Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu mm, em, et, elt?

Author Topic: mm, em, et, elt?  (Read 49397 times)

Offline stephpatton

• Light User
mm, em, et, elt?
« on: May 15, 2009, 12:44 »
OK, looking into the navy to start a new career in the nuclear world.  I would prefer the job that has a good career outlook when I get out, and pretty much gives a good bonus to get in...I keep reading stuff on ELTs, and I don't have a good idea of their job description yet.  so here are my questions:

What is an ELT?
What is the difference between an ET and and EM?
Is it easier to move up in rank in either category?
I scored nearly the same for all sub categories on my asvab, I don't have to take the nfqt or whatever the heck that is, so how will my rate be determined?
Is it true that the chiefs determine your rate for you?
When you swear in at meps, do you prioritize which rate you want?

I also looked through many posts about housing during A school, and I keep getting stuff about kids just getting out of highschool, or mixed messages about us older ones who are married.

I am married, with one daughter.  I'm 24, getting ready to swear in in June.  Is it mandatory to live on base during school?  My husband is a carpenter and we need a workshop for him to work and store all his generators, tools, air compressors, etc, so this is probably not a good situation for us, it won't be all too great trying to fit all that in a small apartment on base, we really need a house with a large garage off base.

I hear mixed stuff about bonuses, pretty much that it fluctuates somewhere between 12 and 20k.  any way to determine before going to meps?  i can always wait until a better month to swear in, might as well make more money for being patient. 

Is there a waiver in case I turn 25 before bootcamp?  I hear that you must not reach 25 before ship date.  there are waivers for everything out there, anyone with personal experience in this matter, please help.  I turn 25 in November. 
If you love someone, set them free.  If they come back, set them on fire. -George Carlin

Fermi2

Re: mm, em, et, elt?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 12:49 »
Well you already failed!

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 01:06 »
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php?topic=17568.0

I did a quick surf, and this one looked closest to applicable:

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,7271.0.html#msg38906

on the off-base housing questions, at least a place to start
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 01:09 by HydroDave63 »

Fermi2

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 01:07 »
I already had my nice moment for the quarter!

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 03:21 »

I am married, with one daughter.  I'm 24, getting ready to swear in in June.  Is it mandatory to live on base during school?  My husband is a carpenter and we need a workshop for him to work and store all his generators, tools, air compressors, etc, so this is probably not a good situation for us, it won't be all too great trying to fit all that in a small apartment on base, we really need a house with a large garage off base.

Honestly, considering the relatively short duration of staying in the area, the added expense of a larger place vs. sailor pay, the complications of arranging a large move like that, finding a place close enough, having enough for first&last month, getting in and out of lease etc..... these are all complications that will place passing your schools at risk.

withroaj

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 04:22 »

What is an ELT?

An ELT, my friend, is a creature of mystery.  ELTs form an elite organization that truly holds the keys to the propulsion plant.  In order to become an ELT you have to volunteer to be a MM to begin with, kick starting the rigorous selection process to allow you a glimpse into the world of chemistry and radiological controls (and nowadays, a whole lot of computer/electronics nonsense).  An ELT's dashing personality and quiet, all-encompassing charm would have you believe he/she has led a charmed existence.  This only shows the caliber of individual selected for such a high scrutiny, deeply involved professional life. 

Masters of their own domain, I believe they're called.  Only apply if you're willing to be the best of the best of the best.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 04:29 by withroaj »

Fermi2

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 04:27 »
Some say the ELT is the most perfect creature in the nuclear world.
Gifted with intellect, charm, wit, wise, hard working, giving, and good looking to boot the ELT is truly one one of the chosen ones.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 04:37 »
you can't spell "elite" without E-L-T  ;)

or, also known as

Easy
Living
Technician

Offline sovbob

• Fact-Checker
  • Moderate User
  • Vanguard of the Vox Populi
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 04:40 »
What is an ELT?
An ELT stands for "Engineering Lab Technician".  These guys (and gals) are responsible for the chemical and radiological aspects of nuclear power operation.  All ELTs are selected from a pool of MM's (Machinist's Mates) and are sent to further schooling.  Because ELTs are derived from machinst's mates, they do have mechanical skills in addition to their Chem/RadCon skills.

