Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Can't take the nuke test? honeypot

Author Topic: Can't take the nuke test?  (Read 22581 times)

inuke

Can't take the nuke test?
« on: May 12, 2009, 01:50 »
Okay, this is what's up. I've taken the ASVAB, didn't study, and scored a 90, not amazing but not that bad. I was talking to my navy recruiter and he said he thinks I should try to be a nuke and I agree. I was in his office when he called down to see if I automatically qualify for the nuke program, which I didn't, but the lady said I only have to score a 50 on the nuke test to be accepted. I'm confident that I'll be able to score a 50 on the test, but this is where my problem comes in... My navy recruiter said that I can't take the test until I have signed my papers. Is this true? And if so how do I know I will be guaranteed to take it?

JustinHEMI05

Re: Can't take the nuke test?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 02:44 »
Lie.

Justin

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 03:24 »
for clarification: The recruiter is lying.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 11:09 »
for clarification: The recruiter is lying.

Thanks Dave, upon re-reading, I can see where one might need clarification of my response. You nailed it.  ;D 8) I was following Marssim's approach to making my answer easy and to the point.  :P

Justin
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 11:10 by JustinHEMI »

inuke

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 11:29 »
Thanks for the help everbody. It didn't make sense to me so I was just making sure.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 11:39 »
Good luck and please keep us posted!

Justin

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 12:24 »
I wonder what the bullnuke program champion would have to say? ;)

Offline deltarho

• An EOOW asked during his S/Y steam plant testing pre-watch tour, "Shouldn't those scram breakers be open?" K-thunk, K-thunk. "Uh-oh!"
  • Heavy User
  • I make alpha particle "direct delivery" systems.
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 05:07 »
If I were you, I would invest in a miniature hand-held fire extinguisher and walk in with it to the recruiter's office.  When asked why you're carrying it around, just tell him or her, "This is to put out the fire when your pants erupt in flames, like the time when you told me I'm not eligible to take the NFQT prior to signing papers."
The above has nothing to do with any real  or imagined person(s).  Moreover, any referenced biped(s) simulating real or imagined persons--with a pulse or not--is coincidental, as far as you know.

inuke

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 01:38 »
Update: I went and talked to another nearby recruiter, who happened to be a nuke, to see if I could get a little more straight forward answer. He told me that taking the test before I sign papers was a yes, and a no. He said there were only two ways to take the test:

1. I take it at meps, after my physical, and it would be graded on sight and I would find out then if I would get accepted or not.

2. The person in charge of giving the test could drive out to my recruiting station and give the test to me.

Here are the problems with both:

1. I was told that I wouldn't have to sign any papers saying that I am joining the navy up until this point, but when I asked if I could just walk out then if I didn't pass the test, he said that that wasn't an option and I would have to pick a job because he wouldn't take me there unless he knew for sure I would join the navy whether I made it into the nuke program or not and I also couldn't just walk out because I would have "wasted two days of his time." I asked my recruiter if he could find out what jobs would be available to me if I didn't make nuke so that I could have a back up plan ready. He told me that he could but it wouldn't matter because I haven't passed my physical yet so he didn't want to get my hopes up with saying I could get a certain job but then not be able to because of my physical.

2. I was told the person in charge of giving the test wouldn't drive to my recruiting station to only give one person the test because it would be a waste of his time, I would need like 5 or 6 others who wanted to take it too. I found out that the person in charge of taking the test was located only about an hour away, so I told my recruiter that I would drive out to him to take the test if he felt that it would be a waste of time to drive to me to give me the test even though it is his job. I was then told that even if I drove to him he would not administer the test to me because I haven't passed my physical yet, so it would still be a waste of his time to give it to me because there is a chance I could not pass my physical.

Side note: I'm still very confident that I would pass the nuke test without a problem. I also do not believe that my physical would be a problem either. I'm not color blind and have 20 20 vision. I'm 6'5 and 195 pounds. I work out, run, and play basketball all the time.  I doubt my blood pressure would be too high. I do not know everything else that goes into the physical but I'm not too worried. Even though I'm confident that I would pass these both, I am still trying to watch out for myself, so any advice would be welcomed with open arms.

Thanks,
 iNuke

Fermi2

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 01:41 »
Simple, walk away.
And if I may say so, your entire story sounds suspect.

inuke

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 01:44 »
Sounds suspect why?

