Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu How can I make my time in the Navy a good one? honeypot

Author Topic: How can I make my time in the Navy a good one?  (Read 25899 times)

Offline Wanna Know Mom

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: How can I make my time in the Navy a good one?
« Reply #25 on: Jun 05, 2009, 10:26 »
To be honest I wouldn't tread there. The women in the Navy are your fellow professionals and should be treated as such.

Thank you. Appreciate that tidbit of advice.
Kathy VPNNM

USCredZ350

« Reply #26 on: Jun 05, 2009, 05:12 »
After reading the last few posts in this forum, I realized that by the things I've said I haven't exactly portrayed myself in a manner that truly represents myself.  I may have come across as cocky in my postings but I assure you that I'm not, I actually don't get along with people who are generally cocky.  If I do something good, and I know it, I usually keep the boasting to myself because I know how aggravated I get when somebody makes sure to remind you 1000 times about what they just did.  To be fair though, maybe I am a bit cocky and just don't realize it as much as others.  That is definitely something I will have to keep in check, especially since I know I have start at the bottom while in the military and work my way up.  I'm devoted to being a team player and would rather my "team" get praise more so than just myself.  Not to say the occasional "atta boy" directed at me isn't appreciated  :).  And also, I want to apologize again for the comment about fraternizing with fellow shipmates.  It was meant more so as a joke but I know it offended some readers, as well as made me look like a jack@$$  to others.  Once again, thank you so much to everyone who can contribute to these forums to help out people like me about to take a huge step in their lives.  You all have helped eased some of the stress I have been dealing with as well as fellow deppers.  Have a great weekend all!

IPREGEN

« Reply #27 on: Jun 06, 2009, 06:36 »
 I was referring to the ladies you meet on liberty when you are all happy and drunk. Basically at your weakest thinking moments. Shipmates should be hands off.

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #28 on: Jun 06, 2009, 10:41 »
The advice in this column is spot on.  However, not everyone follows it.  It is a VERY COMMON occurance for students going through the pipeline to start relationships.  IT is also VERY COMMON for those same students to due stupid stuff and get married at the drop of a hat, move into base housing, have a kid so one of them can get that hardship discharge(usually the female), and have things fall apart in the end.  Whatever you do, do be one of the statistics. 

As far as out on the ship, it is absolutely forbidden to engage in any kind of "physical relations" while on board the ship.  Does it happen?  Yes, and more than you would imagine.  Do people get caught?  Yes and the punishment is pretty severe(We had a guy get 3 days bread and water, of course there were other circumstances).  Just remember that not every relationship you start is going to end well so imagine having to work with that very same person for many more years after the end of the relationship.  Also consider that the other person could be on your watch team and in fact be put in a position to be your supervisor.  I personally wouldn't want to have to deal with that particular situation, so it is best to avoid relationships between sailors.
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

withroaj

« Reply #29 on: Jun 16, 2009, 11:34 »
The advice in this column is spot on.  However, not everyone follows it.  It is a VERY COMMON occurance for students going through the pipeline to start relationships.  IT is also VERY COMMON for those same students to due stupid stuff and get married at the drop of a hat, move into base housing, have a kid so one of them can get that hardship discharge(usually the female), and have things fall apart in the end.  Whatever you do, do be one of the statistics. 

As far as out on the ship, it is absolutely forbidden to engage in any kind of "physical relations" while on board the ship.  Does it happen?  Yes, and more than you would imagine.  Do people get caught?  Yes and the punishment is pretty severe(We had a guy get 3 days bread and water, of course there were other circumstances).  Just remember that not every relationship you start is going to end well so imagine having to work with that very same person for many more years after the end of the relationship.  Also consider that the other person could be on your watch team and in fact be put in a position to be your supervisor.  I personally wouldn't want to have to deal with that particular situation, so it is best to avoid relationships between sailors.

You should see the hangar bay on the first "long" (10+ day) underway on a newly commissioned carrier.  All of the secret little budding romances unable to be kept in hiding.  Put boys and girls in close quarters under stressful circumstances and some people lose sight of the need for a professional environment.  It seems like the raging hormones go higher than any possible sea state.  I guess you could say it's kind of cute in a sad, strange little way. :-\  I'm gonna call it my first true introduction to the coed Navy.  Weird.

To be honest I wouldn't tread there. The women in the Navy are your fellow professionals and should be treated as such.

I'm gonna agree with you there 110%, but the ratio of sex-starved young males to females leads to some strange outcomes.  At times you see hard working women treated like china dolls just because they are kind of cute.  The guys think they are giving the girls a good deal (potentially giving them a chance to pass on their genetic material), and the women get bored, frustrated and held back by the unwanted "special treatment."  The surface fleet is a strange animal, indeed.
« Last Edit: Jun 16, 2009, 11:46 by withroaj »

Offline DLGN25

• Moderate User
« Reply #30 on: Jun 16, 2009, 04:55 »
As RADM Howard A. Yeager said in the sixties at Great Lakes, when asked why SP were writing up young Navy men and women in uniform holding hands. "Sailors do not hold hands with sailors."  I see things have not changed a lot over the years.

When I was in, I tried to be a good shipmate with everyone, but a friend to only a few, and those few were never subordinates.
Surely oak and three-fold brass surrounded his heart who first trusted a frail vessel to a merciless ocean.  Horace

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?