What is the difference between an ET and and EM?
An ET stands for Electronics Technician.  And EM stands for Electrician's Mate.  The ET's are responsible for (as you might imagine) the electronics and computer systems associated with the nuclear power plant.  Most often, these are found in the reactor protection system.  EM's are responsible for the electrical power generation and distribution.  Motors, generators, circuit breakers, etc fall under the cognizance of EM's.  There is considerable overlap between the two ratings, and they do attend many of the same classes and qualify many of the same positions.

Is it easier to move up in rank in either category?
Moving up in rank often has more to do with availability than anything else.  You are only competing against others in your own ratings (ET, EM, MM, ELT), so you won't have an advantage over other ratings.  That being said, ET's and, to a lesser extent ELTs, are really struggling to fill their manning requirements and so there's more opportunity for advancement to higher ranks as an ET or ELT (at least right now).

I scored nearly the same for all sub categories on my asvab, I don't have to take the nfqt or whatever the heck that is, so how will my rate be determined?
Should you decide to join the navy, you will go in under NF (Nuclear Field) and report to boot camp.  Within a couple of weeks, all the nukes in your division will be herded into a small classroom where a master chief nuke will explain the different rates to you.  At that time you will fill out a sheet of paper REQUESTING which ratings you want.  They will compile all the forms together, look over their required numbers, look at your scores, look at your requests, and try to make it fit as best they can.  The "Needs of the Navy" takes precedence over your personal requests.  I asked for MM, and got my 2nd choice of EM.  Looking back, I wouldn't want to be one of those dirty knuckle-dragging poo-flinging monkeys anyway.   :P

Is it true that the chiefs determine your rate for you?
I don't know who makes the final decision as to what rate you get, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's that master chief at boot camp who does it.

When you swear in at meps, do you prioritize which rate you want?
No, MEPS only cares about getting you processed and into the system.  Your rating will be decided at boot camp.

When you finish boot camp, you will first be sent to Charleston, SC.  As soon as you arrive and get checked in, they will allow you to go home and pack up your spouse/kids and move out to SC if you desire.  I'm not married, so I'm not famliar with the specifics of this process, but I'm sure the navy will compensate you for relocation.  As far as housing arrangements, I don't think it's going to be a small apartment.  I think it's actual houses (with garages).  There may be a waiting list for on-base housing.  Alternatively, you could get a lease for a place out in town, but it adds complexity to an already stressful situation if you are living out in town.  Honestly, I think you woule be best getting on-base housing.  I don't think it will be as cramped as you think it will be.

I hear mixed stuff about bonuses, pretty much that it fluctuates somewhere between 12 and 20k.  any way to determine before going to meps?  i can always wait until a better month to swear in, might as well make more money for being patient.
12 to 20k?!  Wow, times change.  When I signed up 7 years ago, it was between 8-12k.  The initial signing bonus is usually dependant on when you are scheduled to ship out.  They try to adjust the flow of new students so there are no fluctuations.  August is the most popular time for people to go to boot camp (high school seniors graduate, enjoy their last summer of freedom and then head off to boot camp).  December, January and February are the least popular (it's a little chilly up there in Great Lakes, IL).  So I would recommend talking to the recruiter and find out when would be the best time to ship out.

Is there a waiver in case I turn 25 before bootcamp?  I hear that you must not reach 25 before ship date.  there are waivers for everything out there, anyone with personal experience in this matter, please help.  I turn 25 in November.
Where did you get that number?  25 seems awfully young for something like that.  I know for a fact that there were people MUCH older than 25 in my nuke school classes.  If there is a restriction on people 25 and older, I have absolutely no doubt you would be able to get it.  Even so, I think you heard wrong, because the age limit is probably closer to 35 than 25.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 05:05 by sovbob »
"Everyone's entitled to be stupid now and then, but you're abusing the privilege."