Fermi2

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 01:44 »
It simply does. Too many Ifs ands and buts.

inuke

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 01:47 »
Oh? well it's spot on to what is happening and I was just looking for some help. Didn't think I would be called a liar about it.

Fermi2

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 01:48 »
I said the story sounds suspect and full of self convincing material. I never called you a liar!

inuke

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2009, 01:49 »
My bad, just took it the wrong way then.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2009, 01:51 »
Oh? well it's spot on to what is happening and I was just looking for some help. Didn't think I would be called a liar about it.

I think the theme here is that the recruiters are the ones lying. However, since you have been warned in this thread by people who were all successful nukes who did NOT fall for this chicanery , yet you continue to deal with these recruiters that keep giving you the KitKat "two for me, none for you" story.

Question for inuke: Are you going to tell these lying recruiters that they are out of luck, or will you put yourself in the position of the girl that went on the date at the drive-in, expecting to just see a movie? Dealing with these recruiters will have the same ending  :P

Fermi2

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2009, 01:53 »
Thank you Dave.

inuke

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2009, 01:55 »
I know what you're saying, but if being a nuke is something I really want to do, how am I supposed to go about it without dealing with recruiters?

Fermi2

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2009, 01:56 »
No law against visiting another recruiter is there?
Simple problem solving and thinking for oneself is a trait we nuke types greatly admire.

There's a 10 PM/Hr limit here!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 01:57 by Broadzilla »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2009, 02:12 »
 or this could happen....  ;)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 02:13 by HydroDave63 »

Fermi2

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2009, 02:15 »
LOL. Mine says I've exceeded my 10 PM per hour limit. I've been trying to answer all the job finding PMs I get. Plus exchange pleasantries with an old friend.

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2009, 03:52 »
Question for inuke: Are you going to tell these lying recruiters that they are out of luck, or will you put yourself in the position of the girl that went on the date at the drive-in, expecting to just see a movie? Dealing with these recruiters will have the same ending  :P

Now that's funny....
hmmmm, I got a drive in nearby...wonder if the wife wants to see a movie... :D
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Motown homey

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2009, 06:47 »
Now that's funny....
hmmmm, I got a drive in nearby...wonder if the wife wants to see a movie... :D

If she goes with you, that's probably what she wants to do - see the movie.

aydansmom

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2009, 07:09 »
1. I was told that I wouldn't have to sign any papers saying that I am joining the navy up until this point, but when I asked if I could just walk out then if I didn't pass the test, he said that that wasn't an option and I would have to pick a job because he wouldn't take me there unless he knew for sure I would join the navy whether I made it into the nuke program or not and I also couldn't just walk out because I would have "wasted two days of his time." I asked my recruiter if he could find out what jobs would be available to me if I didn't make nuke so that I could have a back up plan ready. He told me that he could but it wouldn't matter because I haven't passed my physical yet so he didn't want to get my hopes up with saying I could get a certain job but then not be able to because of my physical.

2. I was told the person in charge of giving the test wouldn't drive to my recruiting station to only give one person the test because it would be a waste of his time, I would need like 5 or 6 others who wanted to take it too. I found out that the person in charge of taking the test was located only about an hour away, so I told my recruiter that I would drive out to him to take the test if he felt that it would be a waste of time to drive to me to give me the test even though it is his job. I was then told that even if I drove to him he would not administer the test to me because I haven't passed my physical yet, so it would still be a waste of his time to give it to me because there is a chance I could not pass my physical.

I'm new, but have insightful information. I went to meps and signed for aecf. I was given the chance to take the nuke test. The nuclear guy drove over an hour last week to just give me the test so it can be done. I passed and they switched my job without me ever having to go back to meps.

When you go to meps, you don't have to take a job. You still will have taken your physical by the time they get to job hunting. If you can't get what you want, the recruiter can take you back when the spot becomes available. I was assured that nf is always open so long as you have the scores to get in. Just make sure you take your transcripts to meps.

withroaj

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2009, 07:18 »
I signed up in summer '02 so it may have changed, but I was signed up as a nuke without ever visiting MEPS or signing any sort of paperwork.  Seems like some sort of tomfoolery to me.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?