Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Excellent NUPOC Study Material........ for potential candidate's preparation!!! honeypot

Author Topic: Excellent NUPOC Study Material........ for potential candidate's preparation!!!  (Read 20670 times)

SSBN_SeaWolf

Hello All,

The following link is extremely useful in preparing for the Naval Reactors interviews. It combines Physics, Calculus, EE, ME, NUKE Engineering, Statics, Dynamics, Statistics and much more. ALL WITH ANSWERS. ITS 144 Pages lol. This will save you. Thanks again, who ever uploaded it.

http://www.odu.edu/ao/hrnrotc/Students/nuke%20stuff.pdf

Please see the Link above, i have also asked the Officer who maintains, Navynupoc.Blogspot.com to add it on the website, so it may reach more indivisuals. Thank You.

SSBN_SEAWOLF

Offline Laundry Man

• Heavy User
Some very interesting material there.  Even for a non-Navy person such as myself.
LM

co60slr

This will save you.

SSBN_SEAWOLF

I didn't see the link worked.  However, here's a link to all the DOE nuclear study guides.   You might find the chapters on Reactor Theory, Thermodynamics, etc similar and helpful.  For those of you that miss your good 'ole navy nuclear fundamentals study guide, you might find these chapters very similar:   http://www.hss.doe.gov/nuclearsafety/ns/techstds/standard/standard.html

However, your quote "This will save you" is a stretch, in my opinion. (A+ for enthusiasm though!) Brush up your weak areas maybe, but I doubt you can cram 4 years of college into a few weeks.  What was your worst class or grade in college?   (Insert your Answer).  Why? 

Hint: the "why" is the real question....(they will already know the answer to the first).

Good luck. 

Offline juggalonic

• Light User
However, your quote "This will save you" is a stretch, in my opinion. (A+ for enthusiasm though!) Brush up your weak areas maybe, but I doubt you can cram 4 years of college into a few weeks.  What was your worst class or grade in college?   (Insert your Answer).  Why? 

I concur, being able to answer every question does NOT guarantee you will pass your technical interviews, and the Admiral does NOT even ask you a technical question, so the study guides are useless with him, but you should not have to "cram" who you are, what you have done in life, what you want to do in life... you better already know that.  Answering the question correctly is good, but you have to be able to demonstrate how you are answering that question, how you think, which is more of what you are being evaluated for.

That being said... study, study, study.  Then cross your fingers, close your eyes and jump.

SSBN_SeaWolf

I didn't see the link worked.  However, here's a link to all the DOE nuclear study guides.   You might find the chapters on Reactor Theory, Thermodynamics, etc similar and helpful.  For those of you that miss your good 'ole navy nuclear fundamentals study guide, you might find these chapters very similar:   http://www.hss.doe.gov/nuclearsafety/ns/techstds/standard/standard.html

Hint: the "why" is the real question....(they will already know the answer to the first).

Good luck. 

My worst grade in College was a "C" in Mechanics of Vibrations and A+ in Thermodynamics and Thermal Plasma Physics, which is basically Nuclear Energy! There is something about Modal Vectors and Damping frequencies, I did not understand. I also had a "C" in Engineering Mechanics: Dynamics. Not a big fan of Mechanics!

co60slr

My worst grade in College was a "C" in Mechanics of Vibrations and A+ in Thermodynamics and Thermal Plasma Physics, which is basically Nuclear Energy! There is something about Modal Vectors and Damping frequencies, I did not understand. I also had a "C" in Engineering Mechanics: Dynamics. Not a big fan of Mechanics!

This answer wouldn't get your very far in an interview.  One postulated interviewer response:   "I didn't ask you about your A+  work, I asked you about your worst course.  So, why didn't you as an Engineer tackle your weak understanding of the subject matter and do better in the Vectors/Freq course?"   "Why aren't you a big fan of Mechanics?"   "You took these courses and did poorly because you didn't like them?   If we (insert organization...commercial or Navy) gives you an engineering assignment that you don't like, are we going to get "C" work from you?"

Plasma physics is "basically nuclear energy"?  (Please tell me you wouldn't say that in an interview for an organization that centralizes in thermal nuclear fission).  Ug...

Co60

SSBN_SeaWolf

I would never say such a thing in Interview, I am aware of the stakes. I may not like Mechanics, but since then I have gone and reviewed most of the material. Conceptually, I understand the material, logically I have an issue. I can understand where you are coming from, but Mechanics is not my strength and I have taken steps to resolve that, such as seek extra help and spend time on it on top of my studies.

TO repeat, I wouldnt say Plasma Physics is Nuclear Energy, it was an inside joke. I apologize for dry humor.

withroaj

I would never say such a thing in Interview, I am aware of the stakes...

Funny thing about www.nukeworker.com...  I'm pretty sure you could very well wind up sitting across the table from one or more members of this forum in a job interview in the industry.  Small world, eh?  :P ;)

co60slr

I would never say such a thing in Interview, I am aware of the stakes. I may not like Mechanics, but since then I have gone and reviewed most of the material. Conceptually, I understand the material, logically I have an issue. I can understand where you are coming from, but Mechanics is not my strength and I have taken steps to resolve that, such as seek extra help and spend time on it on top of my studies.

