Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Is this reasonable?
honeypot

Author Topic: Is this reasonable?  (Read 2998 times)

jlove15

Is this reasonable?
« on: May 17, 2009, 01:40 »
It will probably help if I explain a little bit before I pose my question, so here it goes.  I'm a senior in college and a Math major.  My career goals are to be a meteorologist.  I've processed at MEPS with the Navy, scored a 96 on the AFQT and needed to get more medical documents before I could sign a contract.  After talking more with my recruiter I've learned that the AG job that I was going to get has since been taken.

Doing the delayed entry program in order to finish my B.S. in Math is important to me.  I want to join the Navy for many reasons but mainly to have my student loans paid for. 

For a while now while I was finishing this semester, I'd been really adamant about getting the AG job.  Knowing what I know now and after thinking more about this decision, I'm equally as excited about experiencing the Navy in another job because I can still attain my goals.

I want to know if it's reasonable to believe that I could, along with the Nuclear Power School, finish a degree in Nuclear Engineering while serving the country.  Is this something else to consider, or should I think about another job besides nuke that would afford me an opportunity to either finish another Bachelor's Degree or to complete a Master's in Meteorology and Oceanography?

Thank you for an help that you can offer.

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
Re: Is this reasonable?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 06:40 »
If you join the navy as a nuke, any plans to complete another degree, or a graduate degree will need to be put on hold for the next several years or so.
NPS is a full-time job, followed by prototype, which is a full time job on a rotating shift.  Then off to the fleet, where you'll need to get qualified the basic watches (EOOW/EDO), not to mention OOD after that....at this point you've been in the navy for 2 years or so.  Spend some time learning the different jobs at your seagoing command, then off to PNEO and the engineer's exam.  All the while, going to sea for anywhere from few days at a time, to 9 month deployments.  The good news is, the sea time gives you ample time to study by immersing yourself in the study material.
That said, stick with it long enough, and the navy will pick up the cost of your graduate degree.
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 07:39 »
It is possible to earn a Masters in Engineering Management from ODU while on the boat.  The classes are offered via CD-Rom and are self-paced (maximum of 90 days per class).  Outside of this option, NukeLDO is 100% correct.
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Fermi2

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 11:05 »
Rocky,

You're a good role model for Navy and commercial nukes on matters like these.
What route did you go to get your degrees?

jlove15

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 01:10 »
Thank you everyone for the information.  I think that I knew deep down my illusions of having two degrees by the time 6 years was over were not necessarily going to come to fruition, but it was definitely nice to think about. 

With that said, I've been pondering about enlisting and getting the student loan repayment benefit or pursuing an officer career.  As it stands right now I'm positive that I want to be a meteorologist and if the Navy can give me a chance to reach those goals then I'm ready to go.  Given that I have another year until I graduate, is it worth my while to pursue the NUPOC program?  As an officer I'll get valuable leadership experience and training that I could only dream of otherwise while also having the chance to attend the Naval Postgraduate School in California.  As an officer in the nuclear field would I have any time to pursue a Master's Degree in Meteorology or would it be just as difficult?

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 03:27 »
Given that I have another year until I graduate, is it worth my while to pursue the NUPOC program?  As an officer I'll get valuable leadership experience and training that I could only dream of otherwise while also having the chance to attend the Naval Postgraduate School in California.  As an officer in the nuclear field would I have any time to pursue a Master's Degree in Meteorology or would it be just as difficult?

Only you can decide if NUPOC is worth it or not.

Now, a note about Naval Post-Graduate school....

You will not get sent there until you are up for shore duty.  And, you won't get sent there unless you are staying in the navy.

So,  if you want to go to NPGS to get your Master's degree, plan on staying in at least ten years.

Cheers,
GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?