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 04:44 »
An ELT, my friend, is a creature of mystery. 

Just like the 17 year cicada...shiny, inedible and an annoyingly loud buzzing  :P

withroaj

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 04:52 »
Just like the 17 year cicada...shiny, inedible and an annoyingly loud buzzing  :P

That buzzing is just the air of excellence.  Can't help it.

mooredee13

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 05:13 »
Well, crank up the flamethrowers (even though this is all in fun!!):

You already qualify for training as an ELT due to the non-standing manner in which you void condensation from your FWDCTs.

(That's "squats to pee" for any of the rocks out there! Try using the "search" function.)

Forgive me, but you have to consider the source: I'm a nuke MM who learned how to weld after I got out and has been in the chemical industry for almost 20 years: I not only glow, but I'm well-preserved!

Fermi2

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 05:38 »
My aura impresses even me. I'm grounded in my humility.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 06:36 »
My aura impresses even me. I'm grounded in my humility.

Or more like corona discharge, with a cold solder connection on your personnel ground :P

On-topic: What does the original poster plan to do jobwise after EAOS?

withroaj

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2009, 06:38 »
Or more like corona discharge, with a cold solder connection on your personnel ground :P

On-topic: What does the original poster plan to do jobwise after EAOS?

Isn't EAOS a bit irrelevant while in DEP?  Most people don't start counting until at least boot camp...

voidwhereprohibited

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2009, 08:22 »
12 to 20k?!  Wow, times change. 

try 21-25k..those are the current enlistment bonuses for NF.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2009, 11:05 »
Chump change.

Justin

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2009, 11:21 »
ELT

Excellence
  Listlessness
    Temperance

Excellence in all that you must remember to do, check, double check, audit, recheck, audit again, and redo.
Listlessness cause someone is always auditing your stuff and has a new idea how to do it better.
Temperance for all the jealous sonsabitches that aren't ELTs.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2009, 11:25 »
ELT

Excellence
  Listlessness
    Temperance

Excellence in all that you must remember to do, check, double check, audit, recheck, audit again, and redo.
Listlessness cause someone is always auditing your stuff and has a new idea how to do it better.
Temperance for all the jealous sonsabitches that aren't ELTs.

Another
  Buzzing
    Cicada  ;)

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2009, 11:37 »
An ELT stands for "Engineering Lab Technician".  These guys (and gals) are responsible for the chemical and radiological aspects of nuclear power operation.  All ELTs are selected from a pool of MM's (Machinist's Mates) and are sent to further schooling.  Because ELTs are derived from machinst's mates, they do have mechanical skills in addition to their Chem/RadCon skills.

I question the validity of ELTs having true mechanic skills until you can prove to me that an ELT can properly install a mechanical seal on a a centrifugal pump without ruining the seal.
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

Fermi2

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2009, 11:39 »
SMAG meaning Super Mechanical Aptitude God right?

Fermi2

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2009, 11:56 »
I question the validity of ELTs having true mechanic skills until you can prove to me that an ELT can properly install a mechanical seal on a a centrifugal pump without ruining the seal.

Give me any piece of equipment and I will repair or rebuild it faster, more efficiently and better than any regular MM.

Mike

Fermi2

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2009, 11:57 »
Hadn't heard that one before.  Nice come back.  But, I did have another one in mind .... :P 

Wait there's another one? :)

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2009, 12:01 »
Give me any piece of equipment and I will repair or rebuild it faster, more efficiently and better than any regular MM.

Mike

Well then, you sir, are a MM who just happened to be an ELT.  Congratulations on being a rare breed.  It ranks right up there with ETs who don't play Magic/D&D/WoW/etc, JO's who realize they don't know everything, and Nukes who actually enjoy being in the Navy. 
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

Fermi2

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2009, 12:22 »
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?