Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Would I be qualified to be a candidate for the nupoc program?  

Author Topic: Would I be qualified to be a candidate for the nupoc program?  (Read 7383 times)

uchihay2g

Right now, I am a senior about to graduate from Polytech of NYU with a B.S. in mathematics and a minor in physics and chem. I have a  3.75 G.P.A in my math, 3.35 in my physics, and a 3.3 in my chem courses and a cumilative gpa of 3.64 in all my courses.  I would like to know if my major is technical enough and also if my age will be a problem. I turned 25 this year and was told that i could not get a waiver for the nuclear program as enlisted due to not only my age, but the fact that I have too many college credits.  I also scored a 98 on my asvab. Is that a good indication of how well i would do on the OAR test for officers. I remember the main line scores.

AFQT- 98
MK-70
PC-66
WK-63
AR-64
VE-67

Any advice would be most appreciated. please contact or respond to this post asap. Thanks
« Last Edit: Jun 05, 2009, 11:47 by BeerCourt »

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
Right now, I am a senior about to graduate from Polytech of NYU with a B.S. in mathematics and a minor in physics and chem. I have a  3.75 G.P.A in my math, 3.35 in my physics, and a 3.3 in my chem courses and a cumilative gpa of 3.64 in all my courses.  I would like to know if my major is technical enough and also if my age will be a problem. I turned 25 this year and was told that i could not get a waiver for the nuclear program as enlisted due to not only my age, but the fact that I have too many college credits.  I also scored a 98 on my asvab. Is that a good indication of how well i would do on the OAR test for officers. I remember the main line scores.

AFQT- 98
MK-70
PC-66
WK-63
AR-64
VE-67

Any advice would be most appreciated. please contact or respond to this post asap. Thanks

Contact an officer recruiter. He will have the most current gouge.

“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline Neutron Whisperer

• Moderate User
  • What do you bring to the table?
Would i be qualify to be a candidate for the nupoc program?

With skills like that...yes!
Disclaimer: there is no "tone" to my post.

Offline juggalonic

• Light User
You should contact your local Officer Recruiter, make sure it is the Officer Recruiter.

The main screening classes are Calc I & II, and Calc-based Physics I & II.  Your age is not an issue at all, as the cap is 29 for the NUPOC Program (there are waivers for this, N/A in your case).  Which part of the program are you looking at?  Your GPA is a little low for Naval Reactors Egineer, but good to go for the other three - Submarine Officer, Surface Wareface Officer (Nuke) (no self-respecting man would want this though, you can do all those missions from under the water as a Subamriner), and Nuclear Power School Instructor. 

There is no OAR test for this program, you apply and then you get screened and invited to interview or not invited.

If you have other questions specific to the NUPOC Program you can check out the blog maintined by one of the other Nuclear Program Officers, www.navynupoc.blogspot.com

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Surface Wareface Officer (Nuke) (no self-respecting man would want this though, you can do all those missions from under the water as a Subamriner

Such as Pirate Interdiction (or spell check???)

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
Such as Pirate Interdiction (or spell check???)
Your GPA is a little low for Naval Reactors Egineer

Dave,

Surprised you missed this one.

V/R

Spell-O
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Sometimes even the fattest pug occasionally drops a kibbel....

when do we get a CGN(X) ?  ;)

Offline DLGN25

• Moderate User
Sometimes even the fattest pug occasionally drops a kibbel....

when do we get a CGN(X) ?  ;)

Not a chance... They are way to expensive to build and man, that is why the CGN's died with the Aegis gas turbine cruisers.
USS Bainbridge DLGN-25 crew 475
USS Leahy crew 445
and the last real cruiser, the USS Long Beach at 15,540 tons had a crew of 1,160

Compared to the gas turbine powered
 USS Bainbridge DDG-96 crew 270,
 or Ticonderoga-class Aegis guided missile cruiser with a crew 360

Surely oak and three-fold brass surrounded his heart who first trusted a frail vessel to a merciless ocean.  Horace

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
You're right with your observation.  But, that's what HydroDave was saying as well.  The little 'winkie' is the give away.

Hey -- let's not get personal here. The size of Dave's winkie is not for public speculation.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Y'all sound like a bunch of sub sailors!   8)

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
Y'all sound like a bunch of sub sailors!   8)

Never been one, so I wouldn't know...  :o
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?