, NNPS, and NPTU.  Officers attend NNPS and NPTU only.  If they're sub vols, they'll go to Sub School in Groton, CT prior to their first boat.

Now are these schools what I would be going through as an officer in the NUPOC program? Are they the same schools that an Enlisted recruit would go through?

If not, how do they differ?

As an officer candidate, you'll attend O-NNPS and NPTU.  The enlisted pipeline assumes a high school education so starts teaching at that level.  Officer pipeline teaches at a level of college grads.

During these schools will my fiancé be able to move with me to SC after OCS?
Yes

I have read that I would go to OCS for 12 weeks then off to a school for Nuclear theory for 6 months, then to a school for on the job training with Nuclear Reactors for 6 months, Is this a realistic timeline or is there more school involved?
Depends on what specific officer program you're in.  This is a good generalization, but one of the other guys are more qualified to answer that question.

I strongly believe I will pass any school I attend, but what happens if I don’t? At that point I will have already agreed and signed up for 5 years, so what happens then? Will  I be kicked out of the Navy and have to repay anything the Navy has given  to me while I’m in college?

You'll owe the Navy time.  If you flunk out, you generally get assigned a billet based on your abilities and, more importantly, needs of the Navy.  This could include a trip to Afghanistan or Iraq.  Again, one of the other guys is more qualified to answer.

The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

InLuvWithRecruit

« Reply #3 on: Mar 26, 2009, 07:30 »
DDMurray that was helpful! Thanks very much for taking the time. Me and my fiance are trying to educate ourselves on the navy lingo, esp regarding nuke school (after OCS). He hasn't signed anything yet...

Samabby

« Reply #4 on: Mar 26, 2009, 09:22 »
As a future Naval officer, your writing skills will be under constant evaluation - both formal and informally. Make it " my lady & I " .

Yes, it really is that important.  8)

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #5 on: Mar 26, 2009, 09:58 »
You may have already looked here; http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,12646.0.html or knowing Honeycomb it's probably in your PM inbox.  Not having been smart enough to have seized the opportunity to serve I go to that thread constantly to try to figure out what some of these guys are saying.  :P 

Thanks in advance for your service also. 

Tom
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Offline NukeNTO

• Moderate User
« Reply #6 on: Mar 26, 2009, 12:29 »
I do the same job as the guys who are going to be leading your VIP trip in April except I cover the western half of the US.  If you have any more questions feel free to send me a PM or post them. 

Don't forget to ask lots of questions on the trip, the point of the VIP is to let you see the work environment and answer your questions so if you don't ask then it was a waste. 

Par234

« Reply #7 on: Mar 26, 2009, 03:18 »
Hi all....i'm new on the board.  I actually found a lot of information from the discussions on the Facebook Nuke Page.  Navy Nukes are actually the ones that answer the questions and give information to those of us that are interested.  I guess it could just be another place to take look.  http://www.facebook.com/pages/US-Navy-Nuclear-Propulsion/32780060687?ref=ts

Good Luck!

Offline NukeNTO

• Moderate User
« Reply #8 on: Mar 27, 2009, 12:55 »
Jason,

Don't sweat it.  In hindsight it was a poor choice of username seeing how active NukeLDO is.  I can see it being confusing. 

Dustin

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
« Reply #9 on: Mar 27, 2009, 08:43 »
Well, I answered questions via PM, but referred to NukeNTO for the most up to date info on NUPOC.
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

InLuvWithRecruit

« Reply #10 on: Mar 30, 2009, 03:37 »
I just want to thank the guys who have responded to this thread or my Pm's. All of you have been extremely helpful with my questions. Looks like I am going to MEPS this Friday to get that out of the way before my interview. I'm guessing I will be doing this to speed up the process. I really need to know if I will be accepted into the program by May, So we are shooting for my interview in May.

Anyway, I had just a few more questions to add. I have read and heard a lot about power school. I was wondering what the pass/fail rate was over this past year? I know it has differed over the years past. I have also read threads about how its not what it use to be. So, I am asking, hoping for a more year to date response. However, I am also open to listen to anybody else's experience with power school as well.

