Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Grad Student Considering Navy Nuclear

Author Topic: Grad Student Considering Navy Nuclear  (Read 7935 times)

Innocent

Grad Student Considering Navy Nuclear
« on: May 18, 2009, 05:12 »
Hi there,

I'm quite happy to have found this forum since it seems to have nicely collected answers to many of the questions I've had about life as a Navy Nuke.  I'm still reading through some of the suggested threads, so perhaps some of these questions are answered there, but I thought I'd post and ask for some advice as well.

First though, a little bit about myself (and sorry about the length).  I am a third year Ph.D student in Chemical Engineering, I graduated with a 3.4 GPA from a top undergraduate program, with additional work in liberal arts and hard sciences.  I'm technically oriented and feel that I would have no problem whatsoever academically with the nuclear program.  I also have discovered recently that I enjoy management and leadership, especially when it comes to problem solving.

My best friend is a SWO(N), and is in his fourth year of service, so I am well informed with regards to what nuke school itself is like, as well as somewhat with what life in the surface fleet is like.

Given my own interests, my lack of any family attachments at the moment (though who knows when that may change?), and my growing boredom with my own line of work I am giving serious consideration to becoming a Submarine Officer.  When I finish my Ph.D I will be 29 years old, the maximum age allowed without waiver for applying to OCS for submarines.  I've long though about serving, and this looks to be my last chance to do so before having to live with that on my conscience for the rest of my life.  I also feel that the Navy would provide some serious motivation to getting on with my life and getting in (and staying in) physical shape.

Now some questions and concerns:

1)  I have read about the program for current students to earn money while in school if they agree to become a Nuclear Officer after school.  May this apply to grad school as well?  I am paid a stipend already, but the stipend for this program is significantly higher as is the hefty signing bonus.  What are the ramifications of accepting this program if you DOR from OCS?  Will you be forced to enlist for 5 years?  Pay back the money you earned?

2) Barring disqualification, what are the chances to join Submarines if this is requested? 

3) How likely are you to be assigned to your preferred type of submarine (in my case fast attack versus boomer)?

4) How brutal is life as a Submarine Officer post-qualification?  I have read many stories by enlisted sailors, but not from Officers. 

5) I do not believe that I would be interested in a specifically Nuclear-field of engineering after leaving the Navy (if I were not to stay in long term), how does time served as a Navy Nuclear Officer translate into the civil world outside of nuclear engineering?  Since I would be joining with a Ph.D already under my belt I am not interested in further graduate school, except perhaps to pursue an MBA.

6) Would my age or doctorate have any likely impact (positive or negative) on my Naval career?

7) How good is the pay for a Submarine Officer?  I have consistently read "good" but without specifics.  I know it is impolite to ask someone how much they earn, but given potentially lucrative employment in the civilian world as a Ph.D engineer this is something that I should at least take into consideration.

Edited to add that my engineering discipline is Chemical Engineering, not that I think it matters too much.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 06:50 by Innocent »

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
Re: Grad Student Considering Navy Nuclear
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 07:48 »

1)  I have read about the program for current students to earn money while in school if they agree to become a Nuclear Officer after school.  May this apply to grad school as well?  I am paid a stipend already, but the stipend for this program is significantly higher as is the hefty signing bonus.  What are the ramifications of accepting this program if you DOR from OCS?  Will you be forced to enlist for 5 years?  Pay back the money you earned?

I'm not fully up to speed on this to answer adequately.

2) Barring disqualification, what are the chances to join Submarines if this is requested? 

100%

3) How likely are you to be assigned to your preferred type of submarine (in my case fast attack versus boomer)?

You want a fast boat, I'd bet you'll get it.....However, the old caveat applies....."Needs of the navy"

4) How brutal is life as a Submarine Officer post-qualification?  I have read many stories by enlisted sailors, but not from Officers. 

Life is not that bad as a fully qualified JO.  However, you likely will not be fully qualified for about 2 years.

5) I do not believe that I would be interested in a specifically Nuclear-field of engineering after leaving the Navy (if I were not to stay in long term), how does time served as a Navy Nuclear Officer translate into the civil world outside of nuclear engineering?  Since I would be joining with a Ph.D already under my belt I am not interested in further graduate school, except perhaps to pursue an MBA.

Have you considered applying for a Naval Reactors Engineer position???

6) Would my age or doctorate have any likely impact (positive or negative) on my Naval career?

Yes....and No....It depends what route you take.

7) How good is the pay for a Submarine Officer?  I have consistently read "good" but without specifics.  I know it is impolite to ask someone how much they earn, but given potentially lucrative employment in the civilian world as a Ph.D engineer this is something that I should at least take into consideration.

You'll be making 6 figures after about 5 years of service.

Any other questions???  Send me a PM.

Cheers,
GC
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 07:50 by Gamecock »
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Innocent

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 04:04 »
Gamecock answered a number of questions I had via PM, which I greatly appreciate, I'd really love to hear from anyone else that has any input to add as well.  Joining the Navy would be a life altering decision, and I tend to enter these things without significant forethought and consideration of the possibilities.  I'd love to hear from anyone else who has experienced life as a Submarine Officer, or Surface Nuclear officer, or Enlisted Nuke if they have anything they think might be relevant to my situation.

Offline xforcehunter

• Light User
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 09:41 »
Just make sure that you do some serious soul searching before you make any commitments.  I love being a submariner!  But, you've gotta be the right kind of person.  I've seen way too many people that signed up for the wrong reasons.  If you want to serve and you want to be a submariner, then you have to be willing to give 100% of yourself to your boat.  Service is about sacrifice.  You can't have one without the other.  If you're willing to sacrifice, then you can have one of the most rewarding experiences of your life as a submariner!  And, since you don't have a family, I recommend that you try to get on a fast boat.  It will be much more adventurous!

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 03:45 »
I would consider unqualified junior officer in a submarine wardroom to be one of the toughest jobs in the Navy.  
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Innocent

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 03:51 »
I would consider unqualified junior officer in a submarine wardroom to be one of the toughest jobs in the Navy.  
That's what I've been hearing from just about everywhere I've read.  Was just curious if post-qualification things are much easier, sounds like that is the case but that's still a very tough row to hoe (though also uniquely rewarding).

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?