Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Chances of Getting accepted in NUPOC? honeypot

Author Topic: Chances of Getting accepted in NUPOC?  (Read 18039 times)

SSBN_SeaWolf

Chances of Getting accepted in NUPOC?
« on: May 05, 2009, 12:57 »
Hello All,

I am a senior at Drexel University majoring in Mechanical Engineering and Mechanics. I have 3.33 GPA and my Major GPA is around 3.6. I have been in touch with an Officer Recruiter to apply to NUPOC. My application has been submitted, I have MEPS Screening this friday. I have tons of leadership experience as President of Student Government, Board Member to various groups, i have Served in the Executive counsel comprised of students at the State level. I am a National Commended Student, State of NJ CHE Distinguished Scholar and I have an AS in Math where i graduated with a 4.0 and two classes short of an AS in Chemistry. From anyone who has prevoisly applied to NUPOC or has been accepted, please let me know, what are my chances? I feel confident, I interview well and received A's in Calculus I, II, III and Differential Equations and Linear Algebra, as well as Physics I, II. I should mention that i currently work for the Navy as an Intern, would this help or hurt my chances at NUPOC Interview. I have NVIP trip on May 18-19-20 and plan for the interview on June 11. Any help is greatly appreciated. I would also like to thank you for everyone who has contributed to this Forum, as it has been of a great help and information is very useful. Thank You.

EDIT: Just an update to my fellow board members, who have been really helpful with their wisdom to provide me with information. I have been invited to this month's Interviews in DC as my security clearance issue was resolved. I am just really greatful that I have been given this opportunity.

I was just wondering, if any minds here have any advise for me when I get down there. I have taken the Nuke PreExam and did well on it. I have been preparing for 4 months now, study guides and Calculus and Physics Textbooks have come out from the dark. I would really appreciate it if someone has any constructive advise for me as far as Techanical Interviews are concerned, as well as the Admiral. Thanks again. I will keep you guys posted. The interview is two days, Aug 19 and 20. Techanicals on 19 and Admiral Donald on 20th due to his busy schedule.

best,

Seawolf
« Last Edit: Aug 12, 2009, 05:12 by SSBN_SeaWolf »

SSBN_SeaWolf

Re: Chances of Getting accepted in NUPOC?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 01:14 »
Yes Sir. Thank You for replying. Above information is correct, since i work for the Navy currently, i already have secret clearance, so this should make things easy when it comes to my SF86 Top Secret. I did smoke weed once, and ONCE only ever in my life, which i admitted on the application, even though only one other person knows i did it. Does it hurt my chances? I signed a waiver with my LT. when i signed the Application. I am going Surface and then Instructor, because eventually i would like to become a professor.... Any thoughts? Mr. GC?

SSBN_SeaWolf

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 08:29 »
Anyone else,
have any thought on what exactly happens and what is the general personality of successful candidates?

Offline juggalonic

• Light User
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 10:09 »
  Surface is closed out for male applicants until October 1st, 2009, so I recommend going Instructor especially since you want to teach in the future.  For more information check the NUPOC website, which is maintained by one of the Nuclear Program Officers.
http://www.navynupoc.blogspot.com/

Regardless of what program you are going to interview for the most important thing you can do is study the NUPOC study guide.  All the good grades and extra curricular activies are good, BUT the only thing that gets you accepted into the program is your performance during your technical interviews and in front of the Admiral.  If you comb through the applicable sections for you (see the front matter) and feel confident in your ability to present the answers then your chances are good.

SSBN_SeaWolf

« Reply #4 on: Aug 12, 2009, 05:14 »
UPDATE!!

Just an update to my fellow board members, who have been really helpful with their wisdom to provide me with information. I have been invited to this month's Interviews in DC as my security clearance issue was resolved. I am just really greatful that I have been given this opportunity.

I was just wondering, if any minds here have any advise for me when I get down there. I have taken the Nuke PreExam and did well on it. I have been preparing for 4 months now, study guides and Calculus and Physics Textbooks have come out from the dark. I would really appreciate it if someone has any constructive advise for me as far as Techanical Interviews are concerned, as well as the Admiral. Thanks again. I will keep you guys posted. The interview is two days, Aug 19 and 20. Techanicals on 19 and Admiral Donald on 20th due to his busy schedule.

best,

Seawolf

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #5 on: Aug 12, 2009, 07:38 »
good luck
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
« Reply #6 on: Aug 12, 2009, 09:34 »
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,16859.0.html

A search for "Admiral" will yield many results similar to the one above.
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #7 on: Aug 12, 2009, 09:39 »
UPDATE!!

Just an update to my fellow board members, who have been really helpful with their wisdom to provide me with information. I have been invited to this month's Interviews in DC as my security clearance issue was resolved. I am just really greatful that I have been given this opportunity.

best,

Seawolf

Good luck.  I hope everything goes well for you next week.