TO repeat, I wouldnt say Plasma Physics is Nuclear Energy, it was an inside joke. I apologize for dry humor.

"You didn't answer my question.  I didn't ask what you've done since college, I asked why you didn't improve your grade during the course.   Also, your jokes about nuclear power during this interview suggest you're not taking this seriously.  Interview is over.  Please wait out in the hallway."

And before you think I'm just being an Axx, I honestly think this would be a "nice" reply.  Welcome to the world of Nuclear Power.   It's a very unforgiving technology and a very serious industry.

Offline Wanna Know Mom

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
I have a feeling this is the same thing that happens in the Navy Nuke pipeline during proto check offs and oral boards(???)......As uncomfortable as it may be for the interviewee/student it has its purpose (???) in creating a situation that reveals a person's ability to follow instructions, think clearly, react appropriately under stress.  Is this true?
Kathy VPNNM

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
I have a feeling this is the same thing that happens in the Navy Nuke pipeline during proto check offs and oral boards(???)......As uncomfortable as it may be for the interviewee/student it has its purpose (???) in creating a situation that reveals a person's ability to follow instructions, think clearly, react appropriately under stress.  Is this true?
Kathy VPNNM

Absolutely.  The good news is that during checkouts, unless they're totally broken, students walk out with "look-ups."  During final oral boards, the board members will probe every wrong answer to determine the depth of the knowledge deficiency....some you can pass, others you can't.
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

SSBN_SeaWolf

"You didn't answer my question.  I didn't ask what you've done since college, I asked why you didn't improve your grade during the course.   Also, your jokes about nuclear power during this interview suggest you're not taking this seriously.  Interview is over.  Please wait out in the hallway."

And before you think I'm just being an Axx, I honestly think this would be a "nice" reply.  Welcome to the world of Nuclear Power.   It's a very unforgiving technology and a very serious industry.

Lesson learned. Thank you.

Offline G-reg

• Heavy User
  • C'mere and chum some of this...
"Interview is over.  Please wait out in the hallway."

I don't see the part where an actual interview began here.  Perhaps our young friend would have brought his 'A' game to the discussion if that particular point had been made more clear at the onset.

[Edited to be less inflammatory, with full apologies to all.] :-[
« Last Edit: Jul 01, 2009, 01:38 by G-reg »
"But that's just my opinion - I could be wrong."
  -  Dennis Miller

Offline War Eagle

• Moderate User
  • PWR SRO
I think you're being an ass.  "Interview is over"?   Did I miss the part where you declared the interview had begun?

The guy was taking part in a discussion in a forum thread.  Take your penalty flag and get off the ball diamond - you're in the wrong stadium, pal.

I know CO60, he's a great guy.  I think he was just doing a little "role playing" to show SSBN how remarkably unhumorous people at HQ can be during accession interviews. 

My interview sea story:

"I see that you got a C in Calc IV....can you explain why you did so poorly?"

"Well, the course was tough.  I turned it around in later classes"

"Did you do your best in Calc IV?"

"No, I think I could have done better."

"THEN WHY DIDN'T YOU?"

I failed that interview but passed overall.

You really need to put your game face on when you go there.

Offline nubnavydad

• Light User
Thank You for the link Co60. My son is heading off to boot camp in a couple of weeks. Maybe he'll get a chance to study a few of those PDF's if he winds up in a holding division between schools. Every little bit of knowledge helps...

co60slr

Thank You for the link Co60. My son is heading off to boot camp in a couple of weeks. Maybe he'll get a chance to study a few of those PDF's if he winds up in a holding division between schools. Every little bit of knowledge helps...

This is a bit off topic, but I thought of you FutureNavyDad.   During my airline travels last weekend, I happened to be ironically seated amidst a group of young Boots off to Great Lakes.   The one next to me was a Navy Nuke...(and his first time every flying on an airplane).  So, as I'm talking to him about "how to have fun as a navy nuke", he's white-knuckling his seat arm rests.  "Please don't stop talking", he says.   

Anyway, they were all cramming their "10 General Orders" that they'll be required to recite in boot camp...including the Nukes.  A great example of where you have to start...given the tasks at hand and work your way through the process.   If your son can't pass the Boot Camp exams, then there's little point in cramming the DOE Study Guides.   

Offline greenbean

• Moderate User
I was unable to reach the initial link for study materials (www.odu.edu). Did anyone happen to save it and would mind forwarding me a copy?

As for the interviews. Is there anyone here who has experience with giving the interview and would mind sharing pointers?

Is it good to show measured enthusiasm, or is it more appropriate to bring a confident professionalism to the interview? I feel as if this is a cross between trying to join a team and getting selected for a highly elite assignment. Does that sound about right?

No interview date yet, waiting for the application to be reviewed.

neutrons... Neutrons... NEUTRONS!

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."

As for the interviews. Is there anyone here who has experience with giving the interview

Yes
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline greenbean

• Moderate User
re-worded :-)

Does anyone have a copy of the study guide from the www.odu.edu website. If so would you please PM me so I can arrange to get a copy?

What are the 3 worst things you could say in an interview?

What are 3 strengths the interviewers are looking for in new recruits?

« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2009, 10:24 by greenbean »
neutrons... Neutrons... NEUTRONS!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?