Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Engineering "E" a bit of nostalgia honeypot

Author Topic: Engineering "E" a bit of nostalgia  (Read 4416 times)

Offline DLGN25

• Moderate User
Engineering "E" a bit of nostalgia
« on: Apr 27, 2009, 11:20 »
After the Bainbridge's first refueling, we of course went through REFTRA, days on end of constant engineering drills run around the clock by the Chief Engineer and the MPA (the REFTRA engineers were not NUC rated, hence not allowed in the engine room. Boy were they ticked off).  Anyway, the ship was awarded an Engineering E.  Wow, after all that work, an Engineering E to sew on my uniform.  But wait, ET's were not engineering ratings, so, no E for me.  The reason, well it was thought that an E on a no-engineer's uniform would raise all types of grief for ET's by SP's and MP's.  Oh, well, just another disappointment.

Then came the discussion of where to paint the E on the ship.  At the time, an Engineering E award was to be displayed on the forward boiler room stack.  What do you do if your ship does not have a stack?  Well, we ended up painting it on the forward engineering space ventilation intakes, or close to it.

I guess it matters not these days as the cloth E on the uniform is no more, and I see the Engineering E's are now on the bridge wings.  A bit of Navy tradition gone.

But then again, how many of you remember who was the "Oil King" and what he did?  Yeh, I know, you submarine guys are now rolling your eyes.
Surely oak and three-fold brass surrounded his heart who first trusted a frail vessel to a merciless ocean.  Horace

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Re: Engineering "E" a bit of nostalgia
« Reply #1 on: Apr 27, 2009, 06:26 »
Not really, during my destroyer time I was the Water Kings Assistant, I knew the Oil King quite well, there are some good gigs in the conventional Navy, Oil King is one of 'em,....

next question,...

The "Jack O' the Dust" had a pretty good deal too.....yarrrrr!

Offline DLGN25

• Moderate User
« Reply #2 on: Apr 27, 2009, 07:05 »
Surely oak and three-fold brass surrounded his heart who first trusted a frail vessel to a merciless ocean.  Horace

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
« Reply #3 on: Apr 27, 2009, 07:44 »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #4 on: Apr 29, 2009, 09:38 »
how can a ship with twin 5"/38 cal. NOT be cool ?  ;D

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #5 on: Apr 30, 2009, 06:43 »
how can a ship with twin 5"/38 cal. NOT be cool ?  ;D

I always liked being the OOD for a gun shoot :) :) :)
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?