Also, should I be accepted into this program and pass all my schools. About how much radiation would I be exposed to each month if I end up on a submarine? or a lifetime (20+)

Thanks guys, all of you have been extremely helpful so far.

Ryan

InLuvWithRecruit

« Reply #11 on: Mar 30, 2009, 03:39 »
Just realized I was logged in under My Lady's username. LOL

The Above thread was from NUKECOMER101
oops

BuddyThePug

« Reply #12 on: Mar 30, 2009, 03:59 »
About how much radiation would I be exposed to each month if I end up on a submarine? or a lifetime (20+)

Less than smoking 1 pack a day

Offline NukeNTO

• Moderate User
« Reply #13 on: Mar 30, 2009, 04:20 »
Ryan,

Regarding going to MEPS prior to your interview....that's normal.  To be invited you need to be screened academically (by NRC and Naval Reactors) AND you need to be screened physically (by N3M) to make sure you're eligible to recieve a commission. 

I'm not sure what the current pass rate at power school is, but rest assured that it is very high.  I'd bet a paycheck >95%, they'll get you whatever help they need to in order for you to pass.  My class was 93/95 and the two failures were going to work for Bettis not the Navy. 

Don't worry about the radiation as stated it's pretty insignificant compared to many other events people don't think twice about. 

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #14 on: Mar 30, 2009, 04:48 »
Don't worry about the radiation as stated it's pretty insignificant compared to many other events people don't think twice about. 

At sea you will probably receive less than normal background, sea water makes good shielding from mother nature. At sea normally only the ELTs receive detectable dose, well many moons ago on the 637s and I suspect that it is still true for the newer class of boats.

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
« Reply #15 on: Mar 30, 2009, 07:01 »
22+ years and I haven't even hit the 2 Rem mark....granted I was a prior electrician, not an ELT, but I'm in reactor compartments a minimum of 3 days a week for 20 mins to 1 hour in my current job.  Dose rates are extremely low, and outside the secondary shield, almost negligible.
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

InLuvWithRecruit

« Reply #16 on: Mar 31, 2009, 03:58 »
For the record, I've tried the search engine. Assuming Ryan is selected for the NUPOC program... After his interview with the admiral, how long will he have to review the contract before he signs anything? Is there a copy available to read prior to the interview? Basically, I'd like to review the contract myself. Is that possible? In all reality, if he commits to the navy and I commit to him... well you get my point. I've read the threads regarding relationships. I've lost some sleep b/c of this forum :)  On a side note, is the life of an officer's wife different than that of an enlisted's wife?

Offline vagabond

• Light User
« Reply #17 on: Mar 31, 2009, 04:47 »
At sea you will probably receive less than normal background, sea water makes good shielding from mother nature. At sea normally only the ELTs receive detectable dose, well many moons ago on the 637s and I suspect that it is still true for the newer class of boats.

This still remains true for the ELTs.  RTs get the next highest from my experience also. 

Lifetime your does will definitely be low, much less than 2 REM I'd imagine.  Unless you plan on hanging out in the RC you'll be fine.  The newer boats are much cleaner.  Most of the older hot ones should be getting scrapped by the time you make it to your boat. 

As said before though, you're receiving less does submerged then you would if you were on land.  Just another reason to be at sea, plus the water tastes better there!!   :P
Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #18 on: Mar 31, 2009, 05:11 »
Just realized I was logged in under My Lady's username. LOL

The Above thread was from NUKECOMER101
oops

Hmmmmm... does that make you a "cross poster".  :)

mlslstephens

« Reply #19 on: Mar 31, 2009, 05:18 »
For the record, I've tried the search engine. Assuming Ryan is selected for the NUPOC program... After his interview with the admiral, how long will he have to review the contract before he signs anything? Is there a copy available to read prior to the interview? Basically, I'd like to review the contract myself. Is that possible? In all reality, if he commits to the navy and I commit to him... well you get my point. I've read the threads regarding relationships. I've lost some sleep b/c of this forum :)  On a side note, is the life of an officer's wife different than that of an enlisted's wife?
Amy,
I appreciate your concern as the decisions you and Ryan are making are very important and will change the course of both of your lives...if not forever, for several years.  Since I'm not my wife, I really cannot answer your question of a wife's life...and I won't turn over my NaVLI4 keyboard to my wife.   :P
However, since I served ten years enlisted and twelve years as an officer [all with the same wonderful wife] I think I will take a stab at this one.
Being the wife of an officer is no different than being the wife of an enlisted man.  Here is my point.  Yes, the job of an officer is different than that of an enlisted man but the "man" is not different.  Does that make sense?  I know it is a simple answer, but I'm being very honest here.  If the sub has a surface to dive ratio of less than one, then all the wives get paid...if you know what I mean.  :'(