Cheers,
GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

SSBN_SeaWolf

« Reply #8 on: Aug 14, 2009, 01:35 »
I hope all goes well. Thanks again folks. I am confident that it will. My preparation i feel is adequate given the length of studying that I have done. Given that, however I am not being lazy and will review the material again all this week. I leave Tuesday afternoon and that is when the studying stops. If i haven't gotten it by that time, i doubt it will help. I will keep you all posted.
I can not wait to get yelled at by the DI's at OCS and take "S***" from people  as a JO on my boat. It will help me tremendously.
I guess I am not concerned but curious about what the Admiral will ask me, because I have A's in all Calculus and Physics classes, so he probably wont question it, then again he may, who knows. I know what is coming my way in technical interviews but I'm wracking my brain over the Admiral interview.... Any thoughts folks?

Seawolf

SSBN_SeaWolf

« Reply #9 on: Aug 19, 2009, 09:27 »
I MADE IT EVERYONE!! Thanks for the help.

Seawolf

Glowing_Since_09

« Reply #10 on: Aug 19, 2009, 09:40 »
Congrats

Fermi2

« Reply #11 on: Aug 19, 2009, 09:56 »
Congratulations!

Offline War Eagle

• Moderate User
  • PWR SRO
« Reply #12 on: Aug 19, 2009, 10:01 »
Congrats and Best of Luck!

mlslstephens

« Reply #13 on: Aug 19, 2009, 10:29 »
Doing my best to stay on topic...I would say 100%.

Congratulations and well done.

Enjoy your time in the Navy. 

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #14 on: Aug 20, 2009, 04:40 »
Congrats!

Justin

Offline Wanna Know Mom

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #15 on: Aug 20, 2009, 10:31 »
Seawolf, from one of the Navy Nuke parents on this forum, congratulations!  (Yes, I'm a wanna know mom, so I have to ask, what did the Admiral ask you?)
Kathy, VPNNM

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #16 on: Aug 20, 2009, 02:06 »
Congratulations
« Last Edit: Aug 20, 2009, 02:07 by Marlin »

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
« Reply #17 on: Aug 20, 2009, 03:37 »
Congrats!  Lotta stress over nothing right?
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

SSBN_SeaWolf

« Reply #18 on: Aug 20, 2009, 08:12 »
Ms. Mom
The Admiral asked me Why I chose the Surface Nuke (NOT TO MENTION: The three chiefs who got accepted and two other Prior guys (All SSN/SSBN) DID NOT LET ME LIVE for the REST OF THE AFTERNOON and told me to go join the REAL NAVY!!!!  :P)

Admiral Donald asked me why chose to go to community college first, then transfer? Since the tuition for Drexel University is about 36000$ a year, he asked me how did i pay it? The Dean's Academic Scholarship saved me!

Also, where was my father? Since I supported my family first two years of college, working close to fulltime. My father was still overseas and had not yet gotten his Visa. This was the reason why I could not go away to school after high school graduation and delay in security investigation (SIGH!) ::) >:(

He also asked me how much debt do i carry? Nothing major... 15K in stafford loans. I was in his office 20 seconds tops.

20 more seconds later, I was the happiest man in the world, going back to the conference room, I HAD THE BIGGEST, MOST GOOFIEST SMILE ON MY FACE!!!!

Turns out, Mr. Gamecock was also at Naval Reactors in DC at the Washington Navy Yard!!! Who knew!

I had two technicals, first one was ok. Second one was AWESOME! Both thumbs up.

All it matters is that, I AM finally a part of the WORLD's BEST NAVAL FLEET!!!!

Thanks to everyone for wishing me well in the journey and helping me out through it, including answering my questions.

Please, feel free to give me more comments on the REAL NAVY!!! (Sub Surface guys always had the coolest stories to tell and were the most goofy!!)

It was actually a two day event, but at the last minute ADM agreed to see us and we were done Wednesday and we had Thursday to relax and enjoy DC. Navy Yard buildings are very nice and I had chills just walking through it.

The Rickover Chair made it even more special and the Journey from SSN 571 to SSN 23 (GO SeaWOLF)!!!!!! has been amazing. I am going to love every minute of the Navy, there shall be nothing better.

It has yet to completely sink in and realize that i was accepted. The 4 stars on Admiral's collar were literally blinding my eyes!

Man, Never though It would feel this good!! I am just excited i have been given this opportunity and cant wait to report to OCS. 25JUN2010!!!!! Now the countdown BEGINS!

Seawolf

SSBN_SeaWolf

Nuke Candidate - Update!
« Reply #19 on: Nov 21, 2009, 11:55 »
Update:

OCS Date: 07AUG2010!!! ( :D)

12JUN2010 (Graduation) and OCS! Nothing else matters at this point. Graduate and get to OCS and ready to fill dirt in my pocket and experience the Rose Garden!!
« Last Edit: Nov 21, 2009, 11:56 by SSBN_SeaWolf »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?