Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu GI Bill News honeypot

Author Topic: GI Bill News  (Read 8973 times)

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
GI Bill News
« on: May 01, 2009, 08:09 »
Today, the VA starts taking applications for the Post 9/11 GI Bill, as well as transfer of those benefits to dependents.  Here's the link to the VA website to get you started.

http://vabenefits.vba.va.gov/vonapp/main.asp
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Re: GI Bill News
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 11:15 »
Thanks for the post I have passed it along to several veterans groups here in Knoxville.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 10:43 »
I have a Powerpoint presentation put out by Big Navy about the new GI Bill.

If anyone wants a copy, PM me with your email address.

Cheers,
GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 11:03 »
Sorry to report this is not as easy as it sounds.  VA and institutions of higher learning are not processing any transfers of entitlement (unless you are in a specific program currently authorized by the Army) until DOD issues instructions to implement.  In other words, if you were hoping to transfer your GI BIll benefits to your kids, you can't do that yet.
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 02:47 »
C&P from a DOD newsletter issued today:

Post-9/11 GI Bill Transferability
While the Post-9/11 GI Bill offers a very generous post-service education benefit, a special provision of the program allows career service members the opportunity to share their education benefits with immediate family members.
Allowing career service members to transfer their GI Bill benefits to family members has long been one of the most requested items among military family readiness and advocacy groups.
The rules for Post-9/11 GI Bill transferability are in the final stages, but have not been signed. The following information represents proposed policy, which is subject to change.
Eligible Individuals
Any member of the Armed Forces (active duty or Selected Reserve, officer or enlisted) on or after August 1, 2009, who is eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill, and
• Has at least 6 years of service in the Armed Forces on the date of election and agrees to serve 4 additional years in the Armed Forces from the date of election.
• Has at least 10 years of service in the Armed Forces (active duty and/or selected reserve) on the date of election, is precluded by either standard policy (service or DoD) or statute from committing to 4 additional years, and agrees to serve for the maximum amount of time allowed by such policy or statute, or
• Is or becomes retirement eligible during the period from August 1, 2009, through August 1, 2013. A service member is considered to be retirement eligible if he or she has completed 20 years of active duty or 20 qualifying years of reserve service.
• For those individuals eligible for retirement on August 1, 2009, no additional service is required.
• For those individuals who have an approved retirement date after August 1, 2009, and before July 1, 2010, no additional service is required.
• For those individuals eligible for retirement after August 1, 2009, and before August 1, 2010, 1 year of additional service after approval of transfer is required.
• For those individuals eligible for retirement on or after August 1, 2010, and before August 1, 2011, 2 years of additional service after approval of transfer are required.
• For those individuals eligible for retirement on or after August 1, 2011, and before August 1, 2012, 3 years of additional service after approval of transfer required.
Eligible Family Members
An individual approved to transfer an entitlement to educational assistance under this section may transfer the individual’s entitlement to:
• The individual’s spouse.
• One or more of the individual’s children.
• Any combination of spouse and child.
• A family member must be enrolled in the Defense Eligibility Enrollment
Reporting System (DEERS) and be eligible for benefits, at the time of transfer to receive transferred educational benefits.
• A child’s subsequent marriage will not affect his or her eligibility to receive the educational benefit; however, after an individual has designated a child as a transferee under this section, the individual retains the right to revoke or modify the transfer at any time.
• A subsequent divorce will not affect the transferee’s eligibility to receive
educational benefits; however, after an individual has designated a spouse as a transferee under this section, the eligible individual retains the right to revoke or modify the transfer at any time.
Nature of Transfer
An eligible Service member may transfer up to the total months of unused Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits, or the entire 36 months if the member has used none.  Family member use of transferred educational benefits is subject to the following:
• Spouse:
• May start to use the benefit immediately.
• May use the benefit while the member remains in the Armed Forces or after separation from active duty.
• Is not eligible for the monthly stipend or books and supplies stipend while the member is serving on active duty.
• Can use the benefit for up to 15 years after the service member’s last
separation form active duty.
• Child:
• May start to use the benefit only after the individual making the transfer has completed at least 10 years of service in the Armed Forces.
• May use the benefit while the eligible individual remains in the Armed Forces or after separation from active duty.
• May not use the benefit until he/she has attained a secondary school diploma (or equivalency certificate), or reached 18 years of age.
• Is entitled to the monthly stipend and books and supplies stipend even though the eligible individual is on active duty.
• Is not subject to the 15-year delimiting date, but may not use the benefit after reaching 26 years of age.
April 28, 2009