I truly wish you and Ryan the best of luck in your future both as a happily married couple and as members of the greatest Navy in the world.  Feel free to PM me for specific questions if you desire.  I would even let my wife answer those.  ;)

I wouldn't change my career for anything.  I completely enjoyed my 22 years and my wife would say the same.

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
« Reply #20 on: Mar 31, 2009, 06:19 »
+K Mike.

InLuvWithRecruit

« Reply #21 on: Mar 31, 2009, 06:52 »
NaVLI4,
That was a breath of fresh air! I love reading marriage success stories. Congrats to you and your wife. I can only assume it's the ultimate test of dedication and trust. And oh, how I would love to pick your wife's brain :) It's my fear of the all the unknowns that fuel my doubts. Am I going to adjust to the lifestyle? Will I be able to deal with the time apart? Questions of that nature. Don't get me wrong, Ryan's safety is of my utmost concern. Aside from that, I have issues regarding my role as a Navy wife. I've told Ryan that I would commit 100% at this point, but when it comes time (5 years?) to re-sign we need to reassess everything. Collectively, him AND I will decide to re-sign or not. And one thing is for sure, NO kids will be had untill we've got school and his first tour out of the way. I'm hoping my own career as a nurse will keep me busy. How often did you and your wife have to move? Do you have any kids? Were you able to seperate work from your home-life? How was yours (and hers) stress level? I could go on for hours.... (maybe i'll try the PM?)

I've read quotes on here like (and I'm paraphrasing) 'last time I checked spouses weren't issued with your sea bag' and 'girlfriends are like the gook you wipe out of your eyes in the morning.' I try not to let those quotes discourage my thoughts on becoming an officer's wife. Although, the other morning when I was rubbing my eyes.... Haha I digress.

Not sure what you meant by 'If the sub has a surface to dive ratio of less than one, then all the wives get paid...if you know what I mean.' Some of the jokes on here fly right over my head.

Thanks again, for getting personal on here. As a female, that's mostly what I take away from this forum.  

I'll repeat my other question. Can I review the contract before Ryan's signs it???

InLuvWithRecruit

« Reply #22 on: Mar 31, 2009, 07:04 »
+K Mike.

I just checked the navy nuke terms. Couldn't find K+? To me, as an R.N that means, potassium.

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
« Reply #23 on: Mar 31, 2009, 07:20 »
Karma...look below your profile name.
I'll chime in with NavLI4....it ain't easy.  279 out of the first 365 days on board the boat at sea.  And at the time...the only communication was a monthly "family gram." Limited to 40 words which the wife could send and would be received by the Radiomen, screened, and delivered.  No communication back until we hit a port.  Things are better now with e-mail though.
Lets see....missed daughter's first steps and words....luckily home for both conception and birth!   ;D   Missed Christmas and birthday parties, kids sporting events, etc.  Who did the taxes, got the vehicles registered, got the repairman in when something broke?
It takes a special person to put up with the forced separation and long work hours....and it takes work.  My wife's been married to the Navy for 22 years this May!  She's bucking for a set of orders back to Charleston now, and I'd say she's earned them!

mlslstephens

« Reply #24 on: Mar 31, 2009, 07:30 »

I just checked the navy nuke terms. Couldn't find K+? To me, as an R.N that means, potassium.
The +K is how someone who is a Goldmember grants Karma to those posting on the forum.  The opposite of +K is smiting which takes away from your karma score.
NaVLI4,

I'll repeat my other question. Can I review the contract before Ryan's signs it???

Not sure the answer to this question.  I don't remember my wife reviewing any of my contracts, but there is a contract and I guess she could have...just not sure.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?