Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Places to be stationed while not on carrier honeypot

Author Topic: Places to be stationed while not on carrier  (Read 7086 times)

moormane

Places to be stationed while not on carrier
« on: Apr 18, 2009, 06:05 »
From my understanding in the navy after doing onto a carrier or submarine for 6 or so months a person is stationed somewhere...for a nuke where are the places to be stationed? Do you have any say in where you're stationed or are you assigned somewhere and thats that? I would appreciate it any information...Thanks  :)

Fermi2

Re: Places to be stationed while not on carrier
« Reply #1 on: Apr 18, 2009, 06:49 »
From my understanding in the navy after doing onto a carrier or submarine for 6 or so months a person is stationed somewhere...for a nuke where are the places to be stationed? Do you have any say in where you're stationed or are you assigned somewhere and thats that? I would appreciate it any information...Thanks  :)

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 6 or so months!!!!

withroaj

« Reply #2 on: Apr 18, 2009, 07:06 »

GCE -4.  First-term sea duty lasts 60 or so months (though you can take an instructor tour in sunny Goose Creek, SC or historic Ballston Spa, NY at one of the prototypes with just 36 months of sea duty).  When stationed on a ship and not at sea... you're in port.  That works like a 9-5 job with 3-6 (or the fabled 8 ) section duty.  Duty means you sleep on the ship/boat and stand watch.  Don't worry, though.  They keep you busy (or busy waiting...).

When you complete your sea tour you can "negotiate" for orders to a shore command.  Nuke shore billets seem to be drying up, though, so you might wind up doing back-to-back sea duty.  Make sure you have fun with whatever happens and you'll be alright.

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #3 on: Apr 18, 2009, 07:11 »
Ok laddy, here be where yee get yer upgrade.

After you are done with Nuke School you are assigned to a sub or a carrier(Staff pickup is whole other ball of ear wax).  Now the "wonderful" locations for each is varied.

Carriers:  Norfolk, VA  San Diego, CA  Bremerton/Everett, WA and Yokosko, Japan. (there is talk about moving one down to Mayport, FL but nothing certain.

Submarines:  Norfolk, VA  Groton, CT  Kings Bay, GA   San Diego, CA  Bangor, WA  Pearl Harbour, Hawaii and finally Guam.  

After you do 3-5 YEARS on a sub or carrier then you are eligible for "shore duty"  Generally nuke shore duty consists of the following:

Instructor tour at NNPTC in Charleston, SC
Instructor tour at NPTU(if you can call this shore duty) in Charleston, SC
Recruiter(just about anywhere in the US is available most of the time)
IMA shop: this is where you work in a shop fixing other ships. (most major ship ports such as San Diego, Norfolk, etc)
Some other "general" shore billet such as Boot Camp RDC, some gopher in D.C., etc.  These are very seldom filled by nuke enlisted.

There you go.
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

Offline DLGN25

• Moderate User
« Reply #4 on: Apr 18, 2009, 07:53 »
Wow, and I thought I had it bad.  Then the rotation was two years or so sea duty, then two years shore duty, then sea duty and so on.  But that was at a time when the Navy was building up it's nuclear fleet with the California class cruisers and additional carriers, and subs, so turn over was pretty good as they cranked out baby nukes.  The draft also helped.

When did they, or did they shut down Idaho Falls?  That was where most of the guys went for shore duty in the day, I wanted nothing to do with it, the commute was a killer.
Surely oak and three-fold brass surrounded his heart who first trusted a frail vessel to a merciless ocean.  Horace

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Apr 18, 2009, 10:05 »
Idaho Falls is long gone, at least the operating prototypes.  Want to say it was 1996 that they shut the doors there.  Defueled and mothballed now...on the national historic register.  Of course, NRF is still up and operating, but there isn't navy duty there except for a small contingent of NRRO folks overseeing fuel operations.  INEEL is still there and going strong, but run by Battelle in conjunction with MIT.
« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2009, 07:57 by NukeLDO »
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

moormane

« Reply #6 on: Apr 19, 2009, 06:27 »
Well it seems i was way off on that one haha...thank you for catching me up

Now on the carriers is there any say in where you go out of the Norfolk, VA  San Diego, CA  Bremerton/Everett, WA and Yokosko, Japan choices? Or does it depend on where you're needed and grades and such?

Samabby

« Reply #7 on: Apr 20, 2009, 09:32 »
Embrace English for all your future Naval communications. Clarity will get you far in your quest. You may also try to use the search feature for some good information. Good luck, son. 8)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?