rlbinc

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 06:01 »
Use it QUICK!
I lost my GI Bill in the 1980s when unemployment got high. They suspended payments on the Vietnam Era GI Bill on 12/31/89, irrespective of your ten years "eligibility". More Vietnam era vets than expected actually used it, and tilted the budget.
They WILL change the law when a budget constraint is needed. Use it or lose it folks. If the past is an indicator, these things can be scams.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 09:50 »
Thanks for the info all!

Justin

co60slr

Re: GI Bill News (OJT - RO/SRO License)
« Reply #7 on: Jun 09, 2009, 08:23 »
(Request permission to enter)....for my first post on NukeWorker.

The current GI Bill can be used for SRO ILT "on the job training" benefits if used in the course of obtaining an RO or SRO license.   By my calculations, it equates to about $15K over the course of a plant's licensing process.   More info via the VA's website.

However, those switiching over to Post 9-11 GI bill...no "OJT payments".   What if you collect the $15K and bank it into investments?  What would the return be after 8-18 years (depending on the age of kids)?  Just a thought.

For those that have the GI Bill, but haven't heard this from their Plant, highly recommended that you ask now.  Back pay may be forthcoming.   I'll settle for a 10% "finder's fee". 

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #8 on: Jun 10, 2009, 03:45 »
(Request permission to enter)....for my first post on NukeWorker.

The current GI Bill can be used for SRO ILT "on the job training" benefits if used in the course of obtaining an RO or SRO license.   By my calculations, it equates to about $15K over the course of a plant's licensing process.   More info via the VA's website.

However, those switiching over to Post 9-11 GI bill...no "OJT payments".   What if you collect the $15K and bank it into investments?  What would the return be after 8-18 years (depending on the age of kids)?  Just a thought.

For those that have the GI Bill, but haven't heard this from their Plant, highly recommended that you ask now.  Back pay may be forthcoming.   I'll settle for a 10% "finder's fee". 

Thanks for the info but it is common knowledge. I have collected for OJT at two plants now, and it isn't just for SRO/RO. NLOs and anyone else in any other OJT (including security) can grab it too.

Justin

co60slr

« Reply #9 on: Jun 10, 2009, 09:04 »
Thanks for the info but it is common knowledge. I have collected for OJT at two plants now, and it isn't just for SRO/RO. NLOs and anyone else in any other OJT (including security) can grab it too.

It's not common knowledge at my plant and not back with Navy friends on "used-da-fish", hence my posting strategy.   Given the number of people that "I know" don't know about it, I thought it might be appropriate to throw into this thread.   My apologies if you thought it was a waste of bandwith, but I hope it'll give others some good information.   I'd hate to hear that someone converted over the "new and improved" GI Bill only to find out they lost $15K they could have collected during training.   VA.gov lists specific employers, specific occupations, and points of contact at your company that are "certified" to get you started.

Yes, the GI Bill does pay for many non-nuclear licenses/OJT training programs (e.g., electricians at conventional plants).   Since that is common knowledge, I thought that I'd limit the posting to RO/SRO though (evidenced by my subject line addendum), since that's the hottest topic here.   Kudos to those in the Navy surfing NukeWorker.com for security guard positions at nuclear plants to find a use for their GI Bill benefits.   Regardless, it's a great benefit.  Congrats on you cashing in with two training programs at two different plants!

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #10 on: Jun 11, 2009, 12:09 »
Hey no no worries. From my perspective it was common knowledge and even so, restating it is not a waste of bandwidth. I didn't mean it to come across that way, I was just sharing my experience that it appeared to be well known. :) Sorry if I came across wrong.

Justin

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
« Reply #11 on: Jun 30, 2009, 07:30 »
The web site to elect transfer of benefits to spouses and dependents is up and working as of this morning.  You must first obtain a certificate of eligibility though the VA.  Here's the link:

https://www.dmdc.osd.mil/appj/agentsso/LoginSelect.jsp?gotourl=%2FTEB%2Findex.jsp&modules=DFAS,FAM,CAC

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?